Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
You know, I thought about it before buying my iPad and I actually bashed it as well for being just a "big iPod Touch" but after owning one for a few weeks now, I really notice that the iPod Touch is actually more a "small iPad" then the iPad being a "big iPod Touch". I can't even look at my iPhone the same anymore (waiting on my iPhone 4, maybe that will help) it just seems small, cramped and underpowered.

I love the battery life, browsing on it and some of the HD apps (PvZ HD FTW!) but all in all, I don't think I'll regret buying my iPad even if there is a G2, I'll still be quite happy with my G1 iPad.

About lack of flash:

1) Less ads. Thanks!
2) No more Facebook Games. (Thank god). Broke my addiction easily.
3) No more streaming TV episodes. Bit of a blow but I use AirVideo which has suited me quite well for downloading + streaming. No issue for me, just a few extra minutes of my time.

About lack of front facing camera:

1) Honestly, I don't see Apple actually implementing one in the future. The iPad is quite large and adding a front facing Camera would be kinda weird. I mean you'd have to hold it upright properly, might not support landscape.. and I mean I have (will have, rather) an iPhone 4 to fix that need.

About the lack of USB ports:

1) I feel a USB port would be quite silly. I can't think of anything I'd need to actually plug in via USB to my iPad. I mean there is a Keyboard dock, adding a USB webcam would be stupid looking and awkward to use.. maybe for a camera but there is a connection kit already.
2) No more drivers/updating drivers etc. It's just more simple.

I really don't think the iPad is actually lacking any real features personally, and is a great laptop killer for non-power users.

What do you think?

Mayo7

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
You know, I thought about it before buying my iPad and I actually bashed it as well for being just a "big iPod Touch" but after owning one for a few weeks now, I really notice that the iPod Touch is actually more a "small iPad" then the iPad being a "big iPod Touch". I can't even look at my iPhone the same anymore (waiting on my iPhone 4, maybe that will help) it just seems small, cramped and underpowered.

I love the battery life, browsing on it and some of the HD apps (PvZ HD FTW!) but all in all, I don't think I'll regret buying my iPad even if there is a G2, I'll still be quite happy with my G1 iPad.

About lack of flash:

1) Less ads. Thanks!
2) No more Facebook Games. (Thank god). Broke my addiction easily.
3) No more streaming TV episodes. Bit of a blow but I use AirVideo which has suited me quite well for downloading + streaming. No issue for me, just a few extra minutes of my time.

About lack of front facing camera:

1) Honestly, I don't see Apple actually implementing one in the future. The iPad is quite large and adding a front facing Camera would be kinda weird. I mean you'd have to hold it upright properly, might not support landscape.. and I mean I have (will have, rather) an iPhone 4 to fix that need.

About the lack of USB ports:

1) I feel a USB port would be quite silly. I can't think of anything I'd need to actually plug in via USB to my iPad. I mean there is a Keyboard dock, adding a USB webcam would be stupid looking and awkward to use.. maybe for a camera but there is a connection kit already.
2) No more drivers/updating drivers etc. It's just more simple.

I really don't think the iPad is actually lacking any real features personally, and is a great laptop killer for non-power users.

What do you think?
Well to be honest with you your take on the features that are lacking sound more like justifications you've just made up to keep yourself happy.. but hey, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

I personally think the iPad would have been more useful to me if it included all the stuff that's missing (Flash support, webcam, usb port), but maybe there are some good reasons behind it. hopefully so. regardless, i'm very happy with mine as well :)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Ahhhh Hello, they make cases for the iPad that would allow it to stand up right. And holding it with two hands while using facetime would not be awkward. I actually think the iPad will provide a better facetime experience.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I own my iPad since last week and I totally love it. It has completely changed the way I do computing. It gives me a lot more freedom and options when I want to surf the Internet, check email, play games, watch movies and listen to music and podcasts. Sure I still love to use my Mac Pro, but for most of the day I find myself using the iPad for the above common tasks that the iPad can do.
Of course when I need to do sth more advanced, I use my Mac Pro.
Using an iPod Touch is certainly more useful when on the road, and especially for listen to music, checking emails and limited internet surfing.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
I wrote this blog piece a month ago (warning, it's a thousand words, but if you want to read it, be my guest):

The iPad
Yesterday, the iPad was launched internationally. In the true spirit of an Apple 'fanboy' I have tested the device for 3 days to fully appreciate it and write a meaningful review.

