Ipad? Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by masparkah, Aug 14, 2011.

1. masparkah macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!!! Thinking of buying an ebook reader for my cousin so I looked at getting a Kindle and an IPad. Then I read http://thekindlereview.net and now I just dont know. I know this is a apple forum but does anybody have both?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Get an iPad. Amazon makes a Kindle app for iOS anyway, unless price is an issue for you.

3. kalex macrumors 65816

I have both. For reading books I prefer Kindle. Anything else - ipad.

4. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

If you truly just want an ebook reader, go for the kindle. If reading is secondary, go for the ipad because there's tons more to use it for.

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have both. I prefer the Kindle for reading. Especially for long periods of time because it is much lighter and easier to hold. It really doesnt take long for the ipad to start feeling pretty heavy. I have a PowerSupport anti-glare screen protector on my iPad and although good it still is not as good outside or in bright light as the Kindle.

I suppose it depends on reading habits.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have both. For reading, Kindle is king.

Since you are making this purchase as a gift, if your cousin really is looking for a reading device, save yourself some money and buy the Kindle.

But, if money doesn't matter and your cousin wants a multipurpose device, go with iPad.

And by the way, you are a good cousin. Mine wouldn't buy me squat.

7. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

Kindle is easier on eyes for long reading, I use it for books. I use iPad for tech PDFs.

BTW, Amazon will be releasing new Kindles (most likely based on Android) this fall with touch screen and apps. Also, B&N Nook Color is a decent cheap alternative ($250 with Wi-Fi) at the moment - it also has Nook Apps (email, games, etc).

8. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Wife has the Kindle. I have the iPad. She loves the Kindle for all the reasons noted in other posts, e.g. reading outside, portability, weight, etc. I read periodicals more than she does and appreciate the iPad's features for that reason. Some people find the iPad's back lighting is an eye strainer but I haven't noticed the problem as long as I choose the "sepia" option for page backgrounds. (Though there's no question that the Kindle does a better job of emulating true paper/ink.)

The odd man out in all this, I think, is the Kindle DX (the super Kindle). Its size eliminates the advantage of the Kindle over the iPad in terms of portability and weight, and increases the price of the Kindle. Once you get to that point, a true tablet is, imo, a better choice.

10. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Like others I have both. The Kindle is used for hiking and backpacking trips; otherwise, the iPad gets the bulk of the work.:)

11. kant, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

kant macrumors 6502

iPad all the way

I went with the ipad wifi after trying both a kindle and a BN Nook. (Kindle == borrowed from sister; Nook == bought from WalMart and took it back a week later.)

My major use is reading books. I'm disabled and read 6+ hours per day. I find the ipad does wash out a bit in direct sunlight but is still readable with the background set to sepia as mentioned above. Battery life is usually good but I've noticed that some days it drains faster than others for no reason that I've discovered yet. I.e. doesn't seem to be tied to net usage. Weight is less than most non fiction hardcovers so isn't really an issue for me. Being able to do quick searches for maps, definitons, wikipedia articles, etc has enriched the reading experience for me dramatically.

The nook, being paperback sized, does fit in a back pocket or jacket pocket which can be nice, but I was very annoyed with the battery life; the one I tried consistently turned off at 10%. And wasn't much to write home about to begin with.

Kindle. B&W. Nice for reading. Cheaper. But B&W.

As always ymmv especially since it's not for your own use, but for myself the ipad is worth the extra money even just for reading and reading related web browsing. The "this is almost the computer the speculative fiction authors have been promising me for 40 years" stuff is just the icing on the cake.

12. andrewappleinc macrumors newbie

iPad or Kindle?

I have used both and definitely Kindle is easier on the eyes. But the iPad is a more fun device that you cousin would probably use a lot more. The kindle app for iPad gives all the books that the kindle offers on the iPad, it just depends if he gets sick by reading by backlight.

-Andrew:apple:

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

14. ninerfan macrumors regular

Love love love reading on my iPad 2. Have tried the Kindle and the Nook. Hated them both. I use the Kindle app, and Overdrive Media for library books. Plus, the iPad does a trillion more things :). It is all a matter of personal taste and your cousin will have to be the one to make that decision. Kudos for being such a great cousin :)