Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Even so the difference in price will be justified by the vastly superior hardware of the mini 4 (assuming that the rumors come true).

My point still stands, I would like Apple to offer the option to not include Touch ID for people that do not want it, with the consequent $100 price reduction of course.

Yes, I understand the point but the current pricing with the 2 and 3 is an anomaly and the Touch ID itself doesn't justify the price difference even though it is the only measurable improvement outside of colour.
The same price difference was there between the 1 and 2 and that was a proper upgrade - RAM, CPU, Screen etc.
The plan will be for all devices to feature Touch ID going forward and it would likely cost more to keep different assembly lines to manufacture differing devices purely because of the difference with Touch ID.

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015
The plan will be for all devices to feature Touch ID going forward and it would likely cost more to keep different assembly lines to manufacture differing devices purely because of the difference with Touch ID.
I don't buy the cost argument. Apple still sells the old non-retina 13" Macbook Pro with spinning HD! Forcing Touch ID everywhere seems more like a decision than a cost cutting measure.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I don't buy the cost argument. Apple still sells the old non-retina 13" Macbook Pro with spinning HD! Forcing Touch ID everywhere seems more like a decision than a cost cutting measure.

My point is if you have two products that are identical except a single button that would require two separate assembly lines, that would cost more in production than a single assembly line with a single product.

Rava

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
There have been a lot of rumors lately that the mini 4's upgrades will be minimal instead of the big upgrade that was rumored before. Really hope those prove to be false, I'd like the upgrade to the mini 4, but it needs to be a big improvement.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'm likely to stick with my mini 2 for a while, whatever the mini 4 turns out to be like. More memory and loader speakers would be nice, but for now at least, the mini 2 does what I need it to.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm likely to stick with my mini 2 for a while, whatever the mini 4 turns out to be like. More memory and loader speakers would be nice, but for now at least, the mini 2 does what I need it to.

I will likely stick with my Mini 2 as well. The thing that would tempt me most, well, two things, would be ability to use Split View and improved color gamut and accuracy. Unless the new Mini has both, I'll wait for the Mini 5.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Until iOS 10 comes out

Apple is still supporting devices with 512MB of RAM. You can't seriously believe that in 1 year iOS is going to require more RAM than OS X. Apple is going to need to make sure that iOS runs sufficiently on even 1 GB device for some time, or else leave a large potion of their customers out in the cold. Most people don't buy the latest device every year, so if hardware that's just a couple of years old can't handle iOS, they're going to look pretty bad.

Reactions: lusheslewis

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Apple is still supporting devices with 512MB of RAM. You can't seriously believe that in 1 year iOS is going to require more RAM than OS X. Apple is going to need to make sure that iOS runs sufficiently on even 1 GB device for some time, or else leave a large potion of their customers out in the cold. Most people don't buy the latest device every year, so if hardware that's just a couple of years old can't handle iOS, they're going to look pretty bad.
Do you not see everybody complaining about the 1gb ram and iOS 8 with safari and apps reloading
The iPhone 6 plus is less then a year old and already the 1gb is not enough , you say 2gb is enough , for now it is
At least until iOS 10

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Do you not see everybody complaining about the 1gb ram and iOS 8 with safari and apps reloading
The iPhone 6 plus is less then a year old and already the 1gb is not enough , you say 2gb is enough , for now it is
At least until iOS 10

I see plenty of people complaining about it here, and literally nowhere else. People who frequent tech forums often get a skewed perspective of the average user's experience.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
He's right about that.

Apple sold a lot of ipad2s to schools,etc that they still have to support. Safari blows on it, but the ipad2 must still be supported.

Apple is still supporting devices with 512MB of RAM. You can't seriously believe that in 1 year iOS is going to require more RAM than OS X. Apple is going to need to make sure that iOS runs sufficiently on even 1 GB device for some time, or else leave a large potion of their customers out in the cold.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Are the rumors pointing towards the mini 4 being announced during the September event or we thinking October?

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
I think we'll see all three (Mini 4, Air 3, Pro) in September. They might be released in October though.

I don't think so. Ios 9, watch os 2, iphone 6s and 6s plus, apple tv with sdk (key release) and three ipad including ipad pro (another key release). It's too much. Maybe 2 iphones, apple tv with sdk, and more accesories for apple watch (ios 9 and watch os 2 included).

In october-november keynote: os x el capitan, new imacs(including 21'5" retina imac)and mac accesories. Three ipad (only sure about ipad mini 4) and maybe other mac little updates(mac pro/mac mini)

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
I think we'll see all three (Mini 4, Air 3, Pro) in September. They might be released in October though.

I don't think so. Ios 9, watch os 2, iphone 6s and 6s plus, apple tv with sdk (key release) and three ipad including ipad pro (another key release). It's too much. Maybe 2 iphones, apple tv with sdk, and more accesories for apple watch (ios 9 and watch os 2 included).

In october-november keynote: os x el capitan, new imacs(including 21'5" retina imac)and mac accesories. Three ipad (only sure about ipad mini 4) and maybe other mac little updates(mac pro/mac mini)

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

Not necessarily true. They'll spend about ten minutes talking about whatever with the OSs, half an hour with the iPhone, half an hour at the most with :apple:TV, and an hour at the most with the iPad. The longest it can be is two and a half hours, with updates, which is the length of WWDC. Without updates, they'll probably be able to squeeze it into 2 hours, which was the length of last year's September event.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Not necessarily true. They'll spend about ten minutes talking about whatever with the OSs, half an hour with the iPhone, half an hour at the most with :apple:TV, and an hour at the most with the iPad. The longest it can be is two and a half hours, with updates, which is the length of WWDC. Without updates, they'll probably be able to squeeze it into 2 hours, which was the length of last year's September event.

We'll see. Only 10 days remaining!

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Get ready for an Air 3 and a full specced Mini 4...

There was a rumour a few weeks ago about the iPad Pro being iPad6,8. That sounds like there are three iPads this year, as there are usually no more than three strings for each iPad model (the only exception being the iPad 2, which had separate GSM and CDMA 3G models).
I'm calling it, Mini 4, Air 3, Pro.

EDIT: Also, just realised this also means good things for the Mini. The original Mini had the iPad2 strings, like the iPad 2, and the Mini 3 had the iPad4 strings, like the Air and Mini 2. If the Mini 4 is a shrunken down Air 2, it would have the iPad5 strings, like the Air 2. In that case, even an Air and Pro couldn't account for 8 strings.

TLDR: We'll likely see an Air 3 and a full specced Mini 4 this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.