Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Des48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2017
Can anyone tell me if they've heard if there will be an iPad mini 5 released soon, or at least some time this year?

Reactions: mcrawley

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
After using a pro I really want a smaller version of the pro. But, no news yet.

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I am really in a dilemma whether to get the mini 4 or the new ipad. I really don't want to buy a standard size ipad. but I think the mini 4 is too old to justify that money on it.

I hope a new one is released soon

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Sadly no, last I heard the iPad Mini was on the chopping block

There's no more evidence of that than there is of a Mini 5. The only news/rumours about the Mini right now are pure guesses.
[doublepost=1491822730][/doublepost]
I am really in a dilemma whether to get the mini 4 or the new ipad. I really don't want to buy a standard size ipad. but I think the mini 4 is too old to justify that money on it.

If it makes you feel any better about investing in a Mini 4, it has the same RAM as the new iPad and even the 9.7" Pro, and actually has a better display than the new iPad. The only spec advantage the new iPad has over it is a one generation newer processor, and the Mini 4 costs less if compared to a new iPad with the same 128GB capacity.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
There really hasn't been any significant rumours related to the mini.

At the most, when there was early chatter about new iPad models last fall/winter, a few of the supposed analysts mentioned Pro treatment across the line. But I think that is unlikely at this time, especially since what we have seen for sure are new model numbers in device logs that seem to match up with the current 2 models of Pros.

However, if no timely updates are given to the mini, I think it's likely that it will hang around just like the iPod touch (which is also on the A8 right now after a 2015 update). I mean, if they still sell iPod nano and shuffle that can't even access Music I don't see them rushing to stop selling the mini.

If you prefer the mini form factor and need one sooner rather than later, then I'd go for the mini 4. I still think it's an excellent device and with 2GB of RAM it'll have some longevity in it still. I'm likely going to pick up a refurb at one point myself. On the US Apple refurb site there's 64GB refurb for $309, though all colours are out of stock (no clue if there's even been any stock recently).

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
There's no more evidence of that than there is of a Mini 5. The only news/rumours about the Mini right now are pure guesses.
[doublepost=1491822730][/doublepost]

If it makes you feel any better about investing in a Mini 4, it has the same RAM as the new iPad and even the 9.7" Pro, and actually has a better display than the new iPad. The only spec advantage the new iPad has over it is a one generation newer processor, and the Mini 4 costs less if compared to a new iPad with the same 128GB capacity.

My problem with that is that the new iPad sports a processor that is already one generation old, making the ipad mini 2 generations old.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I wonder what they use as a barometer? The only mini they sell is old, so of course people are going to buy the non-mini choices. I prefer the mini and that's what's kept me from upgrading my mini 2. It still works.

Well, in fairness I'm sure they have sales numbers from when the mini, mini 2 and mini 4 all launched.

Looks like the biggest mini sales occurred in the quarter when the mini 2 launched and it was essentially a smaller version of the iPad Air (the only time the mini really was on par with the Air/9.7"). That does lend some credence to your point actually.

Actually Neil Cybart had a good analysis on iPad sales in general, including some tidbits about smaller screen vs larger screen sales: https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2017/3/29/apple-is-pushing-ipad-like-never-before

Reactions: psac

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
My problem with that is that the new iPad sports a processor that is already one generation old, making the ipad mini 2 generations old.

I believe that thinking of hardware in these terms is beginning to make less sense, especially for tablets. They've already been over-powered for what most people use them for for some time now. Yeah, some UI animations might stutter from time to time as the OS is updated, but I wouldn't say that my Mini 4 feels any "older" than it did a year and a half ago. I think this is why Apple put a year old processor in their latest iPad, and why most people won't notice or care. By all accounts the performance isn't even drastically different from the Pro models in most scenarios. You don't really need desktop class processors to run a mobile OS and apps. I think it's really only an issue for heavy gaming and some video editing apps.

Doesn't seem like Apple thinks there's a big enough demand to release another one.

I wonder what they use as a barometer? The only mini they sell is old, so of course people are going to buy the non-mini choices. I prefer the mini and that's what's kept me from upgrading my mini 2. It still works.

Well, in fairness I'm sure they have sales numbers from when the mini, mini 2 and mini 4 all launched.

Looks like the biggest mini sales occurred in the quarter when the mini 2 launched and it was essentially a smaller version of the iPad Air (the only time the mini really was on par with the Air/9.7"). That does lend some credence to your point actually.

Actually Neil Cybart had a good analysis on iPad sales in general, including some tidbits about smaller screen vs larger screen sales: https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2017/3/29/apple-is-pushing-ipad-like-never-before

I think that the better question is what are we using as a barometer to judge demand, because most claims one way or the other seem to be anecdotal. If the graph above is accurate, it suggests that throughout 2016, 7.9" iPads accounted for around a third of all iPad sales, which I would think is enough to justify keeping that form factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
The Mini is a great form factor-- just right for reading ebooks, great for taking and displaying photos, and fantastic for in the field uses such as astronomy.