One word many fanboys use to describe every new piece of technology Steve's team has conjured at Apple is magic. No major technology company in the world has had as much success as Apple at transforming fringe technology into mainstream devices that capture the imagination of the world. I could go back as far as the Macintosh to give examples of this power of transformation, but I believe the first real breakthrough that put Apple on its way to becoming the world's technology leader is the iPod. By redefining the old concept of the Walkman and 'mobile' cassette player, Apple forever changed the way we listen to music.

Apple have a penchant for finding new ways to apply the technology that they develop to new devices. You take the iPod, slap on a piece of multitouch glass, the most intuitive mobile operating system that builds on the iPod software, basic telephone capabilities, a camera as an afterthought, and extend the concept of the iTunes store to allow software developers sell small applications and voilà, you've defined the smartphone!

In much the same way, the first impression one gets of the iPad is that Apple have gone one step further and super sized the iPod touch to create a new piece of 'magic' to capture the imagination of the world. Like the iPod that redefined mobile music, and the iPhone that redefined the phone, one's tempted to say the iPad is Apple's attempt to redefine the tablet PC. I'd be tempted to agree with this view, except that I'm not quite sure I'd even go as far as calling the iPad a tablet PC... it really doesn't feel like a PC in its functionality. Neither will I disparage the device as a super sized smartphone or iPod touch. For starters, it doesn't make your typical phone call, if you discount Skype, and its a lot more capable than an iPod. It feels different from Apple's previous innovations. The iPod is an evolved Walkman. The iPhone is an evolved mobile phone. It's a lot more difficult (not necessarily impossible) to strictly categorise the ipad as a natural progression of any other single existing device.

In his address at the unveiling of the iPad, Steve jobs mentioned that the target with the iPad was to create a new category of device that does a number of things better than both a smartphone and a notebook. The iPad is designed to be the ultimate device for browsing the web, email, viewing photos, watching video and youtube, listening to music, viewing maps, playing games and manipulating documents on the go. To sum it up, the iPad was designed to be the ultimate personal media consumption device. Whether it delivers on this is open to debate.

I have decided to use the targets set for the iPad as a framework for reviewing the device. In other words, is it really the ultimate media device that does browsing, email, photos, video, music, maps and on-the-go document manipulation better than a notebook or smartphone? But with many other devices, the iPad, I believe, will find many new unintended applications. I will discuss some of the trends that have emerged this early on in the life of the device.

The Hardware and Operating System:

The iPad is 9.5" tall, 7.5" wide and 0.5" thick. It weighs just 1.5 lbs (add an insignificant 0.1 lbs for the 3G model). It looks a lot smaller in person than it does in pictures, but I'd say it's pleasantly smaller in this respect. It also feels lighter than I expected - about as heavy as a typical paperback textbook. It has an aluminium casing that makes it solid to touch and what feels like a polymer coating that makes it smoother to touch. Its overall physical appearance shares a great deal of semblance with the iPod touch. It has a rectangular form with the front dominated by a large display, straight edges, rounded corners and a slightly curved back profile with the prominent Apple logo centred.The Apple logo is a plastic inlay that occludes the Wifi antenna. The overall impression about the build is that it is solid, rugged and durable. The iPad should take a fair bit of wear and tear without falling apart. I would however strongly recommend any potential owner gets a case to go with it.

The most prominent hardware component of the ipad is obviously the 9.7" IPS LED-backlit XVGA Capacitive Multitouch Display with oleophobic coating. Breaking down the geek-speak, it has a great view from practically every possible viewing angle, it is a very bright screen that produces evenly lit pictures with brilliant colour, it produces high definition images, it is highly sensitive to finger gestures and resists smudging from greasy fingers. The screen is really brilliant... much better than anything I've seen on any device of this size. Images are crisp and colours are vivid. The screen excels at touch. It is much better than the touch on the iPhone and iPod touch. The screen is highly responsive and all that extra space makes it even that much better.

