iPad Grabs 58% of Tablet Shipments in 4Q 2011

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Strategy Analytics today announced the results of its calculations of worldwide tablet shipments during the fourth quarter of 2011, revealing that Apple continues to hold a majority of the market as Android improves its standing on the strength of Amazon's Kindle Fire.
Peter King, Director at Strategy Analytics, said, "Global tablet shipments reached an all-time high of 26.8 million units in Q4 2011, surging 150 percent from 10.7 million in Q4 2010. Demand for tablets among consumer, business and education users remains strong. Apple shipped a robust 15.4 million iPads worldwide and maintained its strong market leadership with 58 percent share during the fourth quarter of 2011. Apple shrugged off the much-hyped threat from entry-level Android models this quarter."
Despite strong growth in shipment share for Android, Apple's share is down less than four percentage points since the firm's estimates for the second quarter of last year. Android's other gains appear to have come at the expense of Microsoft and Research in Motion, which registered at 4.6% and 3.3% respectively during the second quarter.

The relevance of Strategy Analytics' numbers have been questioned in the past due to its counting of shipments rather than end sales to customers. With many early Android tablets seeing little interest from consumers, the firm's reports were seen as overstating Android's impact by counting Android tablets still sitting on store shelves while Apple was selling nearly every iPad it could make. It is unclear whether that dynamic has changed with the introduction of the Kindle Fire, which has reportedly seen fairly strong adoption and which may have lower channel inventory needs due to Amazon's heavy emphasis on distribution through its own website.

Article Link: iPad Grabs 58% of Tablet Shipments in 4Q 2011

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
iPad 3 will change market share

This is good but when is the iPad 3 coming out?
I don't know, but when the iPad 3 comes out I'll bet we will see an increase in Apple market share for tablets . . . which is awesome considering Apple only has one tablet product with subsequent models

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lesser Evets said:
I'm surprised MS has such a slim part of the market.

...no, really.

OK, not really.
Who would think otherwise? They don't even have a tablet OS. Windows 8 isn't out yet. Until then, windows doesn't even run on ARM.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm surprised MS has such a slim part of the market.

...no, really.

OK, not really.
I'm actually surprised Android is doing that well. I wonder if that's because Kindle Fire #s are included. I'm sure they are and that is why. I'm not saying they shouldn't be included.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
I'm actually surprised Android is doing that well. I wonder if that's because Kindle Fire #s are included. I'm sure they are and that is why. I'm not saying they shouldn't be included.
SHIPPED vs SOLD

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Why wouldn't they be included?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah the Fire pushed up the Android shipments. It's all good, Android's a decent OS and even if you're iOS faithful, competition is good to make sure the iPad 3 is as good as it can be :)

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Despite strong growth in shipment share for Android, Apple's share is down less than four percentage points since the firm's estimates for the second quarter of last year. Android's other gains appear to have come at the expense of Microsoft and Research in Motion, which registered at 4.6% and 3.3% respectively during the second quarter.
Dahhhh, Q4 2010 to Q4 2011, the graph YOU GUYS show, states 10.6% LOSS for Apple and 10.1% GAIN for Android yet you claim Android is stealing from Microsoft who GAINED 1.5%. Where is this 4.6% coming from? I must be missing something.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
Stop giving these analysts coverage

This research, like most of the research these analysts publish, is so full of holes it's untrue.

You CANNOT compare sold vs shipped figures - jesus I am so sick of saying the same thing over and over again.

Real world experience says that Apple's tablet share is much, much higher - I've seen lots of iPads around but haven't seen any Android based tablets.

Grrrr...

blackcrayon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Why wouldn't they be included?
I think it'd be just as interesting if they were a separate category, since they are Android based but not Google "controlled" (via Google's apps, ecosystem, etc). Obviously there is a lot of overlap but they aren't in quite the same category as a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Isengardtom

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
The android numbers are not bad at all. I wonder if the Kindle is included in these numbers.

Allthough I assume it's a good device, it's not in the same category as the iPad.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
What I can not figure out is how 40% of people have purchased something other than an iPad, seems a bit high. I would have maybe expected <30% at most. The only time I have ever seen android tablets in use, they were still in Office Depot.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Considering Amazon does not release any detail on Kindle sales except total of ALL it 5 versions (from what I read), some huge assumptions on its success.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
It's market share based on shipped units, not actual sales, so it's still a bit meaningless.
And we know from Apple's financial call that Apple sold more iPads than they shipped (as a result of a decrease in channel inventory.) I'd bet the opposite is true for the other devices.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
This is pretty useless analysis. Apple obviously own the tablet sector. If Android had shipped 48% of the tablets in the market it would still be a useless stat. How many have they sold, that's where the story is.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
The relevance of Strategy Analytics' numbers have been questioned in the past due to its counting of shipments rather than end sales to customers.
That's all you need to read people...shipped vs sales.

Tired of these stupid companies that come out with reports like this.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
The android numbers are not bad at all. I wonder if the Kindle is included in these numbers.

Allthough I assume it's a good device, it's not in the same category as the iPad.
Kindle fire is included. And yes. They're both in the same category.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who would think otherwise? They don't even have a tablet OS. Windows 8 isn't out yet. Until then, windows doesn't even run on ARM.
Makes me wonder what M$ did to get on the list?
Re-brand their existing tablet PC product into just "tablet"?
Maybe WindowsPhone is now called WindowsTab, but same device?

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I own an iPad and I also love that the competition is growing. I've seen this data reported in a few different sites over the last day or two, and I'm always curious why it's reported as something positive for Apple. Isn't the most important and interesting information in this table more about Apple's relative *drop* in it's share of shipments?

And I'm not sure I understand why the "shipped versus sold" argument matters. Android tablets have been on the shelves for over a year. If shipments are rising this steadily, then something must be going well on the sales side too. With products like the Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire hitting the shelves, I'm not surprised by it either. The argument would make more sense if Android tablets were a new-fangled thing.