All iPads iPad Mini 2 Or iPad 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmillar74, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

Just sold my iPad 3... although it got heavy at times holding it for long periods of time, I really liked it. If the mini 2 comes out with retina, I'm considering getting that over the iPad 5. I love the 9.7" screen though. Any thoughts or regrets on people who got the smaller screen on the past mini? I'm talking screen size for reading/browsing etc... Not the fact that one has retina and one doesn't.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Personally, I had intended on selling my 3 to cover most of the cost of a mini 2. That's out the window now but I would say a mini would be great. I like the form factor personally.

3. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The screen sizes are substantially different. If you want portability, the Mini is great. If you want a tablet that offers a larger display, the iPad 5 will be great. I often carry my Mini in the front pocket of my slacks (not jeans :D) ), so while the iPad 5 will likely loose some weight and side bezel, it still won't be as easy to tote around.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Reading and browsing are fine on the mini. Watching videos would be better on the full size iPad.

Maybe you just need to go in to a store and handle both. (Once they are in stores of course.)

5. tyche macrumors 6502

I would say where you use it the most is a big factor. I use my tablet 100% at home and enjoy the large screen size and find it comfortable to have on my lap or sitting on the table to read.

If I had long commutes say on the bus or train, a mini would be a high choice option.

6. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

7. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

great idea! maybe they don't have the time since they are investing in diamond mines!

8. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

RAPTORSKI

I would certainly prefer an iPad 5, especially coming from an iPad 3. The mini 2 is for people who need that smaller screen size, lighter weight, etc. Can't wait for October 22nd.

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

Very simple decision tree for me:

If the iPad Mini 2 has a 64-bit CPU and Retina display, don't walk, run to buy it.

If not...

iPad 5

10. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I sold my OG mini for a Nexus 7 due to resolution. I plan to get the mini 2 on launch day if it has retina. The like the 4:3 ratio better than 16:9

11. mfr1340 macrumors regular

Buy both

I sold my nexus 7 two weekends ago at my garage sale for $125.00 and my ipod nano 6th gen for $125.00. I allready have the money saved up for the ipad5 since I returned my ipad4 after it was replaced by best Buy (and never opened) because it wouldn't turn on when it was about 6 months old. So I have been waiting for the 5 to come out. I have been using the mini and love the size, but I need the full size to do all the web surfing that I do at home. I just found out about eCycle Best and they offered me $429.00 for my 64gig wifi mini. I jumped on it. Gazell only ofered me $225.00 for my mini. Now I can get both (top of the line ones) because I always get the highest storage models. :)

12. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I've sold my Mini and am waiting (impatiently) for Oct. 22 to see exactly what is introduced. I'm on the fence between buying a Mini 2 (IF it's retina) or an iPad 5. I've had an iPad 1, 2, 3, and the Mini. The Mini is great for reading books and carrying around anywhere. It's not as good for reading magazines (such as on Zinio) and general web surfing. A retina screen would help, but magazine text and some web text is still going to be pretty tiny without constantly enlarging it. The larger iPad 5 would work much better in those situations for me, but it wouldn't be as easy to hand-hold while reading books, etc., although the slimmer and lighter form factor may help with that. So I guess I'll just wait and see what's released next week and make my decision then.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

14. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

i had the ipad 3 and then bought the mini. even though it was not retina. i sold my ipad 3 and never looked back. . i love my mini because it so light and portable and i dont miss the larger screen at all. I have had every ipad out except the ipad 4 and i will upgrade to the new mini once it is released. I thought i would really miss the larger screen when i switched to the mini, but i never regretted it and never looked back. mini 2 all the way!!

15. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

I'm undecided just now. I my iPad 2 which I absolutely loved great screen size but a little heavy side after long use.

I'm not sure if I do go with the mini I'll miss the large screen size.

Decisions, decisions

16. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

I have a Nexus 7, and the small screen size doesn't work for me, except for occasional use for ebooks. 10" screen size is much better for me, and a full-size iPad fits in my purse. (So does the Surface Pro)

It's either iPad 5, or skip this upgrade cycle.

17. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

I think I'm looking forward to when the tech spec page for each goes live on apple.com more than the actual event lol.

18. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'll be stepping from an iPad 3 to a Mini 2 due mostly to form factor and portability.

With that said, I bet the reduced dimensions and weight of the iPad 5 will have some second-guessing their decision.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

When Apple starts selling them, try both out to see which one you like.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm in the same boat. I've gone from the original iPad to the iPad 2 and now the iPad 3. I skipped the iPad 4 and have not owned or even tried out an iPad Mini. My main issue with the regular sized iPads is the weight and to a certain extent the size. It does feel heavy after a while especially when holding it while lying on my bed or on the bus/train. An iPad Mini would be more practical but I think I would miss the screen size of the regular iPad.

It does depend to a great extent on the specs though and of the iPad 5 is more powerful and offers a 128GB model which it will most likely then I will probably go for that. I want to upgrade from 64GB to 128GB and want the most powerful model. Also it depends if either or both models will get finger print ID sensor or not. I've got use to that on my iPhone 5S and that would also be a swaying factor. It might be a tough decision. I think I need to go into a store and play around with the current iPad Mini.

21. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I have had both a mini and a regular iPad. Both are great and work well. For me, it boils down to this. If you type a lot in landscape, go full size iPad. The keyboard in landscape on the mini is just a tad too narrow.

If you do not, I'd get the mini. The size cannot beat.

22. Rafterman macrumors 68000

You carry a Mini in your slacks? What do you wear, clown pants? Good grief.

:D

23. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I don't carry it my pants all day (Dockers). I'll toss it in while walking to the car and carrying something else in my hand, etc, but it doesn't reside their all day like my wallet. :D

24. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I think I will go with the iPad 5 since it has the awesome design like the iPad mini :)

I prefer a bigger screen but I need to see a retina display mini in person first. It's definitely a hard decision :)
    But if only the iPad 5 gets a Touch ID, I'd go with the iPad 5 without questions!

25. Macalway macrumors 68000

Not even a question for me. The iPad has replaced everything, so the Mini would not work, exactly. So it's the big 5.0 for me.

I would and might, get a Mini 2 as an iPad replacement. You know, a second computer for mobility, so I don't need to lug around an iPad. :D