Related to touch is the keyboard, both in landscape and portrait mode. My initial expectation was that a Bluetooth keyboard was an essential accessory for serious typing. To my surprise, the keyboard is highly usable. This entire review has been composed on an iPad. And while I can only compose at about 30-40 words per minute (half my maximum speed on a full desktop keyboard) and I make twice as many mistakes (which are almost always automatically corrected unlike a PC keyboard), the touch keyboard is sufficient for composing thoughts, essays, study and personal notes, email and chat amongst other day-to-day uses.

Other external features of the iPad are 4 buttons (power, volume, screen rotation lock, and home), a 3.5mm headphone jack (for standard and apple headphones), a microphone, speakers and the standard apple mobile device port.

The screen rotation lock is essential. The iPad has no natural orientation - no up or down. Applications and the interface switch to optimise the use of the orientation that the device is held. This can however be a pain if one is, for example, reading or watching video in bed. The lock allows you to fix the orientation to suit the purpose.

The iPad has a built in microphone, which is necessary for a number of apps. Surprisingly I found that the iPad did not come with two functions of the iPhone OS that use the mic - Voice Control and Voice Memos. This is a confounding omission on Apple's part. They are added functionalities that take little away from the device. Skype was the only way I could test the microphone immediately and the quality was as good as I expected.

As an audiophile, I am very particular about the quality of sound reproduction, especially in the sound range of string instrumentals. While I could be more thorough in the description of various aspects of the sound quality, I find that the most intuitive way to describe the sound quality is to compare it to what one would expect from a range of devices, the lowest 'score' being comparable to a mobile phone's speaker, then net book speakers, all the way to Bose Surround Sound Home theatres. The least I expected was something marginally better than typical netbook speakers. I'd compare the quality over a range of audio files to that of a mid-range notebook. This is not particularly outstanding, but satisfactory. Audio output from the headphone jack was full quality 24-bit stereo sound, which is also good.

The iPad lacks a USB drive to connect peripheral devices directly. Many have found this disappointing, especially those that consider this to be a tablet PC. Allowing USB devices to be directly connected to the iPad will effectively make it a standalone device that replaces the notebook. Apple have been very careful to place this product in a new segment that does not cannibalise Mac sales by replacing them. It is designed to COMPLIMENT your PC, not replace it. This is critical, not only to Apple's marketing, but to the success of the device. Making a notebook this small with the burden of installing a range of drivers to operate a range of peripherals is irrelevant to its purpose as a media consumption device, strips a lot of its intrinsic advantages and scales up costs exponentially to make it impractical as a mainstream device. If a MacBook Air costs £1000 how much will it cost if you shrunk it to the size of an iPad? Will you still have 10 hours of battery life? What apple have done here is to have the standard port double as an SD card reader and output for connecting to external TVs. What many would like to see here is HDMI connectivity for an external monitor or TV.

Also missing is a webcam for iChat and Skype. Many will accuse Apple of holding back on features to allow modest improvements every year. All we can do is speculate about motives and the economist in me has a few ideas about these. However I will focus on how this affects the iPad's bid to be the ultimate media consumption device. A webcam is something I like to see in devices, but I seldom use it. I have never made a video call and perhaps only ever had a dozen odd video chats. Despite the availability of this function on a multitude of devices, it is seldom used. The rule at apple is: don't bother doing something unless you can do it really well and better than anyone else. That iChat is coming on the iPhone HD ( to be unveiled on June 7) is an indication that Apple may have figured out what's wrong with webcams and how to make them useful. This makes me wonder even more why it's been left out of the iPad. If whatever innovation Apple comes up with regarding iChat is a success, this will be a blow to the first generation iPad as the ultimate media consumption device.

Under the hood, the iPad is driven by Apple's custom chip, the A4. This integrates a low power 1 GHz processor with 256 MB of RAM. The specification looks underwhelming but belies the incredible responsiveness of the device. Apps open quickly. Webpages load faster than my formidable custom-built Windows 7-based Home Theatre PC. Netbooks are incredibly slow, compared to the iPad at doing anything that the iPad does. It takes 12 seconds from the moment you touch the power button to shutdown the iPad and 23 seconds to start it from a complete shutdown. Of course you never really have to shutdown the iPad.

