iPad first time owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

This is my first iPad. The reason I skipped over all previous 2 iterations is due to lack of retina on iPad 2 and wait and see on iPad 1.

What is your reason for getting the iPad for the first time with iPad

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You never bought an iPad cause the display wasn't retina ?

3. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

I skipped over 1 because of wait and see approach. skipped over 2 because of lack of retina display

4. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

It's a thing of beauty, power, and magnificence. Like the iPod and iPhone before it, the iPad is revolutionary (and now rez-olutionary!).

I can't think of any reason you would be disappointed, except maybe weight. Some people just hate the weight factor.

I'm still limping along on an iPad 1 with only 16 GB, so I've gone all out and ordered an iPad 3 with 64 GB. Hopefully my programs will run faster and look better.

5. andross77 macrumors regular

I never wanted an ipad as I believed it to be a useless gadget when one has a smartphone and a laptop. But over the past year I've transitioned from android to ios (mainly because of waiting on updates because i chose the wrong phone and the lack of quality in apps) and when the new ipad rumors were getting strong i had already been reading on my iphone for about 1-1.5 hours a day.

I heard "retina screen" and thought my eyes would thanks me....hence, first ipad purchase. no other reason. that's why i also got the lowest end 16gb wifi black model. I can load up my reading app with 7gb of books (about 1500, some with lots of pictures :) and be done with it.

6. driftwoodtea, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

driftwoodtea macrumors member

I import tea and run my business from a laptop. As a bit of a wanderer I've never really been a fan of desktop computers so have always used laptops and external monitors when required. (Can't wait for Mountain Lion and Airplay mirroring - hello 42" monitor!)

Last year I decided I could use the extra power and screen real estate of a 17"MBP. I doubt I will ever go back to a 15" laptop for my main computer; the 17" MBP with 1920x1200 resolution is amazing however, it is big and heavy. Not by a huge amount but it is noticeable - this is easily made up for by its sheer power.

When I use my laptop travelling, especially on trains in the UK, it takes up most of table which is annoying for those sitting opposite. I also find myself staying more in one place with my laptop as it's awkward carrying about the 17" where as before I probably worked from the garden more.

Anyway, I decided to go for the new iPad simply to act as a bridge between my laptop and iPhone 4s. It's completely unnecessary. I can function perfectly well with what I've got however do think I'll enjoy the flexibility.

Currently an iPad couldn't replace my laptop - I need Adobe's CS Suite and a laptop to alter my website - however do think it'll speed up a lot of my day to day stuff which involves emails and social media. Again, all of that is possible from my iPhone but I'm sure it'll be faster and more efficient from a shiny new iPad!

Plus it is just pretty awesome!

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I will never understand continuously waiting for a product to get better over several years before purchasing. Especially an Apple product.

8. marksweb macrumors member

This is the first time I've taken the plunge as well. I've only recently decided I've got a need for it as I don't like to sit at a desk when I get home after doing so all day at work (plus the fact my mac is dying!).

And being on this 'cycle' puts me similar to my iPhone which has been 3Gs, 4s and this is the 's' kind of iPad imo. Can't wait :D

9. WigWag Workshop macrumors 6502

WigWag Workshop

I have always wanted one, but did not have the funds, as I purchased an 27" iMac, iPhone 4, and a Apple TV. This iPad will be replacing my last Windows laptop.

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I can. The first generation iPhone was rubbish for example.

11. tanboom macrumors member

Exactly...;) Actually, the weight is manageable. But if you are daily commuter especially during rush hour when you need to fight for even finding space for standing, you really can feel the weight. You cant hold it for long with one hand:(

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I skipped the first one for 2 reasons:

1) I thought it would be a terrific Skype device and it had no cameras.
    2) I wanted to make sure the technology would see mass adoption before spending a bunch of money.

13. Lanarae macrumors member

First iPad for me. I have a OnetoOne appt. next week to get it all setup.

14. rmwebs macrumors 68040

By todays standards, yes. At the time we didn't have app-stores and Apple was adamant that they wouldn't do an app store (hence the slow hardware).

15. badpinoy macrumors regular

I'll be a first time iPad owner. I am trying to convince myself that I really need an iPad, but I am unsuccessful. The iPad come down to convince. I want the iPad for mainly reading books or looking up references from the binders in my closet.

but none of really need an iPhone, MBP, nor iPad.

16. rmwebs macrumors 68040

By todays standards, yes. At the time we didn't have app-stores and Apple was adamant that they wouldn't do an app store (hence the slow hardware).

