iPad (Early 2012) - the DARK CORNER!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by interfreak, Apr 3, 2012.

1. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

As the title dramatically suggests, my iPad has a darkish corner. In a nutshell, the bottom left hand corner in portrait mode seems darker than the rest of the screen, as if the LED's aren't quite 'on' all the way or perhaps something is slightly obstructing them

I'm happy to live with it (for the time being) as the 'darkness' only extends out a very small way - but I'm curious to know whether others have this as well.

Other than this 'fault', the screen is perfect.

2. sza macrumors 6502

It is common, but not every user can notice it.

3. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I notice it but the variance is not so great that it bothers me. Yellow tint is only noticeable if I compare it to my iMac side by side, but in real world use it doesn't bother me one bit.

4. number84 macrumors 6502

I have noticed the same but doesn't bother me.

5. andross77 macrumors regular

i have the same but funny enough it is the top right corner. My wife has looked at it (edit: i've made my wife look at it :)) about 4 separate times and she can't notice it. No one else has. I think i'm just fairly sensitive to the light change.

But yeah, definitely top right corner is darkest, bottom left corner is brightest and most of it is like the bottom left corner.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I have dark blotches all over. In normal usage, I only really notice it along the left edge.

[​IMG]

7. sza macrumors 6502

iPad 3'a quality control is just terrible. Apple must call back the defect products.:mad:

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

YUP!! In fact, about 5 min before I opened this thread I was looking at that corner again. It is the lower right corner and it is just a tad darker. like you my screen is otherwise perfect, warm but not yellow, uniform color (i tried upgrading to a 4g model 4 times and every one had one side yellow and the other blue), and no dead Pixels.

So, does it bother me? Sometimes. does it bother me enough to play the screen lottery again? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. AR15MBP macrumors regular

I returned my iPad because of a dark upper left corner, and yellowing down the left side. Drove me nuts on a white background aka almost every website. Returned a Verizon, and got an AT&T with no dark corners. It's not perfect, as it has some tint issues when you move it around, but it's much more uniform, and thus I am happy.

Nothing is worse than a non-uniform screen. Yellow tint, comestic issues are things you get used to. You can't get used to a non-uniform screen. Don't settle.

10. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

My 3rd iPad had a yellow and dark upper left corner. Returned it.
    Then the 4th one was perfect, except the slightly dark blotch in the same place. I kept it until the screen started to exhibit issues.

I don't think dark corners are enough to warrant a return. Many a computer screen has it, and all of mine are no exception. But if it bothers you (that much), then go request a replacement.

11. interfreak thread starter macrumors regular

interfreak

12. sza macrumors 6502

There are many. But they won't notice it until you point it to them and after that they will keep looking at it until they get paranoid.

Screen will become an issue Apple may call them back finally.

13. interfreak thread starter macrumors regular

interfreak

I dunno if it's just me, but the severity of it seems to be reducing as time goes by.

I doubt Apple would ever recall the iPad over display issues, rather they would just offer those affected a replacement or a refund.

14. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

My The New iPad has a perfect screen.

So I'm returning it.

BJ

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yes, I just noticed it because of this thread. Not a big deal for me though.

16. interfreak thread starter macrumors regular

interfreak

Well, I just tried to take a shot of my 'DARK CORNER' but, I think I've either failed miserably OR it's not as big of an issue as I think:

Whole screen, 50% brightness. the DARK CORNER is on the top LH side:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the DARK CORNER:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the opposite corner:

[​IMG]

The DARK CORNER is on the top RH side (Portrait):

[​IMG]

The DARK CORNER is on the top LH side (Landscape):

[​IMG]

I feel a bit silly now, doesn't show up so dramatically in the photos...:eek:

17. Mikekan macrumors regular

18. frisnit macrumors newbie

Thought it was just me, as a Google wasn't picking up anything similar.

Mine is in the bottom right corner and it's got a blueish tinge, which does make it annoying when viewing something pure white like a web page or Facebook (i.e. quite often), as it draws your eye. If you look at a pure white screen, it's initially noticeable then your eye just loses it a bit.

I'll hang onto it for a while to see if it gets worse/better.

19. sza macrumors 6502

It won't change until you get used to it finally.

----------

It looks very obvious to me.

20. seadragon Contributor

I see it plainly. It looks darker with a green tint in the top left corner.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Edited your post so that it now serves as thread summary.

You are welcome.

22. interfreak thread starter macrumors regular

interfreak

Yeah Google didn't throw up much for me either, but it's 'nice' in a way to know that I'm not alone lol.

I seem to be getting used to it. I have AppleCare so if it gets the better of me I'll just get another one, but I've already had 2 replacements so I don't want to continue playing the 'display lotto' if I can help it!

23. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Just because the camera can't pick it up doesn't mean it's not there. The human eye can pick up so much more.

Yes, the display lottery sucks, but so does having an iPad which exhibits a flaw you can't get over. I had an iPad with a dark corner and a yellow tint down the left side. It drove me crazy. I switched out for another one with a slight tint to it, but much more uniform. I'm glad I tried.

24. interfreak thread starter macrumors regular

interfreak

Well as the problem got worse, I asked Apple for another replacement. The replacement will be my FOURTH iPad in 2.5 weeks...Unfortunately the replacement coming is from January...*Sigh*

25. seadragon Contributor

Totally ridiculous. The screens are flawed. Period. Nobody should have to go through so many. This is definitely a quality issue.