iPad iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chairman.Jobbie, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Chairman.Jobbie, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

I have owned an iPad Air since it was released and I have the urge to upgrade. Is it worth moving to an Air 2? If it had been upgraded this year to Air 3 it would have been a 'no brainer' to upgrade - so instead I bought an iPad mini 4. I wanted to see if I could 'enjoy' a smaller screen.

I like it - the size - it's better to take out with you and the book size screen makes it better to read books and Instapaper on but general browsing isn't as good as the air because of the smaller font - but not at all bad either. Overall I like it. I like having a choice of screen as I won't be selling my iPad Air.

I know it's a personal thing but just wondering what people think. Stick with iPad mini 4 or iPad air 2?

One thing I love is the Touch ID - and it works really well. No more typing passwords - for this feature alone it's worth upgrading in my opinion.

I have a feeling I'm going to stick with the mini 4 and get the air 3 next year, but I have until Jan 20th to decide.

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I am a major fan of the Mini form factor and did buy the Mini 4 in September.
    I have an iPad Air 1 and my wife did also, but she needed more space. She had 32gb so I bought her an iPad Air 2 64gb just last week during the Black Friday sales. Now understand that she is not tech oriented, at all. So considering she won't use any of the new features, I have been quizzing her on how she likes the upgrade and frankly says she can't tell any difference between the 1 and the 2. Gah
    Having an iPad Air 1 and a Mini 4, I do notice a performance difference - I could have lived with my Mini 2 but needed more space as well and I just want the latest and greatest.
    So, to me it is a personal choice. I would NOT go back to the Mini 2 because I do love the touch id and the split screen and better camera etc, etc.
    I do like the Mini form factor over the 9.7" because of the portability of the Mini. Mine goes with me everywhere. I have no problem reading on it and a movie looks great, but would probably watch one on the Air 1. I don't watch movies on my tablets anyway.
    Sorry for rambling... Yeah, I like the Mini for sure.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Yeah I went from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro and now I'm on a mini 4.
    I sold the Air 2 because I really thought the iPad Pro was the device I had been waiting for. It wasn't for me in the end. Got the mini 4 on sale and so far it's the best of both worlds. It has the power/screen quality of the Air 2 but is super portable. Yes I seem to zoom in a bit more on the mini but I can actually carry it around easily. The Pro was way too big for me and while the Air seems to be a nice sweet spot, I'd recommend at least using the mini for a bit longer.

4. trellaine macrumors member

I'm stuck. I have been having minor issues with my iPad Air. I would like to upgrade for A more storage. Lighter. And Touch ID and screen? And I have a $200 gift card for Apple Store.

But there were/are rumours of a regular size iPad next year?

Any truth to a first quarter release? Maybe I should wait.

Thanks

5. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

I got a mini 4 a few days ago. I love it. There are a few performance issues such as hideous frame drops when multitasking but other than that love the size, portability, and the ability to type on it with both thumbs in portrait mode. It was tough deciding between this and an Air 2 but I have a 13" MBP and figured the mini is the sweet spot between that and the iPhone 6.

I have the 64gb LTE version and have no complaints. Got the silicone case + Smart Cover as well and they are very nice.

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I have been using an iPad mini 2 since it was released. I thought about upgrading to mini 4 but the one thing that has always bothered me about the mini is the smaller text. I instead opted to purchase a refurb Air 2. I could not be happier. Text is now a decent size and overall I can just tell that most apps are designed for the sweet spot that the Air 2 display is. Oh I did try a pro and hated it because it just not comfortable and hardly any apps are optimized for it. Too much money for what it delivers to me personally as I am not interested in the pencil or add on keyboard.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

8. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I sold my Air to and my mini 3. Bought the Pro a couple of weeks ago and picked up a mini 4 about 1/2 a hours ago. This for me is the right combination (I think). I'll use the Pro at home and the mini when out and in the office.

9. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

And taking of mini 4, can anyone recommend a case as my mini 3 case doesn't fit?

10. Aydy macrumors member

Aydy

I loved my mini 2 but sold it and went with Air 2. I do like not having to zoom in as much on A2 but i do miss the in the hand feel of mini form factor. That little tablet is just so easy to grab and hold for hours at a time. I kinda miss that when using my A2

The air's are great but find myself hankering back to the mini form factor..Maybe time to trade..

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

The Mini 4 is the first iPad I have enjoyed so much I missed it when I foolishly returned mine last week. After the current iPhones did not work for me, I exchanged my 6s+ for a 5s and another iPad Mini 4.

