Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
That's all you need to read people...shipped vs sales.

Tired of these stupid companies that come out with reports like this.

This article is not about what is sold. It is what is shipped. Read it again.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
What I can not figure out is how 40% of people have purchased something other than an iPad, seems a bit high. I would have maybe expected <30% at most. The only time I have ever seen android tablets in use, they were still in Office Depot.

I don't know. I have a few friends who purchased the Fire (because of the price point) and my brother ordered the Transformer Prime, because he's an Android guy who loves "specs" and this is the first one that beats the iPad2 in both specs and video performance. Not looking for a flame war, as I believe the iPad is a better offering! Just commenting that people are buying Android-based tablets.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
And we know from Apple's financial call that Apple sold more iPads than they shipped (as a result of a decrease in channel inventory.) I'd bet the opposite is true for the other devices.

I just passed that bit in Steve's Bio. Jobs and Cook absolutely nailed it. Very impressive.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Kindle Fire is Android. Just a customized version of it.

It's "android" by name only. It's not endorsed by google, doesn't have official google apps or market, and is not counted in activations like KnightWRX said.

That's why it's funny when people say the Kindle Fire is the most successful android tablet...reaching.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Kindle Fire is not Android. It uses the code base, but it doesn't use the Android services, nor is it counted by Google in activations.

Good points I agree with, unfortunately it can run a lot of same Andro apps as is, and hardware wise is similar to other tablets, it is just very restrictive.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Yeah the Fire pushed up the Android shipments. It's all good, Android's a decent OS and even if you're iOS faithful, competition is good to make sure the iPad 3 is as good as it can be :)

Apple is competition for everyone else, I do not really see any other company truly competing with Apple.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Not according to the company that owns the name "Android". It uses the Android source code. It is not Android any more than a project that uses the Firefox source code to build their own browser is Firefox.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
It's "android" by name only. It's not endorsed by google, doesn't have official google apps or market, and is not counted in activations like KnightWRX said.

That's why it's funny when people say the Kindle Fire is the most successful android tablet...reaching.

Not all Android devices are endorsed by Google. Also, Amazon customized it, that's why it doesn't have Google Apps or the market.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Not all Android devices are endorsed by Google. Also, Amazon customized it, that's why it doesn't have Google Apps or the market.

It's not an android tablet. Let's leave it at that haha....

when i say "endorsed" i mean google allows its apps and market to run on it.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

You have said nothing different than I did. It's still not counted by Google as an Android device.

----------

That's tablet functionality (read, touch capability) bolted onto the same old desktop OS. It was not made with a tablet in mind at all. Windows 8 may be for both environments, but it was made with tablets in mind.

You're saying Windows XP Tablet PC Edition was not made with tablets in mind ? :confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where are they getting the Android numbers from? We know how many iPads Apple SOLD, have any of the Android makers released sales data? Or is this all a guess? Has Amazon ever released any sales data?

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Not according to the company that owns the name "Android". It uses the Android source code. It is not Android any more than a project that uses the Firefox source code to build their own browser is Firefox.

Terrible analogy.

Here's a better one: I build a distribution that uses the Linux kernel source which includes all kinds of my own customizations and I give it my own name. It's still considered Linux.

Google probably doesn't "endorse" the Fire because Amazon is using their own marketplace, which pisses off Google. Doesn't mean it's not an Android based device.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Terrible analogy.

Here's a better one: I build a distribution that uses the Linux kernel source which includes all kinds of my own customizations and I give it my own name. It's still considered Linux.

Google probably doesn't "endorse" the Fire because Amazon is using their own marketplace, which pisses off Google. Doesn't mean it's not an Android based device.

The point being made here is its not counted in these numbers. No need for analogies. It's a fact.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Only 58%? I'm actually disappointed (no, don't think about the $$$$). I speculated along the figures of over 60% and up. Oh well, AAPL stock FTW nevertheless!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Terrible analogy.

Sure it's based on Android, but it's not an Android device. Google doesn't count it.

You might find his analogy terrible, but it was correct. It's really like RedHat vs CentOS. Both are made from the same sources, but CentOS isn't RedHat Enterprise Linux.

----------

Maybe, but I think Kindle Fire was included in the shipments.

I'm not doubting it was, but I was answering why it shouldn't have been. It should have been counted seperately.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The point being made here is its not counted in these numbers. No need for analogies. It's a fact.

Are you sure? It's one thing to say that it "shouldn't" be counted. It's totally different to say that it's "not" being counted. Can you cite your source which states that this research company decided not to use the Fire in the data?

It would be interesting if you're right. That would tell us that the actual share of Android based shipments is much higher.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Are you sure? It's one thing to say that it "shouldn't" be counted. It's totally different to say that it's "not" being counted. Can you cite your source which states that this research company decided not to use the Fire in the data?

It would be interesting if you're right. That would tell us that the actual share of Android based shipments is much higher.

No I'm not sure, tbh. I just don't see why they would count the Fire in Android tablets when it's not considered an android tablet by Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.