iPad Dead Pixel Issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kenshinxue, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kenshinxue macrumors newbie

I picked up an iPad 64G at Apple Store on Launch Day. After playing with it for 3 days, I noticed 2 dead pixels. So I went to Apple Store yesterday. They changed a new one for me - still has one dead pixel. I got a perfect screen one after they changed a new one for me again.

I guess a lot of iPads have screen issues. Have you guys all checked using pure color pictures? 1024x768 is pretty high resolution on an 9.7 inch screen. So the dead pixel is small, hardly noticeable if you don't examine closely...

2. FetalSage macrumors regular

I actually have one dead pixel on mine too. Have an appointment today at 1 to replace it.

I wouldn't say the dead pixel is small and hardly noticeable, especially since it's near on of the edges so at times it'll be in the top toolbar.

3. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes...
    If you notice one... you can't help just staring at it every time you use the iPad... annoying...

4. fishepa macrumors regular

Anyone know if you bought it at best buy can you return for a different one if you have a dead pixel?

5. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

Call your local Apple Store?

Since it's the only place with plenty of stock for you to swap...

6. fishepa macrumors regular

I didn't know if you could only return to Apple store you had to purchase it at Apple store.

7. DarthSimon macrumors newbie

Had one dead in the middle of my iPad.... They exchanged it no questions asked...

8. TXAPPLELOVER macrumors newbie

Mine was fine, but my hubby's

My iPad was fine, but within a few hours my hubby's had a red line go straight down the screen on the right hand side (landscape mode). I had pre-ordered it and didn't know if the apple store would help us out. We took it in on Monday and they swapped it out with no problems! Didn't even blink an eye.:D:apple::D

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

You are correct. If you're going to return a product to an Apple Store for a refund or total replacement, you have to have purchased it there.

However, Apple will service its products at Apple Stores, regardless of where you originally bought them at.

If you bought an iPad from Best Buy and it has dead pixels, the easiest way to get it fixed (now) is to return it to Best Buy for a replacement, IMO. After your Best Buy return window has passed, then your only choice is to have an Apple Store (or AppleCare) service your unit (unless you bought a BestBuy warranty)

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Is there a way to check for dead pixels in the store?

And how do you mow that all of your info is safely deleted from the iPad?

11. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

They use restore function on iPad to wipe out all the info

What I did is: took out the new ipad in the store, connected to the internet, download 5 pure color pictures onto the iPad, opened the photo app, examined closely...

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yep, I returned mine to Best Buy today and they exchanged it. The guys in the Geek Squad/Apple Consultant area looked at it and saw a speck of dust and dead pixel under the screen and swapped it out.

Just bring your box with the original contents and make sure there's no other damage to the iPad and you should be fine.

iPad has an "erase all content" feature. It works much faster than the iPhone's, clearing your data from the device in about 3 minutes or so.

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

How do you connect to the Internet? Doesn't it have to be set up first?

14. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

15. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Actually what I meant how do they "activate" the new iPad so that you can get online. When I set mine up the fist turn on showed that it had to be connected to my computer to activate it and then be able to use it.

Thanks.

16. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple Genius will connect the new iPad to their MacBook Pro, and it was activated immediately after the iTunes was opened. You do not have to enter your personal info to register.

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Best Buy was very helpful with my return. I got a new one and the screen was worse though with more dead pixels than before.

I didn't want to burn through the entire stock at Best Buy so I got my money back. I'm decided on going to the Apple store to purchase one there bit it seems like Apple really dropped the ball on this screen.

I have a feeling if more people cared to check they would see a few dead pixels or dust. To me dead pixels are so annoying because as soon as I see one I always seem to focus on it.

18. kenshinxue thread starter macrumors newbie

Did someone on MacRumors changed 4 new iPads to get a perfect screen?

Seriously, what's the flaw rate of the iPad screen? Or 1 or 2 dead pixels are just normal?

19. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

They can activate it at the apple store no problem

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Some people on MacRumors never get an apple product with a perfect screen. It's not unusual at all to see threads where they've exchanged iPhones 7 times, for example, while most others get perfect ones the first time.

It's way more economical for consumer companies like apple to exchange products that have dead pixels than it is for them to QC check each one for dead pixels before it ships, or to demand that their screen supplies literally QC each panel before it goes to Apple to be used.

21. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Is 1 or 2 dead pixels "normal"?

22. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I'm not sure what's normal but I have bad Apple luck with dead pixels. It's the first thing I look for. I had more than 3 on my ipads. Of course I've never had any on my cheap netbooks. I'd rather have them
    on my netbooks if I had a choice haha!

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Most people probably never notice or care about one or two dead pixels. Apple can afford to exchange one (or more) for a few customers.

The truth is I've never had a device that didn't get dust under the screen eventually, or didn't have one or two dead pixels. My 3GS is flawless right now, but we'll see where its at in a few months.

I exchanged my iPad though because its pretty costly and I don't want an eyesore when watching a movie or reading an iBook. Once you know the dead pixel is there, you're eye always goes to it.

24. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

I've exchanged my iPad twice (both in the Apple store) and got a clean one.
    My father exchanged his iPad 4 times until he got a perfect screen.

Each time there was one dead pixel somewhere in the middle of the screen. if it was like on the sides, i wouldn't complain too much but dead center is really annoying.

25. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

I just noticed a tiny dead pixel right at the top that wasn't noticeable to me before. It's not a big deal to me but still..... I wonder if I should exchange it for a new one at Best Buy and get them to activate it for me?