iPad gets no AT&T LTE signal but iPhone 5 does. Help!

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bonobobakunin, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Bonobobakunin macrumors newbie

My iPad has been showing "no service" or "searching..." in places where I used to get a passable LTE signal from AT&T. But my iPhone 5 is able to find a signal in the same places. I don't understand why. Could it be a hardware or software issue? I know AT&T is bad and that it is particularly bad in Chicago, but I stay with them for personal reasons. So please don't tell me to solve the problem by switching to Verizon. Thanks in advance.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Is the sim provisioned correctly? Call AT&T and ask them.

3. Bonobobakunin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. It's beyond my level of knowledge to know what "provisioned" means in regard to a sim, but I will call ATT and ask the question.

4. koa macrumors 6502

Did you try turning off "Cellular" and "Enable LTE" in general settings and then turning them back on to see if they then get reception?

5. TPadden macrumors 6502a

It isn't just ATT; I'm pretty tired of seeing 2-3 bars LTE on my Verizon phone and Samsung Tab with NoService on my iPad. :mad:

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try putting in a new SIM, it seems that could solve it.

7. Bonobobakunin thread starter macrumors newbie

Update from thread starter

Apple genius said there is no hardware issue. Restored iPad and changed SIM. No change in signal strength or "Searching..." and "No Signal" messages. Sometimes toggling the cellular data switch makes a difference but not enough to cure the problem. I cancelled the data plan; $30/month for nothing at this point. If I need to connect outside of Wifi I will get tethering for my iPhone (5) which holds whatever signal there is better.