iPad mini 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnluke91, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Johnluke91 macrumors member

I sold my ipad mini 1 because it had become too slow for a satisfactory use. This size is perfect for me, so I was considering buying the mini 4 but being just a few months away from the possible presentation of the mini 5, I could wait. What are the possible news that will be introduced with this new generation?

2. Emily Johnson macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying one as well, it's rumored to have some new features. Just list what I like, haha: 3D Touch (cant wait to try), Apple Pencil, iOS 10, 32GB storage as standard, blah blah. Hope it's true, lol

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

where are these rumors from? certainly cant find them in MacRumors line ups. i'd love a new mini5 for vacations. great for camera/photo use and Pencil use. for blogs and diarys.

4. Emily Johnson macrumors newbie

From some articles that I read. For camera, not so sure about this, hum

5. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Hopefully apple will update the same time as the pros, and with the update actually make it up to date. Maybe a standard a10 chip?

6. yegon macrumors 68020

I seriously doubt the Mini will ever be in sync again, performance wise, with the bigger iPads. The Mini 2 was an anomaly methinks.

Equally, I'd be surprised if we saw any any Mini update till 2017. All things point to it being a back burner product these days.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

There haven't been any rumours about a Mini 5 other than random guesses and wishful thinking. However, the Mini 4 is really good. Some people complain that it only has an A8 chip, but in my experience it performs very well, and its 2GB of RAM matches the latest iPhones and even the 9.7" Pro.

I'm just guessing as well, but I think that a price cut for the Mini 4 is more likely than the launch of a Mini 5 this fall, so you might want to wait for that.

8. ACG12 macrumors 6502

I think the mini 4 is going to get the iPad Air 2 treatment. I don't see them releasing a new one this year.

9. Johnluke91, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

Johnluke91 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe they will make a small revision of mini4, (like mini2/mini3) chip A9 and an increase to 32 GB of memory base to align it to the line of the bigger ipad.
    However I shall wait for September/October, if there is no update maybe saving on mini4.

10. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Mini 5? Yup, I'm in - and will order within the first 10 seconds when released. This year? Doubt it, but what do I know... The Mini 4 is in my hands right now as I sit in my dentists waiting area. Super portable, super powerful, super duper magical device.
    I'm not pineing for a 5 because the 4 is fantasmagoric.
    Did I mention I really like mine?
    If you don't have one already, get one. Now. Life is too short to wait.

11. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I have a love affair with my Mini 4. Besides the fact that it was a gift from the TMO CEO himself (through a twitter contest), it's certainly the best iDevice I've ever had. It's that good. I know the iPads Pro have more features and are faster, but for the portability and performance of this thing, it's unmatched for my use cases. A real updated mini 5 this year might just make my head explode lol

12. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I bought mine at launch and was expecting it to be the latest for a couple of years, but the Pro 9.7 seems to have been a change of plan by Apple and I am now hoping for True Tone Display and Pencil support this year.

13. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

It would be nice if Apple came out with a iPad Pro Mini too!

14. Osty macrumors 6502a

Be nice - I'd buy one in an instant - but I won't hold my breath.

15. bensisko macrumors 65816

Yep - like the Mini 4... Totally back burner product!

Anywho.... AFAIK, there are no rumors for the Mini 5, but I'd be surprised if a Pencil-enabled Mini doesn't appear in the fall. The mini has been pretty consistant (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad_Mini) Personally, I'd wait.

16. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

3D Touch and pencil support would pretty much do it, although I'd love to see the aspect ratio changed to 16:9. I'm sure that'll never happen, but they should consider who is using it, and how. The Mini is the entertainment device for the elementary school kids I know. They either have one, or want one.

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I understand where you're coming from, but that aspect ratio would make it too narrow to be a good e-reader. The wide margins added by Apple's iBooks app don't help.

18. yegon, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

yegon macrumors 68020

Thankfully, 16:9 will likely never happen on any iPads. Better for video, worse for almost everything else, it'd be such a backward step. Try using a Nexus 7, you'll see.

In landscape with keyboard visible, there's little screen left. Putting aside the on screen real estate, it's worse as you go bigger as the device becomes very top heavy in portrait.

In a similar vein, what I love about MacBooks is the 16:10 ratio. 16:9 is okay for a phone, but otherwise a lousy ratio across the board except for video. Games on a tablet, well, 16:9 vs 4:3, it's much of a muchness.

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I had a Nexus 7 and have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I love that aspect ratio for a tablet, but I mainly use my tablet in portrait.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

16:9 or 16:10 is not a good aspect ratio for a tablet. As mentioned above, the only thing it's better for is watching videos. 4:3 is much better for things like web browsing and reading documents. I used a Nexus 7 as my main tablet for 2 years before switching to the iPad mini 4. While the N7 was a fantastic tablet, the aspect ratio was definitely a drawback to me. Even Android tablet makers have realized this as the Nexus 9 and the latest Samsung and Asus tablets have adopted 4:3 (which has led to accusations of them being "iPad clones"). It's also a reason why I don't think that a plus sized iPhone is a good tablet replacement.

21. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

16:9 is good actually. I had it on the nexus 7, nexus 5, iPhone 5s, and now 6s+. Not to mention most computer monitors and every tv I've used in the last decade.

22. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

16:9 isn't great if you mainly use your device in landscape and don't watch a lot of videos.

I only use my tablet in landscape when watching videos. In portrait, the taller aspect ratio is beneficial so I don't have to scroll as much. I can see more at a time.

I like 16:9 on a tablet.

23. yegon, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

yegon macrumors 68020

Except a tablet is neither specifically a phone, television or computer monitor. It's all of those things and a lot more besides. Equally, 16:9 is a pretty awful ratio for laptops at the smaller end, so little vertical space. Prior to getting macs, I loved the old ThinkPads with 4:3 ratio.

It's a good ratio for phones by virtue of it being a handheld device and, video and gaming aside, is likely used in portrait the vast majority of the time, list type formats benefiting from the tall screen.

I can understand some might prefer a 16:9 tablet, it's personal preference, but it's hard to argue against 4:3 being a better compromise for a tablets many purposes imo.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Actually, I mainly use my tablet in portrait, and 16:9 just makes webpages and documents too narrow in that orientation.

25. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

A 16:9 tablet won't display a webpage any more narrow than a 4:3 tablet with the same width. You just see more on the screen at a time. Same when the iPhone got a taller resolution. The homescreen wasn't any more cramped together. You just got an extra row of icons.