Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Carryacutebag?section_id=6938728

I had posted a link to these in the Muzzeto thread on a tangent. I had discovered them while hunting for a bag similar to the Vera Bradley Hipster but in a fabric i liked, which would be something to tide me over until i could save up for the Muzetto.

I've been "talking" with the owner of the shop, Julie, and she is more than willing to make any modifications you'd want. I originally thought that i'd want a longer flap similar to the Muzetto - but then i realized that i was trying to make a solution for 2 issues/bags. I want something to carry the iPad in that isn't my Timbuk2, but then also would like something like that that can also do some purse duties.

At the moment, i'm pondering a solution that combines the iPad Cozy and the iPhone cozy for the purse duties (I don't carry a wallet). I'm hoping Julie comes back with a cool way to attach them together so it is easy and then i could get a subdued iPad Cozy with a funky iPhone cozy and satisfy both sides of my brain! LOL!!

Also, note that she has more fabrics that what she is selling pre-made and has samples of on her BLOG, so be sure to ask her if you don't see something you click with right away.

For me, this bag works better than all the other ones i looked at on Etsy. i'm not a big zipper person, so right away any with zippers on top got discarded. But if you haven't wanted Etsy looking at bags for the iPad - even the guys - do so, there are a huge variety of choices. Some really nice leather ones too!

So i'm not a customer yet of Carryacutebag, but i'm planning on it in the next couple of weeks and can say that I got a response to my initial inquiry on mods to the bag in a couple of hours (if that).

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I got the bag I ordered from Janine King Designs and am kind of iffy about it. It is a very nice bag and beautiful but not really what I wanted.

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.154291656.jpg

I have my iPad in a portfolio case and it is a very tight fit. I had to stretch it out a little without the case first. I'm too chicken to put stuff in the front pocket because of how tight the fit is. Not only that but the bag is so padded that I would feel weird using it as a handbag.

I think i might just say screw it and save up for the muzetto.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Oh bummer :(

I see there isn't any pictures of the bag with the ipad in it or from the top - that might have helped.

I'm still pondering what i'm going to do - love how budget constraints make these types of things easier! LOL!!

I'm thinking my target of my birthday (Thanksgiving-ish) is going to be a bit ambitious for the Muzetto - considering i have Christmas to shop for too. I guess i need to figure out what i'm going to do for that huh?

Are you going to return the bag? You should if it doesn't fit well.

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I think we need to start a 'Help Tracy get a Muzetto' fund going! :D Can we get 200 people to PayPal Tracy a dollar each until her birthday?! Woo hoo!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
LOL!

Lord help me, i'm looking at SEWING PATTERNS.

I hate when i think i can be creative and sew. My 14yo sits back and laughs her behind at me because sewing stresses me out! :eek: Darn shame you can't make such a bag out of paper, i'm a whiz with paper and an exacto knife!

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2156-accessories.aspx

I think i'll drag her up to joann's - hmmm, maybe i can convince her to make one for herself first and I can watch and see how hard it would be.....

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

Attachments

• Picture 667.png
    Picture 667.png
    384.9 KB · Views: 122

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I wish I could sew...I would definitely make my own.

I am not going to return it though...it isn't exactly what I wanted but I will still use it. Since it is such a perfect fit it is basically like a really padded sleeve case. I think over time the padding will wear down and it will be a little roomier.

I ended up buying this. http://www.briefcase.com/David-King-187-Vertical-Leather-Messenger-Bag-p/dk-187.htm

I really do like the muzetto but i was looking at the 13 inch one so I could use it interchangeably with my laptop...it is too expensive right now especially because i am not too crazy about the colors available...if they had a deep purple I would have that bag now. The David king bag looks like it will be able to hold both my iPad and laptop at the same time because it is thicker...And while it is a unisex bag I think the buckle on the front makes it slightly less masculine. Hopefully it will be enough to end my new obsession with bags lol. I am starting to feel like my biggest use of the iPad is looking up accessories to buy for my iPad haha.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

I am not going to return it though...it isn't exactly what I wanted but I will still use it. Since it is such a perfect fit it is basically like a really padded sleeve case. I think over time the padding will wear down and it will be a little roomier.

