All iPads iPad Mini 2 won't get Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by piriawan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. piriawan macrumors newbie

stumbled upon this article at www.gsmarena.com, saying that the iPad mini 2 won't get the Touch ID

wondering why this piece of rumor still doesn't show up in macrumors until now, what do you think? will it affect your buying decision once it got official?

2. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Seems possible - give the Mini a retina display, but keep a few things back for the full ipad. Plus it means they don't necessarily need the A7 chip in the Mini..

3. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised. I doubt the iPad Mini will be bumped up to an A7 chip from an A5 chip, so that means no fingerprint sensor. Sad day for you. At least the iPad 5 will probably get it since that's what I was planning on buying anyway.

4. rovex macrumors 65816

That's wrong.

The second pic is the mini 2 and the first is the mini 1. The second pic clearly has the touch Id button

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Don't expect Touch ID on the iPad Mini. Maybe the ipad 5 will have it, but probably not.
    The iPad Mini will have the specs of the iPad 4, nothing more than that.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You assume this article is legit. It might not be.

Then again even if it is, right now the whole Touch ID is a wank spec, bit of fluff. There are so many more important specs for the Mini that would trump the addition or not of the touch sensor. I suspect the geeks will freak if it's not included but the other 99.9% won't care.

----------

Actually, and it would be a smart move, Apple might align the two models to the same chips etc. The whole A7/M7 would make the Mini a more viable game machine and the efficiency of the A7 might be needed to put a better screen in the Mini without loss of battery life.

As for the Touch ID, it might be missing due to physical size issues rather than processor

7. sim0n macrumors member

I would guess that iPad 5 will get the A7 and finger print scanner while the iPad mini 2 gets the A6X with retina screen and no finger print scanner

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

This won't happen for 349$. Don't forget the iPad Mini uses the components of the one year old iPad.

9. charlituna, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Unless you work for Apple you can't say that. You have no knowledge of part costs etc. For all you know, Apple got an amazing deal on those chipsets because they are ordering millions for three devices.

Apple did the same 'old' parts in the first iPad, which was an untested item. Means little to nothing in regards to what they might do next

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Probably because Macrumors reports rumours from credible resources.

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Ok, I guess we will see. Wanna bet?

12. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

tbh its no real loss if it doesent have touch id as right now there isnt a lot to use it with. give it 12 months and Apple adds now features to it then the mk3 will be out and will probably include it, until then they will just keep it as a feature to help sell the regular iPad

13. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I don't really know anything about the supply chain, but I do believe that the touch ID sensor is not easily produced, causing supplies of 5s to be constrained. Unless they are holding back touch ID components from the iPhone for future iPads, which I highly doubt, they would be looking at jamming up their launch of the new iPads if it/they were equipped with touch ID. Most likely they will use the 5s as the metric for how well it works, improvements, etc. I won't even be surprised if the touch ID remains a top tier function, i.e. next year the new 5c doesn't get it.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The Touch ID relies on the A7 processor. Putting the A7 chip in the iPad Mini would make the product much more expensive and Apple won't do it.

15. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

There is that, as well. Good point. People can hope for it, but if I was a bookie I wouldn't give good odds it happens. Heck, I wouldn't place any odds it doesn't.

16. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I think you're right. I tend to think that the mini will have A7 and touch ID... even if they have to raise the price. Consistency for developers and customers all of the new devices.

17. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

It makes no sense for Apple not to go with the A7 in the new mini. Roughly the same gpu power of the A6X but a stronger CPU core and more power efficient while moving another product line onto 64bit capable.

18. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

You don't really expect an iPad Mini with Retina display and Touch ID, do you? There is no way it can happen at this price segment!

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Nope, I don't expect the new mini to have touch id but that doesn't mean it won't have the A7. While touch id does require the A7, the A7 doesn't require touch id. They are not mutually exclusive.

20. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

No they are not but still I don't expect anything better than an A6 on the iPad Mini.

21. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

22. MLAM macrumors regular

Personally I think if they put in TouchID and Retina for the iPad mini it leaves no real incentive to get the iPad 5.

I'm thinking it will be one or the other for the mini but the iPad 5 will get TouchID

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Lol at the ignorance

24. bobright macrumors 601

LOL sheesh

----------

How so that that new iPad shell could be fake for all we know

25. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Apple should equip the new iPad mini with all the bells and whistles. Not everyone wants a bulky iPad.