The iPad has a solid state drive (flash) of 16, 32, or 64 GB. These can hold a fair bit of media at any given point. Considering that you sync the iPad through iTunes on a computer that holds all your media, this is more than sufficient storage. I believe the 32 GB models are ideal. Typical media libraries are about 7-10 GB, so 16 GB will be stretching it, if you load a couple of H.264 encoded movies at 1.8 GB each.

The iPad comes with a 25 Watt-hour lithium polymer battery that provides more than 10 hours of regular use, watching movies, browsing the Internet, listening to music and viewing pictures. This holds out nicely compared to laptops and mobile phones. Some of the best netbooks hold about 7 hours of a battery at best (excluding heavy broadband usage). Unlike the iPhone and iPod however, the iPad cannot be charged on a computer with a USB cable while it is on. A computer's USB port can only provide enough power to run the iPad, not charge it at the same time. You need to charge it with its charger.

The iPad is completely quiet. There are absolutely no moving parts, no fans to cool processors. Because it uses solid state drives, there's no risk of damaging the drive from a short fall. Moving parts are the main reason computers break in 3 or so years, along with diminishing battery life and power damage. The overall impression about the build is that it is a solid, rugged and durable device that can take a fair bit of wear and tear without falling apart. For this reason, I suspect the only reason one might find to replace an iPad is to get a new one with new features. The quietness of the device makes it a joy to use. I find using my PC at night stressful because of the noise of the 'quiet' fan. Watching a movie at night on a PC can really damage the quality of sleep one gets.

The iPad runs the iPhone OS 3.2. It is instantly familiar to anyone that has used an iPod touch or iPhone. The home button brings you to the main screen. At the bottom of the screen is a tray that holds 4 apps. The remaining apps are displayed as buttons arranged in a 4x5 or 5x4 array per page, depending on the orientation. The background can be customised, unlike in the current iPhone. Most of the gestures on the iPhone also apply to the iPad. Many of the core apps such as Calendar, Notes, Contacts, Maps, Video, Youtube, iTunes, App Store, Settings, Safari, Mail, iPod and Photos have been included, but all redesigned to make full use of the specifications to produce apps that are much, much better and more functional than what you'd find on the iPhone/iPod touch. Some of the apps will be reviewed further vis-a-vis their success at attempting to make the iPad the ultimate media consumption device.

iPad: The Personal Media Consumption Device.

As mentioned earlier, the iPad sets out to do a number of things better than notebooks and smartphones: browsing, email, video, maps, photos, music, reading and document manipulation on-the-go.

Browsing:

The safari browser needs no introduction. The large screen allows entire webpages to be clearly visible at once. It combines the clarity of the view of a laptop screen with the joy of using touch. The ability to manipulate pages intuitively with the fingers gives a great user experience. I'm tempted to say its a much better browsing experience than a notebook (definitely better than a smartphone) but..... Flash! The first website I visited was BBC iPlayer. The second was http://www.NBA.com to check on the scores of the Lakers/Phoenix result. Disappointingly, I couldn't see the scores immediately because the band at the top of the page that displays scores is flash-based. I went on to download an app called SportsTap to track the game. Apple's long-running battle with Adobe over flash is well-publicised, with rather interesting exchanges between both camps. There's an African proverb that says when two elephants fight, the ground suffers. This is true in this case. Users of the iPhone and even more so, the iPad, will attest to this.

It appears Apple is finally gaining the upper hand at killing flash. They've pushed for the adoption of the infant HTML 5 protocols that allow h.264 videos to be directly embedded in websites without the use of flash. Organisations that take their web presence seriously are moving towards compliance. The BBC iPlayer used to be flash based, and out of the reach of iPhone users. Now, BBC has launched a beta site that is fully accessible on the iPad and everyone is playing catch up, not to miss out on the huge market of iPad users, which could top 10 million by Christmas. But we must not lose track of what is important here. The question here is if the iPad is the best browsing experience. The day the flash problem is history, it will be. Until, then, I'm afraid the iPad has not achieved this objective.

contd....

