MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

145030-ipad_internals_500.jpg

Engadget reports that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has published a number of photos of Apple's iPad as part of the company's application for approval based on radiation emission requirements. The photos had been submitted in mid-March with Apple's application but were kept from public view due to a confidentiality request from Apple.
With the iPad they didn't just bother to test out the radiation and maybe take a little peek for themselves under the covers, but instead disassembled the whole machine on camera. Unfortunately they took it upon themselves to cover over the specific chips, so we'll have to wait for one of those pro bono teardowns to get the full lay of the land, but it's still a unique look at the makeup of this thing.
As the report notes, information that remains confidential has been covered in the images but it is still interesting to see the internal components such as the large, thin battery that is nearly as wide as the device itself.

Article Link: iPad Internal Photos Posted to Federal Communications Commission Site

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
For some reason the site is broken for me and won't let me download the PDFs. Does anyone see if the camera hole is in the frame like those leaked pics from awhile back?

Comment

Coconutsport

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Wow...

It looks like two huge batteries side by side with the "brains" (the meat part of a iPod Touch) on top. Those monster batteries are the reason that it's getting 12+ hours watching movies with that big screen. Not much else in there eh? no wonder Apple said they could sell these for cheaper if the market dictated. They're gonna make a killing on this thing.

Comment

Matt OS X

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
What happened to the iSight camera mount found inside of iPad that we saw someone posted right after the iPad keynote?

Comment

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Good to see the batteries are easy to remove so the equipment which should be as suitable to watch movies in 10 years' time as it is today will remain in use in the average household.

Comment

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
London City
Not that this has anything to do with the iPad, but the reports on the FCC has measurements in metric - thought USA was still imperial users?

Comment

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I was surprised by all the space inside too, but what I found most surprising was that the request for confidentially letter was written by an engineer and not an attorney.

Comment

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Who thinks they can find USB pinouts (via the 30 pin at least) and solder them to a SD reader? Maybe the guts of the camera connection kit? Make all that internal? heh heh The hard part will be opening it, thats for sure.

Comment

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Those batteries could be a lot bigger. Imagine the battery life you would get if all that spare space was battery!

Comment

Kurite

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
The photo where everyone exclaims about how spacious it is, well, remember that the space could be filled with the backpane of the screen. It's really hard to tell if that is wasted space for future upgrades or merely a consequence of the teardown. Also the case is curved, so the usable space may be far less than you think. Weight and balance is a concern too...

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
LOTS O ROOM for expansion!

I can see them putting the SD slot on the side and cameras for front and back.

I really wish people weren't salivating for them just so Apple would lower the price by $100 or offer the 3G one for the same price since you have to pay extra for the service anyways...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.