iPad mini iPad Mini 4 Safari lag issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by colinw123, Sep 21, 2015.

1. colinw123 macrumors member

Just got an iPad Mini 4 on Friday from my local apple store. While using it for the last 3 days i noticed Safari has a big issue. If i'm browsing for say 5 minutes or so all of a sudden while scrolling i just get a dark grey screen and after about 5 seconds the web page content appears, scroll down or up some more and it does it again. this happens even when scrolling slowly as well.

Ive tried turning it on and off again and clearing the cache but it still keeps happening after several minutes of browsing. Only closing the browser and running it again fixes it, but it starts doing it again after a few minutes.

These iPad mini 4's have 2gb of ram so i don't get why the extreme lag.

I thought it might be IOS9 related but it does not happen on my wife's iPad mini 2 or my old iPad 4 both with IOS9.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks

2. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I have no lag on mine. I am also running Purifi which will help your browsing speed. Have you checked the ISO 9 form for this problem?

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I have been using mine since last Thursday, on multiple wifi sources, and have not had any issues in safari even with 7 or so tabs open. have you tested it on a different wifi source? How many tabs do you have open when you notice the issue? Do you have any other apps running in the background?

4. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. This happens with just one tab open only. I can repeat it every time. And Im only about three foot away from my net gear r7000 router. I have no other apps running.
    I did look on the ios9 forum but could not see anyone else with this issue.
    I will restart my router as see if that helps.
    . Thanks

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Do a restore. If it still happens, go exchange it.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you are going to do a restore anyway.....first clear and delete everything and then setup as a new iPad (no restore). See if it happens then. If it doesn't, then clear and delete again and do a restore.

If it does happen....take it back.

-Kevin

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Like it has been said above, restore it and try to reproduce the issue. If it happens again, return it ASAP.

8. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

9. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

I agree. Are you listening, colinw123?

10. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

yes i'm listening, just done a reset, still the same, now going to do a restore.

11. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

restored, set up as new, after loading up just 7 web pages it was still doing it.

Back it goes :(

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yup....sounds like bad hardware. I just loaded 9 pages on my mini and tried the Trusted Reviews site....no issues here.

-Kevin

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It happens. Hopefully the new one will be just fine.

14. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks Kevin, i cant think of anything to try really.

i did try another browser earlier dolphin browser and that was fine ? making me think it was just related to safari, but then i don't get the issue on my other ios devices.

15. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

update, i am actually seeing the same thing in safari on my iPad 4 but not quite as bad though. hmmm

16. ANDJOE macrumors member

ANDJOE

This is an iOS 9 issue. 9.1 corrects it.

17. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks, maybe i'll try 9.1 beta in that case as a test.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I had some of that when I first got the Mini 4, but it somehow worked its way out.

I tried that page with/without Crystal content blocker and both scroll smoothly.

I'd say give it a few days. I burned in the screen, speakers, ran battery down to shutdown, and added Crystal since purchase.

19. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

Hi asleep, thanks for the reply, i did give it 3 days and it was still bad. i was hoping it would calm down.

i cant get ios 9.1 public beta as its not out yet for this new device.

by the way it doesn't just happen on one particular web site it can happen on others too.

20. Skyhawk21 macrumors regular

Not seeing that problem at all on my iPad mini 4 and loaded same website while I had multiple other tabs open. Loaded all up in ram and scrolled up and down at more than 60 fps. Using GM version of IOS 9 still build 340.

Do you have any new content blockers installed because if you do, other forum members are posting that they could cause the issues your seeing on some sites. Also check safari settings under IOS and see if they are all on default out of the box settings. Also I'm using 2.4ghz dual channel wifi with a 110/10Mbps connection on a super wifi router with low latency...

21. colinw123 thread starter macrumors member

It's all fine now ?

Strange as straight after a reset and restore it was still doing it. I even installed crystal content blocker and that made no difference. But last night it was all perfect, it's completely gone now.

So it seems after the restore and several hours later all is good :)

The safari settings were always default.

Happy but confused !

22. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Could Spotlight indexing have consumer the CPU and rendered Safari sluggish?

Thus, now that it's indexed, all is back and good?

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Bingo. :cool:

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Heard this elsewhere.

I doubt indexing would have the CPU throttling to the point where sites wouldn't load. Seems more like it would be bad code integrating with safari.

I guess it's possible CPU could be prioritizing system tasks (indexing) over safari browser. Either way, I'd be pissed lol. But seeing as it's been less than a week since the device came out, can't really complain yet. Glad it fixed itself!

25. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Next time it happens you can always try the iOS 9.0.1 update that just came out.