Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veidar45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Hello, when comparing the features of both iPad mini 2 & 4, I noticed that the main difference is the quality of the camera (apart from the CPU, of course). Considering I don't care about camera, is it more worth getting iPad mini 2 rather than 4?

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I have two Mini's 2 a few years now for my kids. The mini's are still going strong on iOS 9.3.5. If I were in your shoes though at this point in time I'd go for the 4. That has double the Ram (2gb) and a much quicker processor and will outlast the 2 by far. A much better return in your investment.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Personally I wouldn't especially at this point. I would not even get a 4 at this point as new iPads could be a month away. Even if there in Spring that's like 4 months which in tech time isn't a lot. If you don't need it rn just wait for the Mini 5

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Wait until we get closer to the holiday sales if you can. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 32GB iPad mini 2 go for $199 or so around Black Friday.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
iPad mini 2 owners here on iOS 10. Very happy as is does everything I want to do which is mainly web browsing.

veidar45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I have two Mini's 2 a few years now for my kids. The mini's are still going strong on iOS 9.3.5. If I were in your shoes though at this point in time I'd go for the 4. That has double the Ram (2gb) and a much quicker processor and will outlast the 2 by far. A much better return in your investment.

That's true, but if we're talking about investment the mini 4 has the same price as the Air 2, so if the Mini 2 is really not worth it I might go for Air 2.

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
That's true, but if we're talking about investment the mini 4 has the same price as the Air 2, so if the Mini 2 is really not worth it I might go for Air 2.
The Air 2 is the best option you can get one cheap and its still very fast I have one, my parents have a mini 2 and it lags and feels sluggish its screen also looks bad colour wise.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Air 2 is the best option you can get one cheap and its still very fast I have one, my parents have a mini 2 and it lags and feels sluggish its screen also looks bad colour wise.

My Air 2 is blazing fast. I don't have a whole lot of applications, but it's never lagged on me. And it's so weightless in carrying as well.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
My Air 2 is blazing fast. I don't have a whole lot of applications, but it's never lagged on me. And it's so weightless in carrying as well.
I'm still amazed how much power they gave this while making it thinner then a pencil and lighter too. iOS 10 doesn't lag any either so that is nice. I wonder if iOS 11 will be a lot slower?

Reactions: 44267547

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
At $209 for the 16Gb mini 2 on the Apple refurbished store vs. $399 for the cheapest 32Gb mini 4 there is a clear price advantage, and the performance difference between the A7 and A8 chip isn't great in everyday use, but it would be nice to think there might be a mini 5 on its way so you might want to wait a couple of weeks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm still amazed how much power they gave this while making it thinner then a pencil and lighter too. iOS 10 doesn't lag any either so that is nice. I wonder if iOS 11 will be a lot slower?

It's been reported there will be an iPad refresh coming at the March 2017 Key Note. Possibly three size variants. Should be interesting. Long live the Air 2.

Reactions: gobikerider

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Hello, when comparing the features of both iPad mini 2 & 4, I noticed that the main difference is the quality of the camera (apart from the CPU, of course). Considering I don't care about camera, is it more worth getting iPad mini 2 rather than 4?
Once you have an iPad with a laminated display, you'll never go back.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The only reason the iPad mini 4 is so much better than previous iPad minis is the extra RAM. The camera isn't that much better. The processor isn't that much faster. But the additional RAM provides such a better experience.

Also thinner, lighter, and with a noticeably better (laminated) display.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Also thinner, lighter, and with a noticeably better (laminated) display.
The difference in depth, weight, and display quality are all marginal. There are plenty of things that are better on the iPad mini 4 than the iPad mini 2/3. I'm not denying that, but only thing that makes a real difference is the extra RAM in the iPad mini 4. That is the only thing keeping me from recommending anything but the iPad mini 4 to most people. That's the only reason I upgraded from an iPad mini 2 to an iPad mini 4. Everything else was just a bonus.

Reactions: craig1024

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The difference in depth, weight, and display quality are all marginal. There are plenty of things that are better on the iPad mini 4 than the iPad mini 2/3. I'm not denying that, but only thing that makes a real difference is the extra RAM in the iPad mini 4. That is the only thing keeping me from recommending anything but the iPad mini 4 to most people. That's the only reason I upgraded from an iPad mini 2 to an iPad mini 4. Everything else was just a bonus.

I feel that the display is a noteworthy improvement. When I use an older iPad one of the things that jumps out at me is how i can really tell that there's an extra layer of glass or whatever over the on-screen interface. It doesn't affect usability of course, and if you haven't used a model with a laminated display you wouldn't notice, but that combined with the thinness makes the Mini 4 much sleeker than the Mini 2/3. But again, I realize that this has nothing to do with functionality, so I agree that it's a bonus not a necessity.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Your original response made it sound like he was saying the Air 2 lags and you were arguing against it, not backing up his claim that it's smooth.

Go back and review @craig1024 posts, he edited his original post from AFTER I responded to him. Not disparaging against him, but I didn't understand his reply to me. And it wasn't an argument, it was an observation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.