Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I'll never understand Mini landscape users ha. Terrible view for anything other than watching videos as the info on the screen is so condensed it honestly might be worse than a phone.
Condensed? The text is nice and readable. A game I play and an app I use a lot are more usable in landscape mode. OneNote works great in landscape mode. It’s weird because I have portrait monitors on my desktop computer so you’d think I’d prefer landscape on my iPads but I just don’t.

Definitely not worse than my phone (Galaxy Note 9).

Reactions: Brisby and sparksd

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
So I’ve had the mini for 12 hours now and I‘m really loving it so far. It’s exactly the size I wanted, something just a little bigger than my iPhone and not as cumbersome as a bigger iPad. I feel like this is the sweet spot for me. I have my phone for going out, my iPad Pro for work and the mini for relaxing. My eco system is complete
I figured you’d know pretty quickly whether it is just what you are looking for or it just isn’t quite right.

I discovered that a Bluetooth keyboard I had for an 8” Windows tablet several years ago actually works with the Mini 6 even though it has settings only for Android and Windows. It has a trackpad and that even works. Now I wouldn’t want to do a ton of work using that keyboard, but I can type reasonably well on it.

I also was happy to see that a cover/case that I made for my original Kindle keyboard with reading light fits my Mini 6 in either the Apple folio or the Torro leather folio. Sometimes being a hoarder (um, collector) can be handy.

chrisclover

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
I wouldn’t never use the iPad for work, which involves editing and annotating the files all the time,because the Office suite on iPad does not work as well as that on windows. Microsoft deliberately cut some functions like customizing the hot keys on the iPad version.

chrisclover

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
Condensed? The text is nice and readable. A game I play and an app I use a lot are more usable in landscape mode. OneNote works great in landscape mode. It’s weird because I have portrait monitors on my desktop computer so you’d think I’d prefer landscape on my iPads but I just don’t.

Definitely not worse than my phone (Galaxy Note 9).

The text is nice and readable for you? Then you must have a great vision.

I personally couldn’t stand the font size in the safari,which is not adjustable.I have to use other browsers instead.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I personally couldn’t stand the font size in the safari,which is not adjustable.I have to use other browsers instead.

If it's a problem for me on any particular site (rarely is), I just hit AA in the address bar to increase the font. It's not a universal cross-site increase but I wouldn't be using that anyways.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I wouldn’t never use the iPad for work, which involves editing and annotating the files all the time,because the Office suite on iPad does not work as well as that on windows. Microsoft deliberately cut some functions like customizing the hot keys on the iPad version.
The mobile versions of MS Office are indeed dumbed down... to the point of being comparable to Apple's Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Google's Docs, Sheets, and Slides. But by using the web version of MS Office, you get access to significantly more functionality. Not quite to the level of the desktop versions, but enough to be able to work on moderately complex documents.

As for it being "deliberate", it is a limitation in what Apple allows for iOS/iPadOS apps. Apps cannot be released to the App Store if they require a physical keyboard. Some hot key combinations are not possible with the onscreen keyboard.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

Yes, the text is nice and readable. No, I don’t have great vision. Old eyes and astigmatism, but my glasses correct it pretty well. I’ve set my font to the second biggest size, I think. I used Duck Duck Go as my primary browser.

Hey, it doesn’t work for you. I love mine. We all have different abilities, needs, and wants, so what may be someone’s best thing since sliced bread is someone else’s worst what’s-it they’ve ever had.

Reactions: sparksd

SpartaMAC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
NJ
I use my 12.9 with magic keyboard for my my daily Technical workflow on my desk and carry with me wherever I go. In the evening I use my 11 iPad Pro while in bed and on the couch. I find the mini too small since I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I use my 12.9 with magic keyboard for my my daily Technical workflow on my desk and carry with me wherever I go. In the evening I use my 11 iPad Pro while in bed and on the couch. I find the mini too small since I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Did you mean large not small? A 8.3" mini 6 vs 6.7" iPhone 13 Pro Max. Its 80% bigger.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 9.35.51 AM.png

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think if you already have 12.9 then it would be better to get the mini 6 as the 11 is quite similar in size to the 12.9. For me personally owning the 12.9 and 11 inch iPad Pro’s would be Redundant. However having said that I own the mini 6 and the 11 inch pro and both are excellent devices. You really can’t go wrong with either one.

Reactions: SpartaMAC

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I think if you already have 12.9 then it would be better to get the mini 6 as the 11 is quite similar in size to the 12.9. For me personally owning the 12.9 and 11 inch iPad Pro’s would be Redundant. However having said that I own the mini 6 and the 11 inch pro and both are excellent devices. You really can’t go wrong with either one.
They’re really not that similar in size lol. I’ve held both many times, the 12.9 is massive in comparison

Reactions: Matcha and LibbyLA

SpartaMAC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
NJ
Please keep in mind some of us older folks (me) can you the extra real estate to see more LOL

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I have a 2021 and a base 9th gen iPad. I use the 9th gen as my couch, bed, and casual iPad. I went to take a look at the mini and wasn’t drawn to it. The key piece is that the iPad 9th gen can transform into a decent work iPad when necessary (Smart Keyboard, multitasking) and has a larger screen. iPad mini is more niche IMO

Brisby

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I’m day two into owning the mini and I’m incredibly pleased with it. It’s just so convenient to pick up and head to the couch and I don't dread using it like I do my 12.9 when sitting in my living room. I’m still getting used to the volume button layout and getting acclimated back to Touch ID but overall the experience is just wonderful.

I never liked the original mini’s design, I’m a sucker for the pro look so this iPad is like using a shrunk down pro which I love.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I’m day two into owning the mini and I’m incredibly pleased with it. It’s just so convenient to pick up and head to the couch and I don't dread using it like I do my 12.9 when sitting in my living room. I’m still getting used to the volume button layout and getting acclimated back to Touch ID but overall the experience is just wonderful.

I never liked the original mini’s design, I’m a sucker for the pro look so this iPad is like using a shrunk down pro which I love.
your comments are interesting.

Im on the fence for getting a mini 6 for the exact same use case as you.... iPhone pro max is too small (yes, I know!) for decent desktop format web browsing and my iPad Pro 12.9 is too big to comfortably hold.

My only concern is it seems rather opulent to buy an iPad purely for sitting on the sofa with... but what the hell!

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I'm glad the OP is happy with his purchase. I also have the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2020 model) with Magic Keyboard, which I use a lot. For me, the solution to a similar question was picking up a brand-new 2021 base 10.2-inch iPad with A13 chip. Purchase price: $299 via Amazon. Highly recommended.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
your comments are interesting.

Im on the fence for getting a mini 6 for the exact same use case as you.... iPhone pro max is too small (yes, I know!) for decent desktop format web browsing and my iPad Pro 12.9 is too big to comfortably hold.

My only concern is it seems rather opulent to buy an iPad purely for sitting on the sofa with... but what the hell!
If you can afford it and it will bring you pleasant experiences, go for it, especially if you have a return period. There are lots of far more expensive things you can spend money on. If you use the Mini 6 every day and you enjoy using it, why not?

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If you can afford it and it will bring you pleasant experiences, go for it, especially if you have a return period. There are lots of far more expensive things you can spend money on. If you use the Mini 6 every day and you enjoy using it, why not?
The base model of the mini 6 can be gotten for as low as $449 (EDU) sales can come close to that. Shouldn't be enough of a dent in your wallet if you also want what's unleashed on Oct 18. The mini complements my MBP usage.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.