iPad for Christmas...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gangst, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Just a few quick queries. I have been asked by my gf what i want for Christmas and I had no idea, so I have just bit the bullet and said iPad.

I was going to wait until next year to get an iPad i.e. the mark II one, but I thought about it and what new features will a new iPad have other than FaceTime and a bit more RAM?

If you take the attitude of waiting for the next model you can end up never buying anything.

Are there 'amazing' upgrades expected or shall i jsut say I'd like an iPad. To be honest i would be a bit annoyed if Apple then release done in Jan or Feb, but I guess that's life.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Considering its a gift, and it sounds like you have an awesome lady who will buy you awesome tech, then accept it and love it. Why care what Gen2 has when most people can't even afford an iPad....dude, use it and love it, and get your girl something nice in return!

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I am in the same situation, but I am probably going to just buy the second generation iPad. Sure, I'd love to have one now, but I really don't want to miss out on any upgrades. I feel 256MB RAM might be a bit weak for the iPad ... and it's future.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'd wait till v2. It's just too close to the expected launch and we know Apple's miserable history of support for anything more than 3 years old (See original iPhone and iPhone 3G).

I would expect the next iPad to have:

- at least as much RAM as the iP4
    - possible faster proc to handle more detailed graphics (think gaming)
    - better screen
    - probably camera(s)
    - probably same storage size price points

It will seem like a "minor" update but I'd guess when iOS 6 rolls around many features won't be supported in the original iPad.

Also expect the resale value to drop as soon as the new iPad is announced and again when released.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you want one now, then get it from TJ maxx or Marshall. They are selling iPad for 399 dollars for 16GB wi-fi model. If you don't want basic model, then wait for iPad 2. However, the biggest difference between iPad 1 and iPad 2 will be camera. Honestly, I don't care about camera. Not yet at least.

6. Pinger macrumors regular

2nd Generation iPad should be out around my birthday next year, does she have a sister??? :)
    Honestly it will be your favorite present and generous, enjoy, I know you will..

7. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the replies.

So when is the iPad 2.0 expected? I know Apple usually have that January San Francisco event, is it likely to be then or nearer Easter?

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

For those of you who always ask when is iPad 2 coming out... this should be like ez now...

Apple is not going to release their products at the same time. Ever....

iPad for Spring/early summer

iPhone for Summer/late Summer

iPod/iPod touch for fall

That's how IT IS OKAY? No iPad this year and there will be no iPad announcement until march at EARLIEST!

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple will never announce iPad in January and release it on April again like they did with first iPad. Then almost no one will buy iPad for 3 months. Apple has been consistent on iPhone release for either late june/Early July.

iPad 2 will be very likely be released Mid-April. Expect announcement on late March or early April with iOS 5.0 sneak peak.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But everyone knows a new iPad/iPhone is coming. It doesn't hurt sales. Apple usually lowers availability as well. Apple announces when it suits them. I think it depends on what competition CES brings. If Apple needs to beat it back they'll announce soon after.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No they don't. People speculate when a new model is coming. For the most part Apple keeps their releases to a regular schedule and you still have people asking everyday if an iPad is coming before Christmas, if it's coming in January, etc. And that's geeks, regular people usually have no clue. So yeah, announcing the new iPad 3 months or whatever before release would be very stupid of Apple and it's something they haven't done yet with any of the iPhones, except for the first one.

And it doesn't matter how strong the competition is with CES, if they announce a new iPad 3 months before release for those 3 months they'll be getting hardly no sales.