iPad mini iPad Mini 5 charging delay

Discussion in 'iPad' started by first_iPad_user, Jul 31, 2019.

1. first_iPad_user macrumors newbie

Has any one experienced their new iPad mini 5 not starting to charge when connected to power until several seconds or even up to several minutes after connecting to power?

Seems to be related to the order of how you connect the iPad to power. This is easily reproduced when connecting the power supply to AC, connecting the lightning end into the iPad and lastly connecting the USB end into the charger.
    Or, alternatively, when everything is connected, each time you disconnect and connect the charge cable at the wall supply the iPad may or may not start charging right away.
    Under the same conditions Mini 4 will charge immediately every time. no matter in what order it is connected.

Thought this may be related to the new support for USB-C PD in this iPad but the new 10.5 which also introduced this feature does not seem to have this issue...

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

I think that's because it’s checking if there’s water in the connector.

3. ericwn macrumors 68030

And you base this thought on what resources please? Or is it just a wild guess?

4. Newtons Apple, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What? If you do not know, you should not guess. You have been an Apple user since 2011 so . . . .

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I haven’t experienced this albeit my chargers stay plugged in.

6. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201569

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I don't know if Apple can detect if there is water in the charging port, but I do know if you have debris in the charging port area, it won't charge (like pocket lint - that's my biggest problem).

Also, I've had a few Apple cables go bad so I have a handful of Anker iPhone cables throughout the house, work, car.

I've only had this problem on my iPhone. As long as the mini was eventually charging, I wouldn't worry about it. All my Apple devices have had their own personality to them - and all have lasted longer than I've owned them for. But if it bothers you, you could definitely take it into an Apple store and show them.

None of my devices have taken 5 seconds to charge when plugged in. :/

8. ericwn macrumors 68030

And where in that article does it support your guess? I don’t see a section that says “if the charging icon comes up delayed, the device checks for water in the connector, but only on this one model of iPad.”

The article doesn’t even feature the words water or liquid.

Please backup your claim.

9. qinan macrumors newbie

My ipad mini 5 also has this issues to..it is not starting to charge when conected to power cable, waiting couple of seconds and the mini start charging. Even sometimes, it wont charge at all, so i unplugged the power and plug it again. Try different adapter (from my iphone adapter), the charging delay issues still shown up.
    I already sold my ipad mini 5, not because of this issues, but because the screen is too small for me. Rightnow im using ipad air 3 and it doesnt have this issues.
    My mini 5 is 64 gb and wifi only, space grey

10. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

12. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

Oops! My bad! Maybe this Reddit post can help clear things up: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/com...ike_this/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

13. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

my samsung phone will check if any water .. it ask for dry first.. i never see in my ipad mini 2019,ipod touch 6th gen ,5s complain this thing.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You don’t see it as it is not checking for water.

15. ericwn, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019

ericwn macrumors 68030

1) iPhone not iPad
    2) looks like iOS 13 beta
    3) the OP never mentioned a pop up message so this is unlikely related
    4) the other forum member who has a similar issue also didn’t mention a pop up messages

Next time you want to leave an uneducated guess, maybe just be bold enough to say “I personally have no experience with this but the following link has something that I guess may be related to what you’re experiencing “.

I don’t mean you any bad, but you should be driven by the wish to help the OP. We can only help the OP by providing useable information or asking further clarification questions.

16. AutomaticApple, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

It doesn’t make sense to me that the warning wouldn’t happen on an iPad either. iPhone and iPad technically have the same connector after all.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2019 ---
    That warning feature has been around since iOS 10: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/07/20/ios-10-water-in-the-lightning/
    Yeah, I think I just misunderstood OP this whole time...
    I definitely should’ve said that. Oh, and I’ll gladly take the blame. It was my fault.
    I understand what you mean, no worries.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Wow, didn't even know there was such a feature. Learn something new every day.