Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest numbers from market research firm IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker show that Apple remains the largest vendor in a declining tablet market, shipping 10.9 million iPads in the second quarter of 2015. While the iPad continues to be the best-selling tablet, its worldwide market share fell below 25% as Apple faced increased competition from low-cost rivals Lenovo, Huawei and LG.

idc_tablet_trend_2q15-800x417.jpg

Samsung continued to be the second largest tablet vendor with 7.6 million tablets shipped in the second quarter and 17% market share, a 12% year-over-year unit decline. Lenovo, Huawei and LG Electronics rounded off the top five, with 2.5 million, 1.6 million and 1.6 million global tablet shipments in the second quarter respectively. All other tablet vendors had a combined 45.6% market share.

IDC-Q215-Tablets.jpg

iPad sales have declined for six consecutive quarters year-over-year in what has become a stagnated tablet market over the past few years, but that trend could be broken in a few months as Apple is expected to release up to three new iPads in time for the holiday shopping season: iPad Air 3, iPad mini 4 and the much-rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" targeted at professional and enterprise users.

Article Link: iPad Market Share Falls Below 25% as Tablet Market Continues to Decline

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think we're coming to see that tablets are a lot like PCs in regards to how often they will be upgraded by users. They had the large initial boom of sales to get them into the market, now people are just keeping what they have since it's good enough. The iPad 2 still gets the job done for most people and most businesses who purchase them in bulk are also still using iPad 2s. No reason to get a newer model.

In fact I think tablets will be upgraded even less often than PCs going forward as they are the least essential device between computers, smartphones, and tablets.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
i thought tablets were the future and would replace laptops?

lol mo-rons

People say stuff like this all the time. I remember when someone told me we wouldn't be able to buy desktops anymore because laptops would replace them completely. Then it was the same with tablets. And while some people have replaced their desktops with laptops or their laptops with tablets, it is never on the scale that the analysts say it will be. They are different tools.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I'm telling Ya, if Apple wants to revitalize this market....all they have to do is rebrand the iPod touch as an iPad nano, offer it in 4.7 and 5.5" sizes and add cellular data just like an iPad. Boom. There it is. Sales would sore. Problem solved. Thank you Apple. :p

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
For basic home use, tablets are fine - email, light word processing, web browsing, casual game playing.. for more serious work, they just aren't there yet. In many cases - not all - especially iPad - the apps are cut down versions of their desktop counterparts.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

lol mo-rons

Well, I rarely use my personal laptop anymore (not counting using my work one @ work). And if I need to do something more engaging than what I can do on my iPhone, I use my iPad.

Previously it would be like 5 years before I'd buy a new laptop if that. My first iPad was the air 2 and I don't really see a reason to upgrade for a few years if that. Apple is a victim of their own quality. Plus the tablet is more like a laptop - people don't upgrade it every year.

Just my 2 cents.

noty

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
I just think that people won't update their tablets as often as phones. I use my 3rd gen iPad everyday and it works perfectly fine for what I use it for. Though with the multitasking features of iOS 9, I think this will be the year I finally upgrade.

baw578

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
I have an iPad 2 64gb. I hope Apple realizes the reason why I, and some others, haven't bought another one is my iPad still works great. I don't think people need the new items on an iPad as much as on a phone. I bought a iPhone 4s then iPhone 5 and I am still using the 5. They make good hardware and most people aren't going to buy the new item unless it is needed.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I still have a first generation Retina Mini 128GB LTE model. I have no desire to upgrade it and don't plan on doing so even when new iPads come out.

I actually stopped using it when I bought my 2015 15" retina MBP.

Reactions: Ulisescm

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Unlike iPhones, people tend to hold onto their ipads for a long time. I think this is why Apple from the beginning has crippled the ipads with pathetic ram, to make sure people are forced to update more often. If apps don't run, then the only answer is to upgrade.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

lol mo-rons

They are or will be if you see the total volumes and compare them to the ones of e.g. laptops. At least when you take the private sector into account. Business is something different and here no such prediction was made.

Secondly, people just don't replace them as fast as other iOS products especially like the iPhone, whose growth rates are mainly used for comparison.

Reactions: Gasu E.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If iPads get first party pen support, I will instantly buy an iPad again. I am hopeful for the future of iPad since Apple announced some awesome iOS 9 multitasking features for the iPad. I guess a little dip in sales gave Apple some much needed motivation.

On a side note, the iPad needs to get every new iPhone feature so it feels new and desirable. Why does features like touch ID come a year too late. For example, the current iPad should have the same curved glass as the iPhone 6, it should have the same dual tone flash, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.