iPad Mini 4 - Hands on Video

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DJTaurus, Sep 10, 2015.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

First video i found... the screen colors gamut looks crystal clear and multitasking is at least DECENT and not gimmick. If the screen is fixed and 2gb's confirmed shut up and take my money!

2. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

+1 If the display issues have been addressed and 2GB is confirmed, the Mini 4 is tough to beat for a small tablet.

I picked up the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8 inch version last week. My first venture into Android. A great tablet for $350 (32 GB version after $50 Samsung promo offer). But, if the above two "issues" have been addressed for the Mini, I'll likely return the Samsung and grab the Mini 4.

The Samsung is a great tablet: small, light, gorgeous display, but IOS has Android beat in the apps department, especially apps optimized for tablets. Take the Android Facebook app. Photos look terrible on it, but great on the IOS version of Facebook. Amazon video is another example. Videos will only stream in SD on abdroid, but in HD on Amazon video for IOS.

If, however, it turns out the Mini 4 has only 1GB ram, I'll stick with the Samsung. There is no way I'm buying another Apple tablet with only 1GB ram.

3. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Agreed. I love the form factor. But I never got a mini because of the underwhelming specs. If the mini 4 has 2gb ram and fixed gamut, I'm in.

Thanks for the video.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I think this is a bigger deal with the iPad Pro. It's an Air but the mini size. That's crazy.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

thanx for the video! i'm excited to get mine! i wish they'd hurry up and ship it already!

i love the mini form!

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Can I ask, how do you find the battery life on the Galaxy Tab S2?

7. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Good question! The battery life is not terrible, but it's definitely what I would consider a "con" with the S2. It seems that Samsung made a trade off with battery life to achieve such a thin/light device. I'm kind of on the fence about this really. I love the thin, light form factor, even when combined with the Samsung book cover (which I love), the S2 is still wafer thin. However, I would like a bit more battery life....not sure you can have both though!

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Thanks for the insight. If you had to estimate, could you say about how many hours you get with light usage like web surfing and maybe a little bit of media?

9. TheRealAlex, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015

TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

AVOID the Mini 4

Why A8 CPU struggles to push 1920x1080 on the iphone 6 Plus thats why the 6 Plus is slower than the 6,

now you are asking it, to push 2048x1536 when it already has trouble with 1080p just saying

and if its 2GB RAM fine, Apple will support it with more features and iOS 10 but if its only 1GB RAM stay away.

Next years iPad Mini 5 will have 3D FOrce Touch and Apple Pencil Support

Why?

Because, my Note 5 has a 5.7 Inch OLED Display and a Stylus, it can do everything literally the iPad Pro does, drawing writting you name it. It has Haptic Feedback, and the Display can detect different levels of pressure.

So every Samsung Tablet next Year will have a Stylus and if the IPads don't support teh Apple pencil they simply won't sell.

Also the A9 CPU and A9X is such huge upgrade over the A8 Dual Core A9 is Tri Core

[MOD NOTE]
    Removed the Bold formatting as its annoying to members.

10. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Honesly, I've only had it for a week, so It's tough to quantify!. However, I've used the Mini original, Mini 2 and iPad original (in that order) for the past 3 years, and if I were pressed, I'd say you're losing a couple of hours of battery time with the S2....it's almost like you can see the battery level dropping as you using it......something I never focused on with the ipads!

Now to be fair, I'm new to Android, so I may have "inadvertently" turned on every power leak in Android!

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

If it has the fixed gamut and 2gb of RAM, yeah that would be a lot saner purchase than an iPad Pro. Thanks for posting the video OP.

I need something for my commute, I wouldn't mind a bigger screen especially for reading and some writing.

Arrgh. Decisions. I stink at making them when it comes to computers / portables lately.

12. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

lol i remember hoping that the first mini would be retina and that it would be priced sanely. It only took 4 generations to get it right...

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Thanks again. I'm interested in this tablet, but I have some concerns about battery life based on reviews I've read and seen.

14. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

my air 2 gets slow occasionally still, even with 2gb...

15. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

tempted by the mini purely for on the go as my air 2 is slightly too big for carrying around. want one on contract though

17. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I'm betting that Apple has changed the iPad Air and the mini to alternate annual cycles...meaning next year we will see a new iPad Air and in 2017, we'll see an iPad mini. There's a possibility of minor spec bumps, but I wouldn't put my money on that one.

I think the graphics will be better generationally speaking:
    iPad Mini 1: non-retina...fine
    iPad Mini 2: first retina(2048x1536)...struggles with slower processor (trend with all new retinas)
    iPad Mini 3: no CPU/GPU upgrade...slowness continues
    iPad Mini 4: first supportable graphics upgrade.

iPad 4 (first retina [2048x1536])(A6X): struggles
    iPad Air (A7): acceptable
    iPad Air 2 (A8X): rocks!

Since both the iPad and the mini push the same pixels, their performance lineup should be this way (best to worst):
    iPad Air 2 (A8X), iPad Mini 4 (A8), iPad Air/Mini 3/2 should be about the same (A7), iPad 4 (A6X)

18. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I think the A8 struggled on the 6 Plus because it was scaling. Should be fine on the mini 4, especially if it has 2gb of RAM.

I doubt there will be a Mini 5 next year. More likely, Apple will release the Air 3 in 2016 and the Mini 5 (essentially a shrunken Air 3) in 2017.

19. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Hoping the Air 3 is a shrunken iPad Pro.

20. ValO macrumors 65816

A9 is still dual-core . A9x is triple of quadcore.

21. happiness_even macrumors newbie

The mini 4 is now as thin as the air 2, I'm hoping that the mini 4 doesn't have the screen distortion and sound vibration issues that the air 2 had.

If the mini 4 has an accurate gamut, 2 GB of ram, and no screen distortion/sound vibration issue, then it's a keeper imo.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thanks for sharing this video, @DJTaurus

23. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

The mini 4 definitely has a regular A8 but with 2GB of RAM which will SUCK ON IOS 9!! Look at how the slide over thing is black and not translucent, that is a graphical effect that was disabled because the A7 (A8, very similar to A7) struggled with it.

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'd put up with some vibration in return for decent volume.

25. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The 6 Plus has to contend with downsampling, something which the Mini and 6 doesn't have to deal with. That's part of the reason the 6 Plus struggles.

Its a straightforward 2x to get to retina from the original to retina for the iPad.