iPad iPad if somebody already has MacBook and iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RazerRazer04, Nov 8, 2013.

1. RazerRazer04 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I own an iphone 5 and an old 13 inch MacBook Pro and I will buy a retina 15 inch MacBook Pro in January. I looked at a iPad air at the apple store and really liked it, however I asked myself the question if an iPad is useful if I already own an iphone and a MacBook. I can't really make up my mind so just share your thought. Thanks

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Buy it =D

It's a lightweight computing/communication device for when you want to save battery life on your phone or just want a larger screen without carrying all the weight of an MBP. Another solution would be to try a MBA 11 inch instead of a 15 inch MBP for something more mobile but with more power.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's more of an in-between device, but can prove to be very useful. Go for it if you have the funds. But since you already have a Mac and an iPhone, what about the mini?

4. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

^^ points.

What he said perfectly describes me. The lighter portability while enjoying a screen larger than my iPhone, for me, just works. Also, if you travel or commute a lot, it will definitely come in handy. Not everyone feels the need for one. It comes down to where it fits in your device routine. If you haven't already, consider stopping by a store where you can have a play. Holding the different sizes compared to what you're used to, is a great help. It's also a great way to drive yourself nuts if you can't afford one right now, but I digress...

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on how much you travel and what you do when traveling.

I travel with 17" MBP, 10" iPad, and iPhone.

Love playing racing games on iPad.

6. mirz2000 macrumors regular

It is so much more comfortable to sit in your favorite chair and read the news from an ipad than an awkward laptop or tiny phone. Do you need it? No, but if you can swing it, give it a try. You could always return it if you find it isn't something you use.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Absolutely, an iPad air fits nicely between the two. I've had an iPad, Mac laptop and iPhone for a couple years now, and found there are lots of a situations where a laptop is overkill and an iPhone just isn't enough. That's the niche where the iPad fits in.

Will you use the other devices less? Yes, a little at first. But you'll find that the iPad doesn't really replace the other two devices... what it does is, fill in the usage gaps that the other two were really doing double-duty to try and fill.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Of course it is. It is a lot more portable than the MacBook and has a much nicer screen than the iPhone. It may not be necessary, but it sure is useful.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I own all 3, each have their own purpose and honestly it's all I need.

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I too own all 3 and I can tell you my iPad gets used more than the rest. As someone said, buy one and try it out. If you don't think you will use it much just return it.

11. isephmusic macrumors 6502

the new retina macbooks 13 are so light and slim they might as well be an ipad with keyboard....

12. JGWolven macrumors regular

You will appreciate an iPad. It's hard to put it down.

13. MauerFan07 macrumors member

If you can afford it, go for it! I have a mini, and 15" MBP, and i find the mini to be an excellent companion. Planning on trading the mini in, and getting an Air though. :D

14. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I am having the same dilemma OP. I use a 13" MBA that I attach to an external display sometimes, and I use a 5C. I really like the idea of having an iPad and being able to fiddle around on a bigger screen when lounging around instead of using my iPhone, but I feel like $500 is a lot of money for that. I feel like I would get buyers remorse. I do think the Air is amazing though. I also struggle with switching to ebooks. I enjoy reading real books and collecting them but on the same hand I realize how much space that takes up.

15. JFC macrumors member

I just added the iPad Air to my iPhone 5s and MacBook Pro 15in. Ultimately you can accomplish everything you want to do without the iPad, but each of the three offer different solutions that the others don't do as well. All three are technically mobile devices but the iPhone really is mobile. The MacBook is powerful and can handle things iOS devices can't even think about. The iPad is the perfect middle-ground that blends the two; mid-level mobile computing on a super-light device with a screen size between an iPhone and a MacBook, with mobile apps optimized for a larger screen. If you can afford it, your will never ask yourself why you got it, you will be very glad that you did.

16. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

With iCloud you can seamlessly transition between devices for common tasks like email, web browsing, etc. It's particularly nice for business when you can leave the laptop in the office, walk and continue email on the iPhone, then finish up or during commute on the iPad.

17. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Check out the iPad Mini, I just got one (not retina) to replace 1st gen iPad and I'm finding I can't put it down. I have MacBook Pro 13, iPhone 5. If you wait for a retina mini it'll have the A7 processor, so should be faster than your iPhone 5, my iPad mini has A5, so not as fast as iPhone 5, but without retina it does just fine w/iOS 7, big improvement over 1st gen iPad. The mini is very portable, thin and light, yet the size of the screen is big enough it still finds it's place between the laptop & iPhone (when iPhone is too small, iPad is just right).

When you are on your Mac, with various apps, you can use the iPad as a touchpad, remote, or even secondary screen, also.

18. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

The iPad is the least necessary of the three. It's just a bigger iPhone. That said, for certain apps (books, videos, note taking, for starters), having that bigger screen is pretty awesome. I'd get it if you have the extra money, but it's not really something that you need.

19. jeffmo macrumors member

I have the trifecta and I've found that the iPad is great for lecture slides, MBP is great for home/library work and the iPhone is just great in general.

So look for whatever suits your needs best and that is where your decision will lie.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I own an iPhone, 15" MacBook Pro and an iPad air. The iPad is what I like to call a "lounging & travel" device. It's something you curl up with in bed or on the couch and just absorb all your digital content. Whilst you can do that with your iPhone, I feel that the iPad enhances there experience. :)

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that an iPad is the least necessary, but it is by far the one that I use the most. For many tasks, the iPhone is too small, the MacBook is too heavy, and the iPad is just right! :D

22. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I have all three and do t regret it. I use my iMac or MacBook when at home and my air when I am out and about. I only use my phone for texting and calls.
    The nice thing about Apple is that I don't have to have my phone with me in the house when waiting for a text or email as all my apple stuff syncs with each other

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

5s, 15" Mbpr and iPad air here. Works good for me:)

24. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I have iPad 2, iPhone 4s, 11" & 13" MBA, 15" MBP, and Mac Pro, and each device serves a distinct role in my computing life.

I find that my iPad 2 gets the most usage, even when I have both my 11" MBA and iPad, side by side; it is just far easier to grab my iPad to check mail, quickly get online than it is to pick up my MBA and do the same.

I will probably always have an iPad as I think it is a phenomenal device, and I enjoy using it, no matter what other toys I happen to have at hand.

FWIW, I will pick up an iPad Mini Retina as soon as they are available to complement my iPad 2.

25. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have all three as well. The MacBook has essentially become my desktop machine, but the portability that it has allows me to take it with me when I need to. The iPhone is used mainly for quick checks of email and apps for things like my checkbook, foursquare a game here and there, taking pictures and of course texting and phone calls. The iPad fits nicely in between the two and honestly gets used more than the other two.

I am considering getting an iMac in February or March or maybe just upgrading to a newer MacBook Pro (retina). Haven't decided for sure yet.