iPad glass separating

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSamurai, Apr 16, 2011.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I thought everyone should take note of this issue as all iPads are glued together now. QC is definitely going down hill these days -- first it was the screen tint...

This iPad is going back to Apple next week, not because of this issue but rather light bleed.

And prior to that discovery this iPad came with a 5cm machining mark at the back.

Attached Files:

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      File size:
      305.8 KB
      Views:
  2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Mine has the same issue in the same location as yours. Mine hasn't gotten any worse but they are ordering me a replacement because of light bleed and that issue.

3. Maaz macrumors 6502a

4. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

It seems that most iPads have some separation somewhere. Your is the worst i'v seen though. I have a little bit in the same spot but its very hard to see so I'm keeping it

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Just because you have a bad one doesn't mean quality control went down. People seem to not understand to get affordable products they will have to be mass produced (unless you want to pay a few grand for your iPad to have it personally built.)

Not to mention if you've ever worked in electronics retail like I did back as a teenager you would know that tons of stuff from every brand comes back defective. Its the nature of mass production.

6. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

fair enough, but 3 defects found in one unit? Of all apple products I own in the past decade, everything came spotless except the last two piece of apple hardware are defective: 3 tries to get a tint-free iMac screen and now the iPad. Of course it's mass produced and there will be defective units in the mix -- and I do appreciate apple's fairness to offer a replacement, however I think the percentage of occurrence or the level of severity is a bit high.

I just thought that this iPad along with other defected ones going back to apple are probably going to be stripped down for parts or resold as refurbs if the problems are not too intense -- but instead of doing that do they not want to raise the QC proportional to the number of returned units to decrease the percentage of defective products overall?

Anyway back to the separated glass. The very low budget fix for not-so-severe openings can be fixed with sellotape to prevent moisture or spills entering. but that makes the iPad ugly :/

7. master-ceo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Mine isn't throwed like the OP's, but I notice the glass sits a little higher/raised on the right side of the home button. The left side is close to flush with the aluminum frame like its supposed. I can feel the diference when i run my finger across the edge.

Year Warranty so no real worries, but I did notice it a few days ago. Seems to be holding up for now tho. #YellowSuperGlueFail

That looks horrible!!!

8. 126351 Guest

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you're not happy with it, you can definitely get a replacement. That looks pretty bad though.

10. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Yep. Looks like chit actually. Hope you get a replacement w/o too much of a hassle(s).

11. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

this is depressing...

12. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

After many years as a loyal Apple customer, who buys a lot of laptops, pads & phones, I must say I've experienced declining quality in the last five products I've purchased.

Its terribly unsettling. With all the cash Apple has on hand, you'd think they would be sure they delivered the quality they claim.

I have no problem paying three thousand dollars for a fully loaded MBP, its just very disappointing when I have to return three of them back to back because the genius confirms I'm right, they're defective.

Two months of my time, wasted as I place an order wait, open it and its heavily scratched or dented like a used computer. Not only that, what do you think my friends think about Macs when its so bad they see it at a glance. Then witness how long it takes Apple to credit my account so I can start all over.

After years of buying new Apple computers and never having a single return, now its the exact opposite. Well at least its no problem for Apple, they seem unfazed.

Funny how it goes, each year I buy a new top of the line BMW, or MBZ and not one of those has had to be returned.

13. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

My iPad 1 is doing this along the entire side. I'm constantly popping the screen back into place! And I'm not to shocked that there are defective models. EVERYONE is buying it at the same time. I'm sure later adopters of the iPad 2 will have better luck.

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

And you have never had to do any warranty work on the top of the line BMW or MBZ? Comparing a car to a computer is silly.

15. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

But if they were together.... That would be one delicious car :D

16. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I suspect a lot of this is due simply to Apple rushing to get supplies to market.
    In the initial rush for a new and high demand product I think there`s more of a "ship it and deal with the returns" attitude.

I think most or all of these first batch issues will be sorted out pretty quickly.
    Makes me happy I bought a heavily discounted iPad 1 just after the 2`s release.
    I may well do the same when the third gen comes out, no more early-adopting for me, I made the same mistake with SSD`s and ended up with a total lemon (Thanks Kingston :mad:).

Give it a few weeks, the issues will settle down.

17. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I just want to add that eberybodys not rich.

After spendeng nearly $50 dollars on screen protectors,

A crappy made Zagg $30
    A decent Best Skins Ever $20
    Leather Smart Cover $70

If you end up having to return because of Screen Failure, Light Bleed, etc. It really hurts the pockets.

I understand people got investments and want to protect them, but some of the comments defending Apples current QC practices are upsetting.

IMO their QC started going down hill in 2007.

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Not trying to defend it, just saying that it is what it is...
    I don`t see that it really hurts the pockets other than the hassle of having to exchange it, if it`s a cut and dried manufacturing defect then Apple will exchange it at no cost to you.
    Hell, if you make a big enough fuss they will often ship an exchange unit right out to you.

At least, unlike Compaq, they have pretty decent track record for sorting out these problems.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Eagerly awaiting the data from the report that supports your scientific claim. Keep in mind that in order to claim "most", you would have to produce evidence from 51% of owners. If Apple has sold 1 million, that's 500,000. They've likely sold more by now. Good luck.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If this were the case it would be all over the mainstream media.
    It isn`t.

Please try to keep in mind that Macrumors is NOT representative of the majority of Apples customers.

21. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

I have the same issue, did you get a replacement?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ This.
    My iPad 1 had an issue with displaced glass. They exchanged it for a brand new one instantly and without question. I would exchange it if that were mine.

23. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I got a replacement in the end for the 3 issues mentioned, though I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'm quite satisfied with how the apple support has handled the issues (though none of this would happen if QC is a bit more consistent lol)

24. peled macrumors member

peled

It became a known issue now

Some analysts are saying it may delay deliveries in the near future

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I have this but not as bad as OP. You can press in the bezel a little on that corner...annoying. I seem to have the headphone port problem posted in this thread too (though again, it's not as bad as others).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1128871

For the record, the iPad is just about 2 weeks old now and has been treated with care from the moment it came out of the box.