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
part 2....

Email:

The email client on iPhone is brilliant and it just got better. The Mail app takes full advantage of the real estate of the screen to make it easier to navigate large numbers of email and access them. Smart features like information recognition picks out information, such as addresses, phone numbers etc and allows you to use them in maps, add them to contacts etc. I did however find one flaw with the application... Attachments. The interface does not support adding attachments directly to emails that you have composed. For pictures, you have to start by selecting your picture from the photo app and choosing to send them as an email. For documents, it is even more convoluted and so far, it appears that you can only attach one picture to an email.

The issue with attachments extends further to the filing system on the iPad. There's no visible filing directory and you can't create a general folder to hold documents without using an application like GoodReader (which I believe is a must-have). The implication of this is that for example on Facebook, when you want to upload a picture or change your profile pic, you can't do it directly and you have to use Facebook's email system instead to mail the picture unto your profile. Again, this is something I expect Apple to fix soon, perhaps with the upcoming OS upgrade this year.

Overall, I would say the Mail application is fantastic, but pending Apple finding a way to implement a directory system and support attachments mre freely, it again falls short of delivering the ultimate mail experience.

Video:

I have an original digital copy of the Star Trek movie, which has given me ample opportunity to test video on the iPad. This copy was downloaded directly from iTunes as a free digital copy that accompanied the Blu-Ray disc. Original digital movies come with a menu like a DVD. Again, the iPad benefits from the intimacy of the device to deliver a superior viewing experience. The videos are crisp and the sound is great. It beats watching a movie on a smartphone or laptop. This is the first area I'd say the device has truly excelled vis-a-vis its targets. but it's not all perfect either. iPad, just like every other Apple mobile device, supports a limited range of formats. Movies have to be encoded in H.264 and be in a number of compatible formats like mp4, meaning you either have to convert your movies or stream them remotely, using a number of apps.

YouTube, was also limited on the iPad. Not all YouTube videos are available. The first video I searched for was Telephone by Lady Gaga and I quickly found all VEVO videos on YouTube that I searched for were unavailable. I then proceeded to use the browser instead to access youtube and hit the same roadblock. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I suspect a number of very popular videos may again be only available in Flash on YouTube. I'm confident that in the course of the year, this should change. VEVO will not dare miss out on the millions of iPad viewers. But as far as YouTube is concerned, the iPad still as some way to go before becoming the ultimate experience.

Maps:

I am perplexed as to what would make maps so important on a device of this size. Maps on the iPad is no doubt fun. The range of views and size make it a better map than what you have on smartphones. I find the practicality of the map questionable however. The map on the iphone is useful. I've used it to chat walk routes through unfamiliar areas (I found my way from West End to Stratford via Liverpool Street, using the iPhone maps app, the very first time I made that journey on foot). I do not see many people whipping out a tablet to find their way around when they can do just that with their iPhone. At best perhaps it would be more useful in a car without GPS, where you can stop every now and then to view your iPad like a paper map. However, I suspect the only practical application is virtual exploration, using street view. I would however say that the quality of location identification on the iPad is better than that on the iPhone. Is the iPad the best device for maps? Well, it has the best interface and it's fun. It is definitely better than a browser based map on a notebook, but it can't replace the maps application on a smartphone for functionality.

Photos:

This, undoubtedly, is one area where the iPad truly excels and thumps any other device. I can confidently say the iPad is the best digital photo album I've seen. It holds like a photo album in one's hands. The image quality is brilliant. Navigation is great with the way albums are manipulated with pinch gestures for instance. With proper geotagging, face tagging etc, photos can be sorted by who is in the picture, location etc. Does the iPad deliver as the ultimate photo viewing experience, compared to notebooks and smartphones. Yes!

