Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160901-displaysearch_3q10_mobiles.jpg

Research firm DisplaySearch today announced the results of its latest quarterly estimates for shipments of "mobile PCs", which include notebooks, netbooks, and tablets. The estimates for the third quarter of 2010 highlight the "iPad Effect" that has seen Apple leap to third place worldwide and first place in North America.
Capturing a 12.4% share of global mobile PC shipments in Q3'10, Apple is benefiting from the iPad Effect, which continues to shake up the mobile PC market. According to preliminary results from the DisplaySearch Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report, Apple took the #3 position worldwide, and ranks #1 in North America as a result of the continued success of the iPad. The iPad accounts for an 8% share of global shipments of all mobile PCs. 95% of iPad shipments were to developed regions, primarily North America.
While Apple grabbed 12.4% of the worldwide mobile PC market with the iPad included, it would have placed eighth with 4.8% of the market had the iPad not been considered a mobile PC.

The report notes that iPad acceptance has been weak in Japan amid customer concerns regarding a lack of content tailored to the local language and interests. Adoption is also slow in developing countries, due in part to the iPad's partial reliance on a PC for content syncing.

The report echoes similar data released in August by Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore which likewise saw Apple jumping to third place among global notebook PC manufacturers for the second quarter of 2010 when the iPad was included in Apple's sales totals.

Article Link: iPad Drives Apple to Third Place Worldwide, First in North America for Mobile PC Sales

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Before you folks rage...I own an iPad.

1)I love how this survey considers an iPad a mobile PC...but not an iPod Touch or an iPhone?...

2)And that an iPad is missing so many qualities of a laptop/netbook (camera, normal storage capacities, USB and other industry standard ports, ability to save files (other than picture, iTunes movies, and mp3s) on the unit, etc)...so the iPad really doesn't even compare to a traditional personal computer.

Surveys like this are useless. The iPad is a lovely device...and certainly not for everyone (example: people who already own an iPod Touch and/or iPhone and/or numerous traditional laptops). But to claim that Apple is in 3rd place worldwide because the survey is lumping an iPad into the mix is an injustice...the whole point of an iPad is that in its advertising and Jobs' speeches the iPad is NOT a traditional laptop/netbook.

What's next...comparing LCD monitors to printers?

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
The report notes that [iPod 1.0] acceptance has been weak in Japan amid customer concerns regarding a lack of content tailored to the local language and interests. Adoption is also slow in developing countries, due in part to the [iPod 1.0's] partial reliance on a PC for content syncing.

You can write these stories over and over with each new device that comes along. Don't worry, these things pass as the devices get updated, new software gets written in every language, and new flexibility in how you sync things grows in time.

The success of the iPod 1.0 in no way told us how the 2010 iPod touch would be viewed in the market.

The success of the iPad 1.0 in no way tells us how the 2020 iPad will be viewed in the market.

[Hint, it's going to be a trend line moving up -- rapidly]

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I still only know 1 person who owns an iPad. Rarely do I see them out in public.

Odd, guess you need to hang out in more affluent areas. :D

Seriously, see them all the time now. Was at Paradise Bakery today and saw two people with them...

As others have said, if they are going to count the iPad then then need to count all tablet and handheld devices and phones.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent

1)I love how this survey considers an iPad a mobile PC...but not an iPod Touch or an iPhone?...

2)And that an iPad is missing so many qualities of a laptop/netbook (camera, normal storage capacities, USB and other industry standard ports, ability to save files (other than picture, iTunes movies, and mp3s) on the unit, etc)...so the iPad really doesn't even compare to a traditional personal computer.

Surveys like this are useless. The iPad is a lovely device...and certainly not for everyone (example: people who already own an iPod Touch and/or iPhone and/or numerous traditional laptops). But to claim that Apple is in 3rd place worldwide because the survey is lumping an iPad into the mix is an injustice...the whole point of an iPad is that in its advertising and Jobs' speeches the iPad is NOT a traditional laptop/netbook.

I see what you're saying, but i'm not a fan of your LCD monitors to printers analogy. I think a better one is to compare monitors to tvs. Monitors are like TVs with a few less options (i.e. tuner, perhaps some connectors, etc.) but still perform the same basic tasks.

But i think it is ok to include the iPad in mobile computing. For what people usually use a mobile computer for, an iPad covers it---email, web, video, audio, light gaming. And some of what you said will likely available on the iPad 2.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Because an iPod touch and an iPhone do not compete significantly in the PC market. An iPad does.

What do any of those features have to do with whether or not it competes in the PC market? People are buying iPads instead of a (second) laptop or desktop computer to accomplish the same tasks. (And an iPad can save files in many more formats than the ones that you listed.)

It's not useless, it's just limited. It's no more useless than lumping laptops and desktops together. Or laptops and netbooks. It's about interpreting the results within a context. (A very rare skill among pundits and forum posters. :))

Sure, if you want to know what the most popular PC accessories are. It's all about context.

eldervovichka

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
Interesting. That was me in spring and summer, but now I see them almost every day. They're everywhere I look.

I agree, I am a day 1 owner. I never saw them when I was out and about in the first couple of months. Now many friends and family have one! My dad just got one and he is 62! I think they are the next wave of personal electronics. Many of my extended family say they are buying them for Christmas. My wife who hated my iPad when I first got it, is even saying she is getting the next one and not me. She takes it from now when I get home. She loves surfing the web and reading e-mails. We still need computers for photo and video editing, but I am even going to try some presentation from my iPad and see how that works! I love the iPad!

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I still only know 1 person who owns an iPad. Rarely do I see them out in public.

Me neither. I've seen maybe two or three out in the public, but then I hardly take mine out of the house either. It is great for browsing or emailing on the couch, in the TV room, out on the terrace, etc. I only take it out when I go to friends or family for more than a day.

But I do know many who have them and do as I do.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

A lot of laptops don't come with webcams.
The current low-end MacBook Air comes with 64GB of storage.
So I guess if the USB ports stop working on a computer, it stops being a computer? Completely irrelevant.
You listed multiple things that you can save, therefore voiding your point.

brou

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
But I thought that Macs weren't PCs?

I mean, they spent millions of dollars on the commercials proclaiming that.

And it turns out that Macs really are personal computers?

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Yeah, it depends on one's definition.
But we're looking at the future of computing right now.

Surveys like this are useless...
Depends on what you use them for. In light of that circumstance, it may be useless, valuable, or anywhere in between. Of more interest is the fact that marketshare in this context is a fairly meaningless statistic as well. It helps to know who is shipping how many units but that's not very useful for gauging profitability (except when you toss in profit on those machines to see who is dancing a fine line). It isn't useful to users of those products once you're looking among the big players. For most of us these statistics only provide something that can be used to cheer, or boo and hiss.

I'm sure it depends very much on your area, but where I am if I go any place where an iPad user would have reason to use their device in public (e.g. airports, airplanes, various lounges, conference rooms, business gatherings, and other waiting areas such as even inside Starbucks) they're not rare at all. The iPhones are everywhere.

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
wtf is that....

Ipad =/= personnal computer

Macbook= personnal computer

Biaised statistics......

Why are iphones and ipod touch excluded ? They should give a clear definition of Personnal Computer.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
But I thought that Macs weren't PCs?

I mean, they spent millions of dollars on the commercials proclaiming that.

And it turns out that Macs really are personal computers?

I think you've employed some misuse of the transitive property in your logic there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.