Ipad dilema

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danblakemore, Jun 22, 2011.

1. danblakemore macrumors newbie

So here goes.

Young lad at work wins an ipad. He receives it all wrapped etc and says he is going to sell it. believing this to be a 1st gen ipad i offer £250.

He agrees and sells.

I get home to find its an ipad 2.

So, do I tell him and offer to give him back in return for the money (I cant afford more than £250) Knowing he can get more from ebay. Or keep quiet ?

I daren't even turn the thing on, imagine the torment!!

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

His loss.

If you have an item and don't even check to know what it is you are selling then that's up to you. No one make him sell it, or decide not to check before he sold.

Sorry, but he offered an item for sale, you offered a price, he accepted it, deal done.

3. RayK macrumors 6502

I fully agree. If he's not gonna even check it out its his loss. Enjoy your new iPad!

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Normally I'd say you were wrong...if a store clerk gives you the wrong change you should bring it up.

But in this case you offered a price and he accepted. It's up to him to look up the retail value and decide if it's worth it. Either he did and was ok with that price or he didn't in which case that's his fault.

You're fine UNLESS you're leaving out a part of the story where you told him it was an iPad 1 and only worth that much and he should sell it quickly 'cause the second version is out already. In that case you'd be wrong. But if you only thought that and didn't say it out loud then it's not your problem.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You're both winners. The lad made 250, and you bought and iPad 2 for 250. He won the iPad, so he was ahead one iPad, but instead he opted to sell that iPad and now he's ahead 250. You're out 250, but are up one iPad.

Open it up and enjoy it. If you still feel some guilt, then "pass along" the good deal you made to someone else in the future.

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

As long as you didn't tell him it was an ipad 1, knowing it was an iPad2 I guess that's just the way it goes.

I will say when I went to BestBuy and bought my iPad2 I looked at the box and on the side it said iPad. I thought it would say iPad2. I even asked the clerk, this is the ipad2 right.

Do what you feel is best.

7. danblakemore thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't say anything to be honest, I wouldn't know an ipad 1 from 2 by just looking at the box. It wasn't until I opened it that I realized it had a camera, hence an ipad 2.

So a genuine mistake all round, I was happy to buy an ipad 1 to be fair, suppose this is a nice bonus.

So following sound advice, its syncing now.....

8. taipan61 macrumors 6502

the only difference i've noticed when i look at the boxes is that the iPad2 box is thinner than the original (guess it goes along with the whole scheme of things)
    and IMHO he offered to sell without checking the contents so it's his loss (not really a loss though if he won it without having to buy anything)

9. Syk macrumors 6502a

I didn't have an iPad Gen1 so I couldn't compare the box size. I did look and it seemed to have a spec for the camera on the front of the box

Yup you should verify what you are selling

10. rrandyy macrumors 6502

At least in the US, the contract is void. Mutual mistake of material fact.

11. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Like others have said, his fault for not finding out what he had but he still MADE 250. Of course, this brings up my rub with apple for NOT PUTTING THE FREAKING MODEL ON THE BOX!!! Who does that?? Seriously?

When I bought my iPad, I was a first time buyer and had never even seen an original iPad box. Walmart had exactly 1 iPad so there were no other boxes to compare it to. You can't tell from the stupid sideways picture which model it is and it doesn't mention it anywhere. Non of the Walmart employees could tell me if it was a model 1 or 2 so I bought it on faith and their promise I could return it if it was not the new model. Lucky for me, it was the iPad 2 64 gig that I wanted. Apple could avoid all this confusion if they just put the name of the product on the box like every other normal freaking company in the world!

12. Syk macrumors 6502a

I see you had the same problem I did LOL. I didn't have a Gen1 to go by either and I looked at the box thinking it would say iPad2. I figured if they had any Gen1 the price would have been cheaper in the system. I sill looked the model number up online before I opened the box LOL.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Such dilemma...I feel your pain.

Tell you what, I'll get it off your hand for the same price you paid for it.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You didn't cheat him, he cheated himself. The way I see it, there is no wrong choice on your part. If you want to tell him his mistake, that's a noble thing to do. But if you just keep it, I think it's just as fair for you to do that. You did pay him a decent price, whether it was "full value" or not isn't your concern.

15. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

I don't know, but some of you seem to have odd morals...

I for one couldn't just leave it like this, because it was a mistake and it would feel like stealing to me. He made a mistake. How would you feel if you made a mistake like this and were "cheated" out of a decent sum of money?

Just hope he never finds out...

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I feel this way every time I purchase a car, or anything that doesn't have a set price.

17. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm curious. We know it's an iPad 2, but which model? 16GB WiFi? If so, how much would it cost if purchased from your local Apple store?

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Stupid for not realizing which model I had. I wouldn't blame the guy I sold it to, however. The transaction was for an iPad 1, and that's the price he paid. No one here even knows whether the kid would want to take it back. It cost him nothing, so he made a cash profit.

I do wonder why he would assume it was an iPad 1, however. I'd have assumed it was an iPad 2 16GB WiFi unless told differently, and of course, I'd have also found out for myself first.

19. haagenman macrumors newbie

Um...the contract is voidable...not void. Big difference.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not home to pull my box and verify, but I seem to remember the model info is on the label on the back of the box. no its not in three inch high letters, but it is there IIRC.

To the OP, there's a difference between ethics and law; you're fine legally with keeping the ipad2 and enjoying the windfall. Whether you're comfortable with it is another question, and you need to work that out yourself. None of use can say what you should do, that's between you and your conscience. A simple test is ask how you'd feel to see an article about the situation and your choice in the local newspaper where all your friends and family reads it. Do what you feel comfortable with.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Go read what the OP wrote, he (the buyer) thought it was an ipad1 not the seller.

22. info macrumors member

info

The fact that you even asked shows that you are a conscientious person, you must have brought it upon yourself. :)

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would feel that it was 100% my own fault.

You wouldn't?

24. AceCoolie macrumors regular

You might think that but you would be wrong.
    [​IMG]

25. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The fact that you had to ask likely suggests you already knew the "right" thing to do. You came on here and waited until someone said to keep it then you rationalize and justify doing so.

I'd feel too guilty.