iPad - is the new iPad a smart buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pedromartins, Oct 28, 2012.

?

In this case, is the new iPad a smart buy?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2012.
  1. Yes

52.7%
  2. No

33.8%
  3. it depends (explain, please)

13.5%
  1. pedromartins, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

pedromartins Suspended

Finally i will have a go at the iPad,

My girlfriend's old Dell is dead, so she is going to try the new iPad (she has a "backup" 15.6 inch Acer at home, for the rare cases where she might need a Laptop). It is going to be her second Apple product (after the shuffle i gave her a few months ago) and I'm here to help. Looks like a great moment/opportunity to try the tablet world, and we are "covered" (the backup laptop situation).

For me, since i have the amazing machine that is the 2011 i7 air, I will pull the trigger.. But for the iPad mini.

My only concerns are related to the fact that this is a big investment (but needed on her case, not mine.. For me (the iPad mini i want) is just a "luxury", but in her case the new iPad is the smartest buy possible, the best computer ever made for her needs.) and that there is no Apple Store in Portugal.

Is Applecare a "must"? My computer is just amazing.. But an iOS device, i don't know. What i know is that this tablet must be perfectly functional until the end of university (4 years, my air will have a 6 year life span as my main laptop, 5 to go) and it will be treated carefully, it's a "big" investment when people here earn less than 500euros per month, so when we are "pushing it" for the 609 price tag, plus a case, the extra 80 € for Applecare are a pain.

I think a lot before buying any tech product and i treat them very carefully. My air (was bought 14 months ago) is in Mint condition, no ugly cases and goes with me everywhere, I use it a lot, really. But computers with my girlfriend? They do not have the same treatment and at my eyes, it's just amazing how that lovely creature can be so dangerous when she is close to my Mac. Women and computers... dangerous cocktail.

Since tablets are a new thing, I don't have the necessary data to make an absolute conclusion...
    This is a very serious and calculated buy, and the iPad will be used 10h everyday, so all information is essential.

What is your opinion? Are iPads mac-like tough? And what about build quality? Anyone that uses an iPad as their main computing device?
    Any opinions are welcome.

P.S. Other tablets are not an option since when compared to the new iPad they loose on every single department.

In my opinion, the iPad is now ready for primetime on any area, any situation. It's an amazing computer, the a6x will be pure joy, great battery, great screen, great ecosystem and the best company in the world watching your back, but build quality is the difference between a great buy and a "shouldn't have done that" and i don't have experience with them, like i do with computers... So the fact that we do not have Apple Stores here to resolve any "problem" immediately is a cause of concern, and every-time i talk with a "FNAC guy", i just want to punch those ignorants (really, what's the point in having 18yo dropouts telling me why i should buy the huge POS alienware or series 7 because their are the best since you can play PES and Skyrim on it), so resellers in Portugal are a no-no.

Best regards. (please after voting, explain your point of view. thank you)

[​IMG]

2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I totally voted before I read your post. If she needs a laptop, she should get a laptop.

By "needs a laptop" I don't mean think about the things that you CAN do on both but might feel a little constrained on the iPad. I mean things that there is no way to do on an iPad.

The main thing I can think of that would apply to most people in the world now is managing their photos from a digital camera. I have over 300GB of photos and I'm not a "photographer", I just like taking a lot of pictures. I keep my actual data on an external and then the library file on my Mac. There is no way I can think of for someone to get photos from a digital camera to an external disk (I use a mirrored set) with only the iPad as a "manager".

Yes, you can put photos on your iPad and edit them, but that's not really a solution for the amount of data we are all going to end up with from these 8-12MP cameras that shoot 1080p video.

I think one needs a computer that the iPad can compliment, this doesn't have to be a $1K laptop, an older Mac mini would work just fine as well.

If she has no camera, no music, no video to manage locally then MAYBE the iPad is a good solo option, but if a person has a "digital life" then I think they need a Mac.

3. pedromartins, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

pedromartins thread starter Suspended

First of all, thanks for your help.

In this case, she already has a "new" laptop that can be used when needed. Granted, it's not a premium product (far from it.. actually Acer has 0 premium products) but is "enough". Also, since we have access to eduroam even at home (dorm), things like syncing/storage/icloud becomes a non-issue.

However, since we are university students, we (she) need(s) something that is truly mobile (light and long battery life), has a great screen for reading (Not only books, but PDFs), an exploding app(biology, science, etc)/music/video ecosystem, has great performance... She wants a BETTER device for this sort of thing, and that's undoubtedly an iPad, nothing else.

My main cause of concern is related with iOS devices' build quality. Are iPads as good as macs? Any experience related to this?

Portugal has 0 Apple Stores and Resellers are not a viable option for a "serious" Apple buy. They assume 0 responsibility and just send things back for Apple (in case of problem with your device)... Since we have internet (lol) resellers have 0 relevance... But this makes an hypothetical device failure a big inconvenient.

So, the build quality of an iPad has maximum relevancy when deciding if we should buy it or not.

4. pedromartins thread starter Suspended

Lots of "no" without justifying.. what's the point?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Your post is really long, you should make it shorter if you want people to read it. I didn't even read the whole thing, to be honest.

It looks like
    1) Your gf needs a device for school
    2) She has access to a laptop, so a laptop is not exactly necessary.
    3) A tablet may be a good choice. Is it the iPad?