Music:

What's the use of a music device of this size? What could it possibly offer to beat the portability of an iPhone and control of a MacBook? Very little. This is the iPad's music offering: it's a Saturday afternoon, you're viewing stunning pictures on the Guardian Eyewitness app, relaxed, legs crossed, perched on the table. You might as well enjoy some good music. This is clearly not a device for listening to music on the go, but enjoying a relaxing time at home. Not necessarily seated in front of a computer or having a noisy, hot 5 pound machine on your laps. The iPod app is markedly different and it actually took me a few seconds to find a few functions. I dare say this was one app that felt a tad bit less intuitive at first. Unlike the iPod on other mobile devices however, the iPod on the iPad allows greater control of your music. You can easily create and edit play lists like in the iTunes program. The iPod is a nice complement but not a core function in this device and it works well in that capacity.

Reading:

This is undoubtedly the greatest forte and raison d'être of the device. I have a large collection of ebooks. I however hate reading them on a notebook. The screen angle on a notebook is unnatural for reading and makes the experience stressful. That the iPad can be held like a book or perched on a table or one's laps like one is a big advantage. My main concern is the impact of staring a a backlit screen for extended periods. This would be one key advantage of a Kindle over the iPad. This is less of a concern in daylight. At night, it can however be a little disconcerting. Fortunately, the screen brightness is easily managed. Applications like GoodReader can also add light filters to dim the screen appropriately to view the screen more comfortably at night. In all, it has been a fantastic experience reading about 100 pages thus far on the device. Unlike the Kindle, the iPad delivers rich and vivid colour images. Further extending the functionality of the device is the broad range of e-magazines and newspapers that have emerged on the iPad. In the long run, I would bet on the iPad giving a new breadth of life to the print media that has been in decline. It appears that papers are enthusiastic and have fully embraced the device as the way to the future. On the whole, i believe the iPad has delivered its promise as a great device for reading and I can imagine it will get better with development of a new screen in the future that can be just as brilliant with natural lighting... That may however be 5 iPads away.

Gaming:

The iPhone is a great gaming device, despite limited real estate in screen space and resolution. The iPad takes away both limitations making it a fantastic gaming device but at the price of being heavier. Racing games are fantastic. RealRacing HD is pretty good. I find that the weight implications force me to support my elbows when using the device for that purpose. This is not a device for playing games for hours, but it excels for short games played intermittently amongst doing other things. I will score the iPad highly as a device for this purpose.

Documents on-the-go:

This entire review was typed in the standard Notes app, which is great. It does not have the level of formatting control that you will get with Office or OpenOffice. However, it has an attractive interface and is more than sufficient for basic text. For more serious work, there is the iWork suite, comprising Pages (Word), Numbers (Spreadsheet) and Keynote (Presentation). These are all compatible (for the most part) with Office files. They are fully functional and give full control to manipulating documents and adding touch as an input method gives even greater and easier control than a mouse. I am truly impressed with the power of these tools. I admit that it is probably a little weary to type 10,000 words with a touch keyboard (though not as bad as you might originally think). If you have a dissertation to work on, you might consider a Bluetooth keyboard that is easier on your fingers. But again, I must point out one limitation that attachments pose. Files created on iWork can be downloaded to your computer or uploaded to iWork.com. This however creates an unnecessary extra step when working on the go, especially if you are collaborating. When it is easier to simply email bits and pieces amongst collaborators who don't necessarily use iWork. Nonetheless, i would score the iPad as above average for documents on the go for the sheer brilliance of iWork for iPad. In addition, there is s great app called penultimate. using a capacitive touch pen, you can jot notes on the iPad with the same accuracy as a pen on paper.

Thus far, the iPad has excelled at some of it's functions and been underwhelming at others. As it is now, it is not the ultimate media consumption device that could be and far from compelling. It is no slouch either. The app store creates one huge opportunity for the device. Developers will find ingenious ways to apply this technology and as the store grows and new apps are developed, it will undoubtedly become a fantastic device to have that truly justifies its existence. Already, there've been a few great applications like Brushes used to create stunning art work, epicurious, the ultimate smart cookbook etc. I am convinced this device will find many uses in time and should then be worth it's price tag and more.

The technology itself should improve. I am satisfied with the speed of the device so I don't think the limited memory is a problem. I would like to see a permanent solution to flash, multitasking (I actually didn't discuss this much because I found it wasn't as much of a hinderance as I originally anticipated), a better file management system and wireless syncing with iTunes for starters.

