iPad Data Plan Addition

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thatoneguy82, Mar 12, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is my second iPad but my first one with cellular connectivity. I was wondering when I do add the service on it (AT&T), would it be separate from my phone account? Specifically, would it be an "extra", data only, line on my account or is it a completely new account? Thanks!

I also want to add about switching SIM cards. My sister has the original iPad and I had the iPad 2 with just WiFi previously and now getting the new iPad. She doesn't do anything on it, maybe browse 2 days a week. The rest of the time the kids watch netflix on it. But when at home, it's always connected to the WiFi. What I'm asking is that would I be able switch our SIM cards between our 2 iPads without having to do anything to either of our accounts. Basically, can I just physically swap it between the two with no involved customer service and anything else?

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

If you sign up for service through the iPad Settings then yes, it will be a completely separate account (the details of which you will never need to deal with) and will have it's own wireless service number.

3. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Actually a nice, easy system (assuming it is the same as the Verizon versions) You sign-up on the ipad, enter credit card info for automated billing and done. You can change your plan or cancel from your ipad anytime.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

If you don't do the month-to-month thing you will see a separate line and phone number on your account so it's all rolled into your bill. I went this route with my ipad2 because I got a month free and since I used it every month I just left it.

However, I think I will just cancel what I have now and go the month-to-month route.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

??

I'm on AT&T and I don't see my iPad charge on my phone bill.

6. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Do you mean signing a contract? I don't think there's an option for that, but I can be mistaken.

7. donnaw, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

donnaw macrumors 65816

No, it's not a contract. And it's not the auto-renewal. It's a separate line added to your account. I did it because I knew I would be using my data every month anyway and they gave me a free month of data. This was last year. Don't know about this year.

The only differences between this and the monthly renewal is that this way it combines with your same phone account so you only have one bill. Unless you know you will need data every month anyway I would go with the separate account route. If you know that you're going to renew every month anyway this simply makes it a bit easier by not creating a separate bill.

But I can cancel at any time.

----------

If you do the auto-renewal via your iPad you won't.

I guess the best way to explain it it is prepay and post pay. For prepay, yoU handle it via your iPad and it automatically renews every month unless you cancel it. You pay in advance for the data.

For the post pay a separate line is added to your AT&T account and you pay it all together in one bill.

That's really the only difference. The convience of one bill vs the ability to easily cancel. There MAY be a few cents difference due to tax. I'm not sure about that. I seem to remember that there was a difference in the cost of extra data (the post pay being cheaper) but I'm not sure that still applies. You might check the AT&T site.