iPad jailbreak coming?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by GadgetX, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GadgetX macrumors regular

http://www.pmptoday.com/2010/03/17/greenpois0n-ipad-jailbreak-in-the-works/

Can't wait to see what developers can come up with for a jailbroken iPad! I would love Divx support and some way to import movies from a portable hard drive with the camera connection kit (assuming you can't already). What do you guys want to see?

Oh and assuming the same iphone jailbroken apps will work on the iPad everyone bitching about multitasking will be happy.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The Chronic Dev Team? Aren't they the people who promised an untethered jailbreak for the 3rd gen iPod touch and the iPhone 3GS with the new bootrom, said they'd have it by the end of 2009? I still haven't heard that they ever delivered on the untethered jailbreak, and I'm very skeptical if they would deliver on a jailbreak for the iPad.

3. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Ive totally mentioned jail breaking for the ipad in an earlier post before.... and im SUPER excited for the idea of multitasking. I have a iPad nano (ipod touch, roflmao) and its JB, and I use ProSwitcher along side Backgrounder, and its amazing. I love it.. works wonders, and i can only imagine what its gonna be like on the ipad.

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'm definitely interested in what the dev team has in-store.

5. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I agree, it's a whole new world. I love it when creative minds step outside of the box. I don't think I ever JB an iPhone because I did not want to pay for apps, I simply love the different features they came up with. I'm excited.

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I dont think it is going to be an easy JB. New OS version, new chipset entirely not to mention all the undocumented security features Apple is sure to have baked into their 'custom' chip.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've had to reluctantly enter the world of DFU mode in an attempt to recover a bricked iPod Touch. Who knew it was this easy? I guess somebody has to try to throw an iPad into DFU mode early on April 3rd and get back to us on whether they succeed!

And yes, I'm sure Apple baked something into that new chip of theirs to make jailbreaking either more difficult or perhaps remotely reversible.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

they released the tethered jb and if you had the new 3gs a full jb. they also said they will hold the new bootrom one till the iphone 4g cause the ipods had a tethered jb.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Where did they say any of that? Their blog (http://chronic-dev.org/blog/) hasn't been updated since November.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

you know blackra1n and redsn0w? they use chronic devs iboot exploit.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I know they do. However, that's not what I said. I said Chronic Dev promised an untethered jailbreak for all iDevices, and they didn't deliver.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

yes but they also had a survey on the site or somewhere asking if everyone wants to wait or not. idk what the results are but what ever.

13. MattWylde macrumors regular

I'll never download or use any JB software that Chronic Dev releases. If you don't remember, they almost ruined blackra1n for everyone by releasing the exploit on wikipedia. They were a hoax, and they were never coming out with an untethered jailbreak for the ipod touch 3G or new 3GS's. They simply want you to click on their blog site, or follow them on twitter, etc, so that they get money from the advertising firms. If GeoHot or Dev Team doesn't release the jailbreak tool, I wouldn't trust it. The Dev Teams blog warns you about scammers like this.

I'd love a JB iPad. I just don't think it's going to happen for quite a while. Some devices have excellent security features....look at the PS3. It's been out for years now and just recently has GeoHot hacked it so that it can run homebrew. To this date, no homebrew for the PS3 is available. Apple has lost a large sum of money to the jailbreak community. I ensure you that they are doing what they can to eliminate jailbreaking altogether.

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

that exploit, geohot didnt find, that was from chronic. he gave it to geohot.

15. Lara F macrumors 6502a

If you can live with the iPad as is, fine - but I'd be very hesitant on counting on a jailbreak for multitasking or unauthorized file types etc. Hopefully they do find an exploit but that remains to be seen.

But if one does become available it'll likely be to your benefit to purchase the iPad ASAP before Apple closes the loophole.

16. MattWylde macrumors regular

There is much debate over who found that exploit first. Either way, Chronic has never came through on anything they've said. You can do as you wish, but I'll hold on until the Dev Team comes up with something legit.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

um the devteam and geohot both said it over twitter and is on the iphone wiki.

18. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

As much as I love the iPhone Hacking community, I feel it's probably best not to get caught up in a tiny squabble of "who did what when."

That being said, I don't care who delivers the goods, as long as the goods are good. If you know what I mean.

19. GadgetX thread starter macrumors regular

+1
    If I knew that this was going to turn into a debate between "who came up with x exploit/jailbreak first" I wouldn't have posted it. I wanted to see what jailbroken apps you guys thought would make an awesome addition to the iPad. If I wanted to know who came up with the most recent exploit I would've asked :D

But anyways... I see a lot of potential coming out of a jailbroken iPad, I really could care less who comes out with it as long as it comes out! And if it doesn't, oh well, i still think the iPad will be amazing

20. gazzamac macrumors member

Perhaps you should get in touch with them and offer your assistance....

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The only reason I brought this up is that the article linked in the OP stated that the Chronic Dev Team is asking for donations. I thought people should be aware of their track record before they decide whether or not to donate.

22. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I know nothing about the scene, but the blog was very "give us your money but don't whine or ask us when we will release, if you whine too much we'll hold off releasing longer, no of course not, just kidding we wouldn't do that."

23. mekopolis macrumors regular

never actually JB my 1G ipod, thought about it multiple times
    and the thought has come up with my ipad as well

one disadvantage would be the battery swap out,

if your battery fails and or has a diminished state, Apple will give you a brand new refurbished ipad for $99, as long as you have not violated the TOS, i.e jailbroken the device..

that isn't such a bad plan

so I am still on the fence for JBing it, and that plan makes me not want to, because no one knows how many years the battery will last?

24. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Is it not possible to restore a jailbroken device to factory defaults?

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup. I've had two jailbroken iPod touches that had to be swapped out -- one had a screen failure and the other had a bad battery. Both times, I just restored before I took them in, and got them swapped with refurbs w/o any problems.