I ended up buying this. http://www.briefcase.com/David-King-187-Vertical-Leather-Messenger-Bag-p/dk-187.htm

I really do like the muzetto but i was looking at the 13 inch one so I could use it interchangeably with my laptop...it is too expensive right now especially because i am not too crazy about the colors available...if they had a deep purple I would have that bag now. The David king bag looks like it will be able to hold both my iPad and laptop at the same time because it is thicker...And while it is a unisex bag I think the buckle on the front makes it slightly less masculine. Hopefully it will be enough to end my new obsession with bags lol. I am starting to feel like my biggest use of the iPad is looking up accessories to buy for my iPad haha.

You mean there are other things I'm supposed to do with it?

Oh, right, look up iPhone accessories too! :D

I'm at three sleeves (two Etsy, one leather M-Edge), one case (MacAlly), and three different stands so far. Plus, as it turns out, the waterproof bag I've been using to read my Kindle in the tub is a perfect fit for the iPad--it's great for using the Epicurious and Betty Crocker apps in the kitchen. And yet, I still haven't found the perfect case, and I keep scouring the net hoping someone will bring it out soon!

Preferably in some fabulous colors... LOL

Tracey, that bag pattern looks cute. I hate sewing so much, I flunked it twice in jr. high, but I still labor regularly under the delusion of "I could make THAT!" Needless to say, I never actually get around to making anything, but one can dream, right?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

I like that one! Thankfully i don't need a bag for my laptop too - have that covered (Incase Sling) and my iPad would fit in there if need be. I can cram a boatload of stuff in that small bag. Even my portable printer! :D

Update when you get it!

You mean there are other things I'm supposed to do with it?

Oh, right, look up iPhone accessories too! :D

I'm at three sleeves (two Etsy, one leather M-Edge), one case (MacAlly), and three different stands so far. Plus, as it turns out, the waterproof bag I've been using to read my Kindle in the tub is a perfect fit for the iPad--it's great for using the Epicurious and Betty Crocker apps in the kitchen. And yet, I still haven't found the perfect case, and I keep scouring the net hoping someone will bring it out soon!

Preferably in some fabulous colors... LOL
LOL, thankfully i don't have an iPhone to need to shop for more accessories. i tend to take my time and normally am pretty happy with waiting. I'm not excited about my Speck Candyshell - but it is doing what i need and i haven't found anything else i want to spend any money on yet either. I'm hoping by the fall there will be a better selection out there!

Tracey, that bag pattern looks cute. I hate sewing so much, I flunked it twice in jr. high, but I still labor regularly under the delusion of "I could make THAT!" Needless to say, I never actually get around to making anything, but one can dream, right?
Oh too funny! I hate it, but aced it. It just stresses me out instead of relaxing me. I'm a scrapbooker - i can sit all day and play with paper and cut it out, but this fabric stuff. UGH. Yuck.

I've started on the practice bag for my youngest. Now my middle one wants one too - and the oldest tried to steal MY FABRIC. I guess i picked a decent pair of colors? I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow, it's overcast and trying to rain and DARK here.

I think i have the modifications to the inside i want to do figured out. The biggie will be how the bag feels when it is done, I'm not thinking it is going to be stiff enough for me, which will have me lining the whole thing maybe. I might have to practice on that 2nd one for the other kid if it comes to that! LOL!! Although, the interfacing i bought was supposed to be heavyweight, and it said that on the end, but it doesn't say that on the instructions. UGH.

This all would be easier if they hadn't lost my rotary mat ruler thing. Twerps.

Back to the kitchen and seeing what pieces i want to cut next. Front and back done and interfaced....

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Oh ugh...way easier with a rotary cutter and mat! Those things were a brilliant invention.

As far as stiffness goes--you could put some plastic embroidery canvas in between the lining and outer fabric if your interfacing isn't enough. One lady I know did that with a padded fabric sleeve she'd purchased for her Kindle. Another used the basic "fun foam" craft foam you can pick up at most craft or fabric stores. Neither option is very washable though.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I had to stop cutting for the night. Seriously, I need the big plastic ruler!

The 6yo that will get this bag thinks it is going to be done in the morning, ha, she's nuts! I had her pick out the piece colors from the fabric we had. I had bought it with visions of sewing grandeur cheaply, 4 different ones that go together. She's tolerating it not being pink even.