17. TheRedOx macrumors member

TheRedOx

I've wanted one, just couldn't justify it. It's coming to work every day with me just to watch a few video podcasts on my lunch break, same reason I've been lugging my 3 year old MacBook everyday for. It should replace that MacBook entirely - I don't do much except for keep some spreadsheets and surf with it. I'm also very excited for the educational possibilities for my almost 3 year old daughter, I know she'll find it easier to navigate her apps than on my iPhone.

18. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Oh please. It was worlds beyond anything out at the time. I owned one, and it literally changed the way I went about my daily business.

19. xyphr3 macrumors member

First one here. Had an itouch gen 2, then iphone 4, now that I am finally a doctor I am buying an iPad for work use.

20. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would have bought the iPad 2 except after having the iPhone 4 for 6 months, seeing the pixels on the iPad 2 drove me crazy! Because I plan to do a lot of reading, pix-elated words would be very distracting for me. I said I would wait until the iPad had a higher rez screen before purchasing, and now it is here.

21. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I skipped the first one as I bought a 13" MBP to replace my old Powerbook. I really didn't see the purpose of the iPad at the time. Seemed to limited in what it could do. Then we bought my dad one for Xmas and I liked it. Planned on getting an iPad 2 for myself after seeing some of it's benefits for travel.

Was going to get one this past Xmas but with the new one coming out so soon I decided to wait for this release. I'm glad I did. Feel like I'm getting the best package as my first one.

22. Bugdozer macrumors member

First time iPad buyer... Looking to do a lot of photography/movie editing with it.

Son is getting his first also and plans to use it daily in the Disney parks doing his updates for sites he works for :)

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

First time owner here.

Passed on the 1st gen since you never buy first gen tech products. Despite the ooh/ahh factor of it, wasn't too terribly impressed with the first gen one.

Wasn't able to get the iPad 2 due to lack of preordering and the supply issues that occurred when Japan got hit with the earthquake. Was going to get a 64B 3G model but stock was really limited in my area so there was only the occasional 16GB/32GB VZ models floating around here. Got tired of hitting up every BB/Apple Store/MicroCenter/Radio Shack/Target/Walmart, etc, every weekend in my area trying to find one so I wound up getting a Canon DSLR instead.

Now with the fancy schmancy Retina Display and other updates (and raging almost 4 hours trying to preorder on Apples website) I'm ever so patiently waiting for my 64GB 4G model to show up.

This iPad will primarily be a toy, for the most part, as well as my travel computer. I have no real need for one, however I really really really want one.

24. Musicore macrumors newbie

First time buyer here. I think one of the main reasons I've held off for so long is that I'd like to consider myself a "creator". I'm a programmer, graphic designer, sound engineer, web designer and bassist all rolled into one. My typical setup is two monitors with studio monitors for high fidelity sound. I never even owned a personal laptop because of screen real estate and processing power. There's that, coupled with the fact I had an iPhone 3g for about 4 years, and it was slooooooooow. I wasn't really pleased with the experience, and figured the iPad experience would be similar.

Fast forward a bit and I upgraded to the iPhone 4S while waiting for WP7 to finally drop with some impressive phones (still waiting). The 4S is incredible, and I don't say that lightly. I really think it's a magnificently crafted device. Jonathan Ive is a modern genius. Transferring this experience to a larger screen for more utility could really make for a great device.

I also picked up a Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 mixer, for those that don't know it's basically a recording and live mixing device for bands. One of the upsides of that is being able to set up the Studiolive, then control it remotely with the iPad. There is no other on tablet on the market that I can do that with, and it certainly has influenced my decision.

Even now my purchasing decision was very wishy-washy. I had the preorder window open ready for purchase with delivery date of the 16th ready to go and closed the window. Went away for the weekend, came back Sunday and the delivery is now 2-3 weeks :( Oh well, I'll go in Friday and try my luck. Otherwise I'll just wait it out.

By the way, I'm thinking of getting the incipio feather case for the back and the smart cover for the front. It's not the cheapest option, but damn if it isn't the most streamlined one I've seen. I'm not interested in having buckle's or straps or knobs on the case, I just want a minimalist covering for protection.

I know we're all excited for this thing, but this'll be my first time tablet. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

My Main Planned Uses:
    Remote Control for Studiolive
    Chord Chart Reader during Rehersals
    Web surfing device while watching on the big screen
    Travel device for media consumption
    Bathroom Reader
    Extra Monitor Using Air Display
    DAW controller for Reaper
    Free time gaming at work

I'm sure it'll find it's way into more uses, but that's what I've got planned. Thanks for reading my rant :D

25. iCarabma macrumors 6502

The first looked cool, but I didn't need it.

The second one was so effing sexy, and while I still didn't need it but I did want it. A year of apps that were designed for made it so compelling.

The third one looks amazing but it really doesn't matter. After sitting the first 2 out I would have preordered site unseen if I could have. I still don't need it, but it will be mine.