ipad good choice for eReader?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by frocco, Dec 3, 2010.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Hello,

Compared to Kindle and Nook Color, would the ipad be a better choice?
    Would I be able to buy the same books?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, excellent choice and it will do so much more than be an eReader

The Kindle app is also available for free on the iPad

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

An excellent eReading device. The only drawback over the Kindle is that it's more expensive, and it's a little bit harder to read in direct sunlight.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

I love my iPad and it has completely replaced my Kindle. However, if all you're looking for is an ereader, then stick with the Kindle.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You'll get an eReader plus all the extra an iPad offers, so you won't go wrong.

6. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

If your looking for strictly an ereader, or even the best ereader, get a kindle. While the Ipad makes for a perfectly good ereader, its not nearly as good as the e ink readers.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Upselling from a $139 Kindle to a $499 iPad is a big move if an ereader is what he really wants.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well, considering that you can get Nook, Kindle, PDFs and iBooks books on the same iPad it is not quite a straight comparison. IMO that what makes the iPad so much better ereader, it can do so much more, and I got All mayor iBooks distributor available to me. I am no lock to one vendor

9. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

The ipad still cant beat the kindle as a dedicated reader though. For me the kindle has a better screen and much better weight for reading books but the ipad can do so much more...

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My elderly mother reads books, but she is very tech phobic.

I'd love her to have an iPad and use it for things, but I know, in my heart it would be a waste as she would still be writing lists down on paper and writing out address books on paper and using paper calendars.

I can see myself buying her an iPad and then getting annoyed that she is still writing everything down by hand.

For that reason, as much as I'd love to, I really think it would be a waste giving her an iPad, if anything I can see it getting broken as she often drops the book she is reading onto the floor when gets sleepy.

For these reasons, a Kindle is sounding like an interesting item for a Christmas gift.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Kindle does .pdfs as well. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan of the iPad than me, but if a person just wants an e-reader then the Kindle is a no-brainer at $139.

12. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's better than the nook color, but it's a tablet with reader apps, not an e-reader because it has no e-ink, you can't read a lot without bleeding eyes

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I didn't say that the Kindle didn't read PDFs, i was just listing all that the iPAd read, my point being that the $199 vs $499 comparison it is not a fair comparison since the $499 device can do so much more Including access to all ereader book sources (and Exclusivities).

14. steel magnolia macrumors regular

@piggie I think your mother will LOVE the Kindle, just make sure you get her the one with 3G since she doesn't do a lot with computers ( unless she lives with you and you control the wifi)
    I love my Ipad but after a while I realized that after reading at night before going to bed, I was having difficulty going to sleep. Went back to reading on the Kindle and that problem went away. Maybe I am just one of those weird people who has sleeping issues after looking at a backlit screen but I can't read or be online before trying to sleep!
    May I also suggest that you get her the lighted case for the Kindle, I really like it and no more batteries to buy is a plus!

Patty

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm not even trying to compare them. I'm saying if someone wants a bicycle there's no point in convincing them a motorcycle is better. If the original question was about a multi-purpose device that also had e-reader functionality then I'd say "iPad" all the way. Only the OP knows whether the "motorcycle" would be useful. So, I wasn't doing an either/or, merely stating that if the $139 device will do what you want it to do then don't bother with the iPad.

16. phoobo macrumors regular

Yes - as a pure reader, the Kindle is far superior in image quality

I agree with this. I own both. No backlit screen can match e-ink for readability over hours and hours. If you're doing serious reading (over 20 pages a day or so), stick with the Kindle if it's pure text. There's no comparison. I had to read 350 pages the other day and I would have just died doing it on the iPad.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As you wish....on my Book when someone uses the words From and To before and after an adjective it is a straight comparison.

18. SpudGT macrumors member

I really love my iPad, but reading on it for long periods of time does cause some eye strain for me. I am still experimenting with various brightness levels and an anti glare film to find the most comfortable reading settings.

I think using an iPad as a reader opens more sources of books (for example, you get iBooks plus the Kindle App).

If I wanted a dedicated eReader (for doing lots of reading), then I would go with the Kindle. My wife went Kindle and the e-ink display is really impressive when reading text.

19. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i do fine with my paperback and hardcovers. i dont like paying the same price for something that is digital as the physical copy. i heard a rumor that apple is the cause of the sudden rise in ebook prices. amazon had forced publishers into the no higher than $9.99 for a while. then along came the ipad and apple sided with publishers and not consumers. cant blame them tho. if publishers can sell their books for more then apple can have a bigger slice of the pie. and who doesnt like more pie?

oh but you asked if the ipad can do the ereader role. sure, itll do it well enough. looks cool for graphic novels.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Nah! I read 800 pages Architectural book on my cellphone once (took me five days reading a few hours each night), and I'm still alive.

Now I do my reading on the iPad, and wouldn't settle for anything less than that, not even e-ink.

I like the great contrast the ipad display gives. And I can zoom in and out as needed, reducing eye strain even more.

21. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Digital format e-books don't take physical space on your bookshelf, turn yellow and smelly overtime, burn under fire or tend to 'grow legs' and 'mysteriously disappear'. And are not heavy to carry at all. You could bring 50 e-books with you on your trip, and won't have to pay excess weight or kill your back carrying them. :D

Paper is so yesterday, should be used only as T.P. and for legal matters that absolutely require it.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks.

The battery life is a big bonus, I can't see her charging something up very often, the weight, being elderly.

I also wish the latest one did not have a keyboard on the front. Just makes it more complicated looking. Bit it's not behind a flap or something.

She'd never needed a keyboard on a book before !

23. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Keyboard is easy to use for searching, or in the book store. It wont take her very long to figure it out.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well in 15+ years she's never been able to play a video tape, or in more recent years even change the TV channel to play a DVD.

Unless you personally know someone totally techno phobic, it's hard to understand.

25. joeconvert macrumors 6502

While obviously not an e-ink device, I have found that with low brightness, it does well. At least in iBooks the brightness control is readily available, might be in other Apps, just can't remember as I haven't used the other ones for a while.

Also, Song said their app is coming soon, so if you are migrating from that platform, good news as well.