Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nyr_default-150x216.jpg

The first subscriber numbers for Condé Nast's iPad experiment are out, and The New Yorker has 100,000 readers, according to the New York Times:
Offering the first detailed glimpse into iPad magazine sales since subscriptions became available in the spring, The New Yorker said that it now had 100,000 iPad readers, including about 20,000 people who bought subscriptions at $59.99 a year.

Additionally, more than 75,000 people have taken advantage of the magazine's offer to allow print subscribers to download the app free. Several thousand more people, on average, buy single issues for $4.99 each week.
The article's numbers are a little confusing, mostly because of the word "additionally", but here's how we see it breaking down:

- 75,000 readers who already subscribe to the New Yorker print edition.
- 20,000 readers who subscribe to the annual iPad-only edition for $59.99/year.
- 5,000 readers who buy individual issues for $4.99/week.

The New Yorker's reader count is the highest of any of Condé's iPad titles, which includes tech-savvy Wired magazine. The New Yorker has more than 1 million print subscribers.

All the Condé Nast titles are available via in-app subscription, with Apple taking 30% of sales. Apple has collected approximately $360,000 from The New Yorker's 20,000 annual subscribers.

Condé reported today that it has 242,000 digital readers (PDF) across all its titles, with 106,000 of those being new readers without print subscriptions.

Article Link: iPad Edition of The New Yorker Has 100,000 Readers

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I've considered subscribing to a publication on my iPad but the 500mb+ downloads per issue for text I can't even select ends my interest quickly. When will they learn that online publications aren't print. They have different sets of strengths and weaknesses and they currently have it backwards.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good to see the iPad subscription price is $10 less than the price listed on their site.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Couple of very sincere questions:

Is any of the content in this publication NOT available somewhere else for free online?

Is the content that much better than what you would find from various free blogs (ad supported)?

irj

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
New Yorker on the iPad is great.

This magazine, a weekly, quickly stacks up on the bedside table in its paper edition. The iPad edition is a very well done mix: the text is presented in a elegant, highly readable format, and multimedia is brought in to the mix thoughtfully and not just for giggles. Poets read their own poems. The price is too high for a standalone subscription but print subscribers getting it for free is appropriate pricing. They should eventually do a low-cost electronic-only subscription. For now, this seems like the best magazine on iPad.

For NY Times, the most reasonable thing to do is to get a Sunday-only paper subscription. With that, all digital content is free. A good balance.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I've considered subscribing to a publication on my iPad but the 500mb+ downloads per issue for text I can't even select ends my interest quickly. When will they learn that online publications aren't print. They have different sets of strengths and weaknesses and they currently have it backwards.

Debating downloading it onto my iPad for my long trip to Asia in a few days. Is one issue really that big of a file?

Guess I'll see how much space I have left after loading my iPad w/ movies.

Full of Fail

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
This magazine, a weekly, quickly stacks up on the bedside table in its paper edition. The iPad edition is a very well done mix: the text is presented in a elegant, highly readable format, and multimedia is brought in to the mix thoughtfully and not just for giggles. Poets read their own poems. The price is too high for a standalone subscription but print subscribers getting it for free is appropriate pricing. They should eventually do a low-cost electronic-only subscription. For now, this seems like the best magazine on iPad.

For NY Times, the most reasonable thing to do is to get a Sunday-only paper subscription. With that, all digital content is free. A good balance.

I completely agree. It is by far one of the best implementations yet complimented with the most equitable pricing structure

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Its nice to see digital magazines and papers progressing. I think we will see a lot more of these kind of news in the future.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Not meaning to be sarcastic - I was wondering why you called the magazine garbage :confused:

For what it's is worth, I'm not a subscriber.

Just asking.

Because he's a kid, and it's not a video game?:rolleyes:

Because it uses big words

No, not a kid. I read a lot of stuff and don't play video games other than the occasional Plants v. Zombie on my iPad. The magazine is so pretentious and the writing is not about the subject matter. The writing is about the elitist authors who are so full of themselves.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
The magazine is so pretentious and the writing is not about the subject matter. The writing is about the elitist authors who are so full of themselves.
Exactly! It's a magazine for elitist readers who are so full of themselves.

It's a wonder they only have 100,000 iPad subscribers because that description fits many iPad owners too.

BOOM.

In all seriousness, the New Yorker demographic greatly overlaps with the iPad user demographic.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
I'll be ecstatic with 5% of that

We just launched our iPad movie magazine on Friday [Boxoffice Weekly] - that was an adventure in frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.