I love the Mini form factor. Being able to read on it is wonderful. Movies are awesome, and I'm even getting used to typing on the keyboard one handed.

The screen / speakers / weight are great.

It completely changed my mind about iPads.

12. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Do you use a case?

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

The Silicone back case. The texture feels weird to me.

I am waiting on a cheaper case and a replacement neoprene sleeve. How the speakers will sound in that case is pivotal. If they are clear and the case is feels good, the Apple Silicone back case is going back.

14. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Thanks. I'd like Apple to do a leather case like they did for the mini 3 but don't think that they do. I've ordered this from Amazon (I'm in the UK)

iPad Mini 4 Case, JETech Gold Serial Apple iPad Mini 4 Slim-Fit Folio Smart Case Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake for Apple New iPad Mini 4 Released on 2015 (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013X9JBMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_K53ywbGP0KC1X

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

16. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

To the OP: I love my Mini4, it is far and away my favorite Apple device. I had the Mini1 and loved the form factor as it was so much easier to use and carry than my iPad2. I can carry the Mini4 in my coat pocket, around the house, but most importantly my hands don't tire when reading for prolonged periods. The Touch ID may be my favorite feature and I do use the SplitScreen fairly often.

To Medz1: As to the case, I bought a "Berlin" cognac leather case from Kavaj. ( kavaj.com/iPad-mini-4-cases.) It is not cheap, but it is very thin and it was less expensive and provides MUCH more protection than my old Sena case for my original Mini.

17. SusanK macrumors 68000

I like the portability of my mini but just purchased an iPad Air 2 for the larger screen size. I love the larger screen. I too wish the iPad Air 3 was available. The Air 2 I just purchased was from BB for BF with $100 discount so that made the sale.

I really love the larger screen. The Air 2 will be for home use. Very nice device.

18. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Can't believe it! I just ordered the Kavaj Berlin cognac 5 mins ago! Thanks!

19. Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

I got this case. It's not bad at all for £9 and the reviews speak for themselves - but for me the edges are aliittle sharp when holding and the top cover doesn't fold perfectly. I think I'll be making a trip to apple today to buy the top and bottom for my mini to see if it's better even if it's massively over priced at £70+ quid.

20. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

The great leather case from Kavaj is "only" £28. It looks great, feels great, offers great protection and is a LOT less expensive than the Apple option. Check it out.

21. Chairman.Jobbie, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

The case you suggested covers the bezel of the iPad to keep it in place, which I don't like.

I just brought the apple iPad mini 4 case - top and bottom - £70 after work discounts.... Expensive but just what a wanted - a soft touch case which covers the sharpish edge of the mini so it's comfortable to hold. And cut outs are precise and small leaving non of the iPad exposed.

I ordered another case from Amazon for £12 which should arrive later - looks promising. If it's good I'll return the apple case.

iPad Mini 4 Case - KHOMO® Dual Black Case iPad Mini 4 - Ultra Slim Lightweight with Stand and Magnetic Smart Cover Auto Wake Sleep On / Off Function Full Body Protection for new Apple iPad Mini 4 - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012DFZRTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_qodzwbK8M1WYE

Looks like this thread has become about cases...

22. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Also, if you register with Kavaj on their website you get a £5 discount to use on Amazon.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I'm returning the Apple Silicone back case - it feels weird and is too costly for me. The two I got from Amazon, the Neoprene sleeve and the ROARTZ sleep / awake case are just fine (I can get the iPad Mini 4 with the ROARTZ into the neoprene sleeve and close it.)

As far as the Air and Mini, for me it all comes down to ease of use. I can hold the Mini with one hand for a couple of hours with no fatigue or strain. I haven't had that kind of luck with the Air 2 even though it is lighter than it's predecessors. I can see why people would have issues choosing though.

24. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

25. Chairman.Jobbie, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

I just received the KHOMO case. First impressions are that it's an excellent quality looking and feeling case - it matches the apple case the most of the cheap 3 non Apple cases I've tried - so much so that I'm thinking I should return the apple case and pocket £58. It covers the top rim of the iPad enough to not feel it and has a rubberised finish so feels similar to the Apple (although apple is better).

At £58 cheaper it's given me something to think about o_O

And I really like the mini 4 size so I'll be keeping it - I agree Kazmac - it's just easier to hold for longer periods and feels better for to take out. For me it compliments my Air which I'll use at home and to watch stuff on. I want to move away from my OSX and work solely on iOS - it does everything I need it to do.