Back to the actual bag making, I'm thinking that a layer of felt or flannel would work. I'm not sure though. I will have to sew the flap together and take it into Joanns and ask them. A perk of living in a retirement community, no lack of qualified seamstresses to offer help!

It's going to be too thick for me, the sides are 4", with 1/2" seam allowance and I don't want mine that thick. I was going to make hers smaller, but decided I needed to follow the pattern first! :eek:

My pondering tonight becomes what to line the one for the iPad with since I don't have a case with a cover. I should have looked at the flannel I guess, I know I don't have any here that will work. And how much space to leave for a future case change.....

I should have started this as a new thread, I guess I could change the title!

Ok, off to play a game or 2 of solitaire!

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
How would you rate your sewing skills? Would that book be for someone who doesn't really know how to sew? About 15 years ago in home ec I had to sew a bean bag...that is my sewing experience. However, I would absolutely love to learn to sew. The problem is that sewing things like bean bags is really boring. Would that book be good for someone like me? I figure maybe that and some really cheap fabric just to try it out...hmmm. I just know exactly what I want in a bag and haven't been able to find it anywhere so to make my own would be hot!

And for your bag I would probably do it similar to how laptop bags are where they put a padded area in for the laptop. It feels like it is just a piece of foam with some material over it. It would be cool if the inserts were removable so if you want to use the bag without anything that needs extra protection you don't have to have the foam in there.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
How would you rate your sewing skills? Would that book be for someone who doesn't really know how to sew? About 15 years ago in home ec I had to sew a bean bag...that is my sewing experience. However, I would absolutely love to learn to sew. The problem is that sewing things like bean bags is really boring. Would that book be good for someone like me? I figure maybe that and some really cheap fabric just to try it out...hmmm. I just know exactly what I want in a bag and haven't been able to find it anywhere so to make my own would be hot!

And for your bag I would probably do it similar to how laptop bags are where they put a padded area in for the laptop. It feels like it is just a piece of foam with some material over it. It would be cool if the inserts were removable so if you want to use the bag without anything that needs extra protection you don't have to have the foam in there.
More on this later.

But hey, i'm ready to SEW something. Only, the cord to the machine has gone MIA. HMPH.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Cord was located, not after the teen in the house had to um, clean some in her room!

I have the tube that is the outside sewn and ready for the bottom to go on, that will happen after lunch.

This is the first time I've sewn with something lined with interfacing everywhere, I could decided EVERYTHINg needs it! wow, it makes it soooo much easier to sew.

I added the felt to the flap and i think the weight is going to be just right on it, but i will see when I'm done. I'm not going to make it to joann's today to get stiffer interfacing for the bottom, so i think I'm going to try some felt on it on the liner to give it some bulk. I have felt coming out my ears around here so its a cheap trial.

Ok, lunch then back at it before i have to leave at 2.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Oh my gosh, it looks like a BAG!! I did it!!!!!!

OK, it needs the strap, but i'm soooo excited!!! Off to unload the pictures!

(oh, and that 6" hole in the lining where you turn it right side out, must sew that up! LOL!!)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
OK, strap is on, the hole is sewn (almost forgot) and the 6yo is very happy!!

I'm also very happy i made the practice bag. I have a few things that I will need to change for mine, and I have a better feel for how i might want to make it cozy for the iPad. I'll work on that tomorrow since it is my big waiting room day!

But this is going to work well for what I wanted!!! :D

Here are some pics before the strap, and then of the brown fabric i chose for mine along with the accent/pocket fabric.

Attachments

• Picture 669.png
    Picture 669.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture 670.png
    Picture 670.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 671.png
    Picture 671.png
    107 KB · Views: 668
  • Picture 672.png
    Picture 672.png
    309 KB · Views: 103

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Wow. Looks great! Are you going to do a separate pocket or additional padding on yours for the iPad?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Wow. Looks great! Are you going to do a separate pocket or additional padding on yours for the iPad?

Yup, I just needed to get a feel for the size as it was in the pattern, and how it all goes together.

