Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
So I’ve been doing a lot of back and forth with this and would like some input from my fellow MR members.

I currently have the 2020 12.9 iPad and I love it for when I’m sitting at my desk and doing work but when I go to sit on the couch in my living room it’s just too cumbersome and now I’m thinking I would like something a little bit smaller for when I’m relaxing.

I’ve been going back and forth on either the 11” iPad Pro or the new Mini. I’ll mainly be using it for surfing the web, YouTube, and some small app games while I’m in my living room.

Which do you think would be the better fit? Is the 11” the better option or would the Mini fit my needs for what I want it to do?

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Id say the mini,you already have the big pro no need to downsize 2 inches for your use. Mini will feel much more comfortable in your hands or in your lap I would think.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
So I’ve been doing a lot of back and forth with this and would like some input from my fellow MR members.

I currently have the 2020 12.9 iPad and I love it for when I’m sitting at my desk and doing work but when I go to sit on the couch in my living room it’s just too cumbersome and now I’m thinking I would like something a little bit smaller for when I’m relaxing.

I’ve been going back and forth on either the 11” iPad Pro or the new Mini. I’ll mainly be using it for surfing the web, YouTube, and some small app games while I’m in my living room.

Which do you think would be the better fit? Is the 11” the better option or would the Mini fit my needs for what I want it to do?
Gaming holding it in 2 hands shows strong Mini 6 support. I think this comes down to how one likes handling the 11" being with two hands with a larger display compared to the lighter Mini with one hand casually that I use a lot. A trip to store would pretty much give a good decision.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

I have the 2021 12.9" and find it great for couch use. Depending on what I'm doing, I find attaching it to the magic keyboard is a good way to just prop it in my lap even if I'm not using the keyboard itself...

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I have the 2021 12.9" and find it great for couch use. Depending on what I'm doing, I find attaching it to the magic keyboard is a good way to just prop it in my lap even if I'm not using the keyboard itself...
Speck also makes a balance folio case which turns into an adjustable stand with 8 positions only negative i lacks a keyboard.i got it for my iPad 9 and I'm loving it so far. I am gonna also get a little adjustable stand off amazon tht I can throw my iPad with case into so I can us it in portrait mode easier

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
My gut is leaning towards the mini but I fear I’m going to miss the 120hz and Face ID from the pro. I do agree downgrading just two inches isn’t going to make a huge difference for my use case. I suppose I could always return it if I find I’m not loving the device.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I have a recent thread where I discuss something similar, and how happy I’ve been going from a 12.9 to an 11. Like yourself I considered the mini, but in my case I chose the 11 as the screen size was further from my iPhone, which I found to be a plus. Sometimes the smaller screen of the mini would be preferable, but overall the 11 is an ideal size for my needs ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mikemj23 and Brisby

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My gut is leaning towards the mini but I fear I’m going to miss the 120hz and Face ID from the pro. I do agree downgrading just two inches isn’t going to make a huge difference for my use case. I suppose I could always return it if I find I’m not loving the device.

For consumption, I don't miss the 120Hz and I'm getting used to the Touch ID - I scanned my left thumb for holding it in landscape mode.

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
For consumption, I don't miss the 120Hz and I'm getting used to the Touch ID - I scanned my left thumb for holding it in landscape mode.
I pulled the trigger and purchased the Mini! It should be arriving tomorrow, I’m excited to try this little iPad out. I think it’ll be a great compliment to my Pro.

Thank you all for your replies!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I was going to recommend the Mini for the same reasons that others have mentioned but if Face ID and ProMotion are important to you (at least important enough to mention it) then I don't recommend you getting the Mini. You will not be pleased with it.

Reactions: mizzourah

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I was going to recommend the Mini for the same reasons that others have mentioned but if Face ID and ProMotion are important to you (at least important enough to mention it) then I don't recommend you getting the Mini. You will not be pleased with it.
I’m going to give the mini a shot. If i find that I miss the 120 to much I’ll return the device within the 14 day window. I will definitely post back my thoughts on it once it arrives and I play with it for a few days.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wholly personal preference.

Got a mini, Air 4 and 12.9. The Air 4’s is my favorite for couch/bed. I can’t use an iPhone 12 single-handed much less the iPad mini. Since I’m using two hands or propping the iPad up with pillow, etc. anyway, I’d rather have a bigger display.

Reactions: max2

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Wholly personal preference.

Got a mini, Air 4 and 12.9. The Air 4’s is my favorite for couch/bed. I can’t use an iPhone 12 single-handed much less the iPad mini. Since I’m using two hands or propping the iPad up with pillow, etc. anyway, I’d rather have a bigger display.
What pushed me to get the mini (aside from the folks here that helped with that decision) is I tend to use my phone more when I’m in my living room but, although totally useful and I love it, I wanted something just a little bit bigger for media consumption and light reading and some texting.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
What pushed me to get the mini (aside from the folks here that helped with that decision) is I tend to use my phone more when I’m in my living room but, although totally useful and I love it, I wanted something just a little bit bigger for media consumption and light reading and some texting.

Definitely worth giving it a try. I also have the 12 Pro Max and find it too small for media consumption and extended reading. I'm using the Kindle app on the Mini 6 a lot.

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Definitely worth giving it a try. I also have the 12 Pro Max and find it too small for media consumption and extended reading. I'm using the Kindle app on the Mini 6 a lot.
That’s what I’m really looking forward too. I tried reading on the phone (too small) and then the pro…but that was like using an atlas. I really think this device might be the sweet spot for reading.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Sounds like the mini 6 would be a good fit then.

As for me, I originally thought I want something just a bit smaller than 9.7 but when I finally bought a mini 4 a few years ago, I found it a bit too small for comfort. This time around, I’ve got a specific use-case for the mini 6. It fits in my jacket pocket so I can carry it around the office all the time.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I love using my 11” pro on the couch, using it now as I type this lol. Can’t go back from 120 hz. My kids have air 3’s and it’s crazy to see that difference now. Can’t wait for my 13 pro max to show up as well to complete the transition. Got my xbox series x running at 120hz, my iPad Pro and then the iPhone. No going back for me! Lol

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
That’s what I’m really looking forward too. I tried reading on the phone (too small) and then the pro…but that was like using an atlas. I really think this device might be the sweet spot for reading.
I use my Mini 6 in landscape mode almost all the time. I trained in for my right index finger for portrait and my left index finger for landscape since I tend to hold it with my left hand in landscape, thumb supporting the bottom and index finger on the left side. I have long fingers so my left index fingertip is right beside the fingerprint sensor.

It probably won’t take you long to either fall in love with it or decide it’s just not right for you.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Unless you plan on selling or trading in the 12.9, go with an 11 Pro.
It is a great midpoint and works well for me relaxing and browsing/reading/watching.

I would wait till they “fix” the new mini before getting one.
MHO.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I use my Mini 6 in landscape mode almost all the time. I trained in for my right index finger for portrait and my left index finger for landscape since I tend to hold it with my left hand in landscape, thumb supporting the bottom and index finger on the left side. I have long fingers so my left index fingertip is right beside the fingerprint sensor.

It probably won’t take you long to either fall in love with it or decide it’s just not right for you.
I'll never understand Mini landscape users ha. Terrible view for anything other than watching videos as the info on the screen is so condensed it honestly might be worse than a phone.

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
So I’ve had the mini for 12 hours now and I‘m really loving it so far. It’s exactly the size I wanted, something just a little bigger than my iPhone and not as cumbersome as a bigger iPad. I feel like this is the sweet spot for me. I have my phone for going out, my iPad Pro for work and the mini for relaxing. My eco system is complete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.