Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
And a private plane is a very expensive form of transportation, but it also has some advantages over a bike when it comes to crossing the ocean, where the bike has advantages for going to the corner market. :D

For example, I am pretty sure posting this reply on a kindle would be difficult, but I am not struggling on my iPad.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i like the iPad as a book reader especially since some books have color graphics in and the iPad is very fast in displaying them and flipping pages.

the only BIG negative I have is that when I'm not reading fast enough the iPad goes to sleep and I have to click the home button and swipe the slider. very annoying when you read difficult stuff and you want to reread a paragraph or rethink something.

Does anybody have a solution for that? Please help!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
And a private plane is a very expensive form of transportation, but it also has some advantages over a bike when it comes to crossing the ocean, where the bike has advantages for going to the corner market. :D

For example, I am pretty sure posting this reply on a kindle would be difficult, but I am not struggling on my iPad.

What I suggest, given that Kindles are so cheap nowadays, is you buy both. Then for everyday usage, the iPad can't be beat. But if you are heading to the beach for a day, throw that Kindle in the beach bag. When you get home, and are reading in bed with the lights out, switch to the iPad.

This is not a zero sum game. Amazon is pricing Kindles as a complementary device to whatever else you've got. No need to fight over it, get both if you can afford it.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
i like the iPad as a book reader especially since some books have color graphics in and the iPad is very fast in displaying them and flipping pages.

the only BIG negative I have is that when I'm not reading fast enough the iPad goes to sleep and I have to click the home button and swipe the slider. very annoying when you read difficult stuff and you want to reread a paragraph or rethink something.

Does anybody have a solution for that? Please help!

Sure, go to Settings | General | Auto-Lock and change your setting so that it doesn't lock so quickly, or even set it to Never so that you won't have to worry about it.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Hello,

Compared to Kindle and Nook Color, would the ipad be a better choice?
Would I be able to buy the same books?

Thanks
Dedicated->kindle nook or any other e-reader

Want to use the rest of the ipad functions as well->ipad.

jazziethomas

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
If you just want it for an e reader I think you should just go for the kindle, well much affordable, but I cant blame you who could resist that charm of iPad.

HvyMtlPlyr

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
My wife wanted a Kindle for Christmas - until she saw the iPad. Just being able to pull up a recipe and have the iPad on the counter sold her. Then realizing she can do her email, browse the web, calendar, etc. she said we should sell her iMac (which we just bought in September).

Also, about the comments of it being hard on your eyes. How many of us are looking at computer screens all day long? Yes, sometimes it's hard on the eyes - others it make no difference. The bottom line is I don't hear anyone saying we should trade in our LCD's for some type of e-ink displays.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
The Ipad is a great e-reader. In most circumstances the books look way better than on a Kindle (e.g. the way pages turn in IBooks). There are more books available (Ibooks, Nook, Kindle, and many other reading apps give you tons of options that the Kindle doesn't have). Plus, there are many, many types of publications that you just won't or can't read on the Kindle (magazines in print format, books like with pictures like art, cooking, home improvement books, comic books, most children's books, books with integrated video). And, of course, you get everything else an Ipad does.

The Kindle does have some advantages: lighter, $350 cheaper, less glare.

I firmly believe that even if you think you just want an e-reader, once you have an Ipad you'll use it for tons of other functions. Thus, the Ipad, while pricier, is a much better value. Thus, unless the extra $$ hurts or you will frequently be reading standing (weight issue) or outdoors (glare), by an Ipad without a second thought

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The new childrens books section of the iBookStore is amazing. It's something the Kindle can't even compete with. Already bought a few to read to my kids. Very nicely done Apple.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
I have all of the standard reading apps like iBooks, kindle, nook, etc. And the only complaint that I have is that they all make it too easy to buy books. I've purchased around 80 books since April and despite always being an avid reader, I've dramatically increased my reading because I can sync between my iPod Touch and my iPad and even with my Blackberry depending upon the app.

I find myself reading everywhere now in places I never carried a book before.

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
I read constantly on my iPad and wouldn't trade it for the Kindle. That said the Kindle is the only e-reader I would consider. But why lock myself down to just the Amazon store when I can have an app for all the stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.