However, it could use a flash, an upgraded camera (better for low light), a newer processor, better speakers, even brighter and more accurate color gamut, 3gb RAM, etc.

Being on the Mini 5 and our family will buy several in a heartbeat.

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I believe that thinking of hardware in these terms is beginning to make less sense, especially for tablets. They've already been over-powered for what most people use them for for some time now. Yeah, some UI animations might stutter from time to time as the OS is updated, but I wouldn't say that my Mini 4 feels any "older" than it did a year and a half ago. I think this is why Apple put a year old processor in their latest iPad, and why most people won't notice or care. By all accounts the performance isn't even drastically different from the Pro models in most scenarios. You don't really need desktop class processors to run a mobile OS and apps. I think it's really only an issue for heavy gaming and some video editing apps.

But will it survive the next 2 iOS releases? I don't want a device that will become obsolete after the next iOS release.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Considering mini sales are terrible compared to full sized iPads, we'll most likely won't see new mini's soon.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If Apple planned to launch a new iPad mini for this year, we would have heard of it by now, especially from reliable sources like Ming-Chi Kuo.

A refreshed iPad mini would require a steep ramp in production of new cases, so guys like Kuo would have heard from chassis makers Catcher, Foxconn, or Jabil. It's the same with the iPad (2017). You can't launch a new iPad without telling the rest of the supply chain.

We can rule out an iPad mini Pro, as I've mentioned in several threads. Such a product would have limited utility in a content creation or business applications role due to the small screen size.

Reactions: profets

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone tell me if they've heard if there will be an iPad mini 5 released soon, or at least some time this year?

I'll put it to you this way: it probably doesn't look good if they reduce the iPad mini line to a single capacity of the most recent generation (which is running a CPU that is, at this point, two and a half years old) without producing an update.

So, no, I wouldn't bank on an iPad mini 5 or some other branded 7.9" iPad to be released anytime soon. Odds are it'll get phased out over the next year and a half.
[doublepost=1491936744][/doublepost]

No, actually, there's much more evidence to suggest that there WON'T be an iPad mini 5. You don't take a lineup that consisted of a previous generation model at 32GB and a current model at 32GB and 128GB and shrink that down to just a single current generation model at 128GB WITHOUT announcing something newer on top of it. That's not the sign of a product line that's going anywhere other than down the tubes.

But will it survive the next 2 iOS releases? I don't want a device that will become obsolete after the next iOS release.

It will run this current version of iOS okay, probably start showing really noticable signs of sluggishness in iOS 11 and then either be dropped in iOS 12 or be on its last release at that point (in which case it'll start running like crap). That tends to be what happens with Apple's A series processors. Remember that the jump between A7 and A8 wasn't as huge as the jump from A8 to A9. Also that the A8 in the iPad mini, save for its 2GB of RAM, isn't much better than what you got in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which are both showing their signs of age in terms of performance in the latest iOS release as well.

The red is the mini, the blue is all larger sized iPads. You consider that to be terrible?

It's not stellar, nor indicative of a product sub-category with any real future ahead of it. The mini-tablet market is all but abandoned at this point by all but the crappiest of cheapo tablets. The iPad mini 4 is closing the party down.

Reactions: Atomic1977

LostInSpace2017

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
If Apple updated their iPad Mini, then they'd get increased sales. I *love* my iPad Mini 3, it is the perfect size to read ebooks on in its carrying case I can stand it up on my chest and lie down on my bed and read for hours, MacBook Pro is too heavy. I am very hopeful that Apple will come out with an iPad Mini 5. Different sized screens for different tasks, my iPhone 6 is too simply small to read on. Apple has the cash to keep up everything in the ecosystem, it shouldn't be about profits from one device, but providing something for everybody in the ecosystem so people buy Apple across the board. iPad mini sales are down last quarter because people are waiting for the iPad Mini 5. Please Apple! Make the iPad mini 5!
[doublepost=1492098958][/doublepost]
It's not stellar, nor indicative of a product sub-category with any real future ahead of it. The mini-tablet market is all but abandoned at this point by all but the crappiest of cheapo tablets. The iPad mini 4 is closing the party down.

But people buy ebook readers like the Kindle.
Probably people wait longer to replace their iPad Minis than they would an iPad. I think Apple is just being more disciplined with the iPad Mini line and realizes they only need to refresh it every 2 years. If the mini-tablet market is dominated by cheap brands wouldn't Apple want to stay in it?

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
For Apple, Yes. Look at the trend. Not to mention mini's profit margin is low as well.
Sure, trend.. dont you think that trend is set by apples decision not to upgrade mini... best sale numbers for mini were after mini 2 introduction - same specs as bigger ipad.. of course sale numbers were falling after ipad mini 3 and 4 were introduced - old tech sells worse...

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I think Apple is trying to push the mini users to the 2017 model. Yet my options are 2. I need a small mini. it will either be that or nothing.

Reactions: AlexBerkman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.