By creating the iPad, Apple seeks to redraw the computing landscape by creating the new category of the media consumption device. What does this hold for the future of computing? I do not know. I however have a few ideas. 5 years ago, in the wake of the conceptualization of 4G networks (WiMax et al), I saw the potential for the end of traditional computing concepts where we tried to ram as much power into individual devices. I was willing to bet we would never get to the point where notebooks packed 32GB of RAM and 10TB of hard drive space, despite the exponential growth of specifications in that era. What I saw instead was a reversal to the ideals of a thin clients linked to powerful servers that ran heavy duty programmes and transmitted 'output' to client devices over the network with these devices having much subdued power but becoming even more capable. This was before the iPhone and the world of mobile apps and cloud computing as it is called today.

I suspect Apple is trying to define the computing landscape as comprising Cloud Holding/Computing Services, Personal Media Consumption Devices, Home Hubs that will interact with all your household peripherals and manage your PMCDs, Productivity Devices, Pocket Devices and maybe even Communal Media Consumption Devices. I am curious to see if/when Mobile Me is expanded to offer a greater semblance to full scale cloud computing, MacBooks are further differentiated as devices for CREATING media, the Mac Mini morphs into some kind of hub to run everything in your home, iMacs are marketed more as devices people can gather around to enjoy media together (40" 3D LED Mac?). Of course this is just a theory. What we can hold on to now is that Apple has indeed moved to define the new market category of the Personal Media Consumption Device. The iPad as it is, does not make the perfect device for that purpose, but it roundly succeeds as a proof of concept in that regard and clearly holds the potential to meet that objective in good enough time.

ceiph

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
As an audiophile, I am very particular about the quality of sound reproduction, especially in the sound range of string instrumentals. While I could be more thorough in the description of various aspects of the sound quality, I find that the most intuitive way to describe the sound quality is to compare it to what one would expect from a range of devices, the lowest 'score' being comparable to a mobile phone's speaker, then net book speakers, all the way to Bose Surround Sound Home theatres.

fail....

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Hey OP, how about betting your big iPod that the next one has a front facing camera. Since it will for sure, you wanna just mail your iPad to me now?

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
hey obamtl - How long did it take to write that? Was the goal to make it so long that nobody would read it? Because I sure didn't.

Liam8

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Amen wish everyone would read this thread. I can't even use an iPod touch or iphone anymore because the app icons are too small and sooooooo close together. It bugs me soooo much

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
I have a Touch (my second and I love it) and I got an iPad a couple of weeks ago. The form factor of the iPad just lends itself to different things.

I like both devices, but I've found myself a little disappointed in the iPad. I have Pages and can type fairly well and have written a fair amount on it, but I have to go through iWorks.com to be able to do anything with the document. I can't print it. I can't export it as a Word doc (when I need to) and send it to someone else. Apple made a device and software that lets me create a very nice document, but then I have to jump through stupid hoops to do anything with it. Sending it to iWorks just seems like a solution that's beneath what Apple would normally do.

EMail is fine. Not great, but quite usable...but why can't I create a new folder to save and organize my email in?

I keep finding things that I just expect to be there but aren't. Don't get me wrong... I like my iPad and I'll keep it. I'm not trying to trash Apple. The thread is that the iPad isn't a big Touch. The biggest difference for me was my expectations.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well to be honest with you your take on the features that are lacking sound more like justifications you've just made up to keep yourself happy.. but hey, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

I personally think the iPad would have been more useful to me if it included all the stuff that's missing (Flash support, webcam, usb port), but maybe there are some good reasons behind it. hopefully so. regardless, i'm very happy with mine as well :)

PC tablets some of those "features" for years, but no one wants PC tablets.

The problem is after including all those things, not only is the end result thick and heavy, they had to use cheap parts to keep price under check:
- slow processor
- cheap touchscreen
- low battery life
- no touch optimized interface (hey but we got a list of features that barely work)

Only the clueless want flash on mobile devices. Heard of JooJoo the Flash tablet? Why don't you buy it because it has Flash?

Did you type this on the iPad? How many days did it take you?

Not sure about him but the iPad's horizontal keyboard is actually fine for touch type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.