Sure, the iPad is fine. I'm not sure what you mean by "build quality" though or if they're good as macs. They're different things right?:eek:

6. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Of course it is a good decision. I bought one plus a mini!:rolleyes:

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

An iPad is a terrible laptop replacement. If it's between the two, always get the laptop.

8. pedromartins thread starter Suspended

Why is the size of the post relevant?I was just trying to explain my situation correctly, hoping for some well thought answers.

What I mean by "build quality" is very simple. People usually treat iOS devices as something with 1 year lifespan. In this case, that isn't an option. Can the iPad have the same life span of a mac?

----------

Could you at least read my post?

9. Noisemaker Guest

That's a ridiculous statement.

"Please make your post shorter, because people won't read it." How stupid. If you want to contribute, read the post and do so. If not? Bugger off.

On topic...

I voted Yes. I use an iPad instead of a laptop daily. The only thing I've found that I can't really do well on it is program. That's because I use Xcode, and there's simply no replacement for it on iPad. Other than that? It works perfectly for every other need.
    I think it would be a great option for your girlfriend - especially if she doesn't have very intensive needs as far as computing.

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If build quality is what you are looking for then you definitely want an iPad. I spent several hours with the surface and it has the worst build quality of any tablet I've seen previously including the array of android models like nexxus, kindle fire and others... With surface i noticed that i found myself using the virtual keyboard instead if the keyboard cover.

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

The biggest downside to the iPad compared to computers is the lack of a file system. Unless you send the item to a cloud and download it from the computer. Right now you can save files on the iPad but it will only register under that application you can't pull it from the device.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

so true. I was going to read and vote, and then saw the wall of text.

13. pedromartins thread starter Suspended

If that's the case:

don't read
    don't vote
    don't post.

your opinion and posts becomes useless.

Thanks for those good people that tried to help.

To the others... I had no clue that macrumours was so "polluted". Really.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Agree

15. urkel macrumors 68030

That's not ridiculous at all. People out here genuinely want to help which is why they click into topics like this. But then when you see a wall of text then you give up because now helping a guy out feels like a job. Not everyone gives free advice so it's courteous to not go nuts on the details and get to the point.

Edit: Just checked and on my iPhone 5 then it was four swipes to get to the end of the OPs post. :)

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you make it easier to read, more people will be willing to contribute - if that makes any sense. I was not trying to sound rude; people on this forum are more willing to help if you make it easy for them. :eek:

There isn't any reason as to why the iPad wouldn't last a couple of years, especially since the battery lasts as many recharge cycles as a Mac laptop. In my experience, iOS devices get slower with each major update. We can't really be sure though because the iPad hasn't been out that long. But I don't see why not.

17. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I voted depends. While I was pursuing my degree I used my 13" MBA on a daily basis and rarely picked up my iPad 2. Now that I’ve graduated I find just the opposite to be true.

I question why you say "for the rare cases that she might need a laptop". Having access to a real computer, and as amazing as the iPad in my opinion it falls short of being a real computer, was pretty much a necessity. I tried going iPad only a go for a couple of months but found it very frustrating to work with multiple documents at one time. When writing a paper in addition to my word processor I'd typically have several PDF's, numerous web pages, a bibliography app and a spread sheet or two open. Working with multiple apps can be done on the iPad but jumping between apps is a whole lot easier on a laptop.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Just trying to give you advice going forward. There are hundreds of threads daily. Most of the people (myself included) who give advice will over look an essay

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

If she has a laptop, but wants something smaller and lighter to use through the day, the iPad is a good complement to the laptop.

The only reason not to buy one would be financial.

20. jojoba macrumors 68000

If your gf is in college, I would definitely not recommend the iPad as a 'main computing device'. The iPad is a great complement to a laptop, but not a replacement. I'm an academic and use my iPad extensively, so I'm not saying it's not useful for studying - but if she is aiming for a 'computer', the iPad isn't the right choice. I think she should list the specific things she needs the new device to do, and then consider whether to get an iPad or a small, portable laptop. For example, an iPad may not allow her to upload documents to her university's online learning system (if she needs to do that to complete assignments), and it doesn't have proper integration with Microsoft Office documents, if she is working on projects with other students where the final product has to be submitted in a Word or PowerPoint format. On the other hand, if she is going to use it primarily as a reading or note taking device, the iPad is great.

21. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

A couple of points re longevity.

You comment that you (collectively) would need the iPad to be functional for 4 years. Considering that the iPad has only been in existence for 3 years, we have no way of responding to that.

In addition, there is the iOS problem. There have already been some reports of the new iOS 6 causing lag and other issues on the original ipad. Although it is true ... nobody forces you to update to a new release.

iPads get hurt when they are dropped. Glass shatters. A good case helps but doesn't always eliminate that. Apple Care + will give you damage insurance but only for two years and two incidents. Not sure if it would be extendable at expiration but then you get into diminishing returns so probably not worth it.

I'm sure your gf will love her iPad, mine is stuck to my hip, don't know what I ever did without it. But, based on her needs, I'm not sure it is the right choice for her at this time.

22. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

OP is in Europe, and presumably Apple think Europeans are are more careful with their gadgets so can't have AppleCare+ as we don't need it :rolleyes:.

Maybe one day we will be able to have it as well ;).

23. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

He asked if Apple Care is a must. I thought he meant +. You made me smile :)

24. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No. The refurb iPad is a much better value. No point of buying new as its going to be outdated in a few months.

25. pedromartins thread starter Suspended

what are you talking about? the new imagination rogue series will only be ready for iPad use after summer.. really after..