This is 3" deep, and I thought it would be too much, but with two pockets it would work. So some thinking on my part about all of that and how to put it all together.

The first thing that changes is the interfacing, it isn't stiff enough on the sides at all. I had added a layer of felt on the bottom and that worked well, so I might do that for mine on the sides somehow. I'm also not going to sew the strap on mine, but use something like the bag I posted in the first post.

Back to the ipad pocket. I could also make the iPad pocket more like a sleeve that would come in and out (Velcro?). Then it could be slightly more universal in use, and wouldn't be 500 layers to sew thru. I will think about it before I start. My 11yo wasn't happy to hear she had to wait for hers until mine was done, so I might get another practice one in there.

I just need to ponder it all!

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
That looks amazing! Are you sewing by hand or using a machine? If machine what kind? That with a cellphone pocket on the side that closes is like exactly what I want.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Don't do Velcro on the bottom of the bag...it is a pain. One of my purses has it and it gets so stuck of other stuff and isn't very reliable. It was there for this thing that holds all of my cards...i ended up pulling it out and leave everything loose when i use that purse.

I was thinking it would be cool to make a padded matching sleeve case type of thing. No zippers or closures...open on the top...or maybe a small flap over...

That way you wouldn't have to worry about small loose stuff sliding into the ipad compartment either.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That looks amazing! Are you sewing by hand or using a machine? If machine what kind? That with a cellphone pocket on the side that closes is like exactly what I want.

Machine, it's a Brother cs-5000, er, or 6000. I should know, I had to download the manual again for it today. I love the machine, which is odd coming from someone that hates to sew! You can use it without a foot, much easier for me that way. We got it at walmart when the singer my MIL bought my daughter died under warranty. The bobbin threading is wonky at the moment, but I saw a piece of thread that shouldn't be there and I'm wondering if the little helper in the house.... Helped.

I left off the cell phone pocket on this one. It goes on the side, no flap though. I was tired if cutting small pieces and fighting the rotary trimmer that needs a new blade. Besides, the 6yo doesn't have one! She's asked where her buckle is, and why there isn't another pocket on the outside for curious George. Give it up kid! Lol!

I will send you the email tomorrow, I crawled into bed already since I have to get up early, and haven't been sleeping much lately.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Don't do Velcro on the bottom of the bag...it is a pain. One of my purses has it and it gets so stuck of other stuff and isn't very reliable. It was there for this thing that holds all of my cards...i ended up pulling it out and leave everything loose when i use that purse.

I was thinking it would be cool to make a padded matching sleeve case type of thing. No zippers or closures...open on the top...or maybe a small flap over...

That way you wouldn't have to worry about small loose stuff sliding into the ipad compartment either.

I would probably just put the soft side of the velcro on the back wall of the bag. Just to keep it from moving forward. I guess I should ponder if I want a spot for my bt keyboard and such. I wonder if the kid will let me try out various things with it come morning?

I could do a sleeve with batting. I might have some even, & I have gobs of this fabric left. I will check in the morning.

Ok, must try to sleep!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I found some batting, so i'm going to take my tape measure with me and figure out sizes for a sleeve. The batting isn't the greatest, so i think i will have to almost triple it to get it how thick i'd want it.

Soooo much i want to do while sitting at speech therapy for 2 hours... wonder what will actually happen? :p

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Awesome post some pics! I think my first experiment if I decide I want to learn to sew will be a cellphone cozy. I didn't know what batting was until last night when i was looking up patterns :/ this should be fun!!!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Lol! Sometimes bigger stuff is easier than smaller stuff, so don't get frustrated and hey, check your local joann's to see if they have the sewing 101 class!

I'm about ready to fall asleep. Despite my vision of going to sleep early last night, insomnia kicked in and i was awake until about 1 and then 6am came wayyyyyy too early :eek:

I shall hurt myself attempting anything that requires a brain tonight, so it all has to wait until tomorrow. I did figure out that the batting i have is going to need three layers to get what I'd want thickness wise. I have a plan for the sleeve... Except i can't think thru how the heck to sew it right now! LOL!

There is a phone pouch in the book too!

Oh and, i measured during speech, then talked to my lawyer. Didn't get much done but spend money apparently.

But the other parents thought the bag looked awesome! LOL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.