iPad mini 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LouieSamman, Oct 26, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

My heads in the clouds with looking forward to the 2nd generation of the iPad mini. Why? Because of lack of retina display from this current model.

A lot of people are saying they are giving up their iPad 3 for the mini which is understandable for reasons they had put down.

I think the iPad 3 is a tablet we all want in size but I keep finding myself supporting one of my hands by using my other hand to hold the iPad after touching the screen.

Anyone here who is willing to get the iPad mini in replace of your current iPad but waiting for the Retina iPad mini?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There will be no retina mini next year. Too much battery and heat. Maybe in a few years. There is no need for a retina mini. All the iPad apps run on it now just fine.

3. Powrie macrumors 6502

There most certainly is a big reason for the Mini to have a Retina.

And that is the fact that the mini is an E-reader which is determined by its size.

The retina screen has a huge advantage for reading Text.

Technology is always advancing. And it will not take a "few years" before they upgrade. They are already working on making the components smaller so they will fit. The newer components will run cooler.

This is the way of tech.

4. Txjole macrumors member

reminds me of the Samsung commercial "will we get that next year?"

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I also don't believe there will be a retina mini next year, both because of power constraints and price, but also because Apple will want to retain some key differences between their top of the line and mini devices. I think it will be a couple of years before they can pack the current retina resolution into the 7.9" form factor, and Apple is showing every sign that they are serious about minimizing display fragmentation, so they aren't likely to use a lower resolution retina panel.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I'm with you. I suspect 3rd gen at best.

7. aznsmith macrumors newbie

i think there's a slight possibility for a retina display ipad mini at end of year 2013 with a transistor shrink but i'm thinking 3rd or 4th gen as well.

8. Hakone macrumors 6502a

I'm likely waiting for 2nd gen, BUT I want to check for it in store before I really decide. I don't want to speculate based on what's in black and white print.

I did just get the iP5 so it's hard to justify buying another iDevice anytime soon. :eek:

9. Jasonh85 macrumors newbie

why are we already discussing next product when the original aint even out yet?

Might as well talk about the Iphone10

All this speculation, what's the point

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I am "downgrading" to a Mini from my 3rd gen. Reasoning is that I pretty much only use my iPad for a few specific tasks now that would be better suited to the mini (reading, web browsing, chord charts) - for other things I have my 11.6" MBA which is just too close in size. I always end up either just taking the Air or taking both iPad and the Air.

There could be Retina next year, but I think it depends on how competitors respond to the Mini in the first place. The problem is that with a retina display they will need to move the mini up to the A5X/A6X line as it will have the same number of pixels as iPad 3/4. I guess next year iPad 5th gen could have an A7 and the iPad Mini A6X plus retina...but then you will essentially be paying a $170 premium to move to the larger screen. Which I guess is fair considering it is similar to the tiered size Macbook pricing.

11. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Agree with this. Don't see Apple going for another custom resolution and fragmenting iOS further.

12. Powrie macrumors 6502

Retina is not a custom resolution.

So what you said makes no difference.

When apple adds Retina for the mini it will work seamlessly.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The next mini will have a retina display. For the simple fact that there will be no other feature that would need upgrading, besides internals.

Apple is saying this is a scaled down iPad 2. We all know what came after iPad 2.

14. Powrie macrumors 6502

Welcome to MacRumors.

Iam here to help me decide if the mini is for me or if its just a device for kids.

My mini needs Retina.

But the kids will have a great Xmas this year.

15. TJ5921 macrumors regular

It's really a matter of when the next mini will drop. Some say March, some say October, but no one truly knows.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

When anyone says the following....

1. There will be no retina next year

2. There will be no ipad 3 upgrade

3. There will be no Mini iPad, period

4. There will not be an iPhone 5. It will just be called iPhone

I laugh out loud at those that post such dribble. Because we all know the above #2 & #3 & 4 came true. No one has a crystal ball as to what is coming next year. NO ONE

;)

----------

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Don't be too sure ZBoater. Sharp's IGZO is moving to larger screen and the power savings over aSI is considerable.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/17/sharp-aquos-pad-sht21-igzo-lcd/

18. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

There isn't a problem with battery or heat. Arm a15 chips run much more efficient and consume much less battery (suppose to be what the a6 is based on).

5" devices are coming out now with 1080p screens. thats 440+ PPI. The tech is here. In fact I bet apple have already produced and are testing ipad mini with retina now. They aren't waiting on us lol

19. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Apples A6 is not based on the ARM A15 it is a custom core that uses the same instruction set. That being said both designs are more power efficient than earlier ARM based SOC's

20. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Efficient screen and a stylus.
    I always get excited when I see a pointy stylus...

I think that the rapidly increasing competition will be good for those hoping to see Apple step up it's game a bit.

21. HKPDW macrumors member

Who knows, if Apple really applies themselves, they just might be able to shoe-horn the Retina display into a phone or something...

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You realize he resolution of the phone is nowhere near 2048x1536, right?

23. HKPDW macrumors member

No one cares as long as it's branded "Retina". Most of us know fitting a Retina display with an A5x chip into a Mini is not a tech issue but, rather a gross margins issue. "They" know they can spoon feed the fanboys a "condensed" IPad 2 (at a not so condensed price) then, six months later, release an enhanced "Mini "s" version to complete the spoon feeding cycle once more.

Fool me once...

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's not that easy. You can't just pick a resolution that qualifies as "retina" and stick it on the mini. It has to be 2048 or 1024 or you'll have 275000 apps in danger of not working right, or with black bands like on the iPhone 5. Not to say Apple couldn't fragment iOS some more, but I doubt it...

25. nStyle macrumors 6502a

I say who cares. Live with what is available. As The Verge has already said: it feels much better than any other 7" tablet they have came across. The Verge of course bleed Apple juice but they are still credible in my opinion.

As Z has already said, Apple did defend its decision to at least skip retina for now: fragmentation.