Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
Agreed, my Paperwhite will get quite dim, enough to be unusable in a dark room.

However, it still does not have enough contrast ratio to read the Paperwhite in the dark with the backlight turned down too much. Therefore, I have to use the Paperwhite at a higher brightness level at night than I would like, in order to get around the lower contrast ratio. I have 3 Paperwhite, the 1st gen PW non-cellular, the next generation with improved screen and 3G, and the latest water resistant one with cellular that recently came out, and reading in a dark room at night still requires too much light due to contrast ratio (which is better than my nooks).

My iPhone X and Xs Max OLED screens are great for dark bedroom reading with the black background and white text, with the backlight turned down to between 1-10%.

1) I have no problem with the contrast.

2) I can't use the black background on the app. The white shines through too much. I have very sensitive eyes. I use sepia.

3) I find phone screens too small for reading ebooks.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
1) I have no problem with the contrast.

2) I can't use the black background on the app. The white shines through too much. I have very sensitive eyes. I use sepia.

3) I find phone screens too small for reading ebooks.

1) My problems with the Kindle contrast are only at the very lowest brightness levels in a dark room. It's still better than the nooks, but the lower you set the backlight level in a dark room the worse the contrast. I can't comfortably read it in a pitch dark room with it set lower than level 9-10. When I'm using the Kindle on a bright day the contrast is great even with no backlight, and on an overcast day it's even better with it cranked up. The only reason I never set the backlight to completely off is so that IF the next time I try to use my kindle and I'm in a dark room then I'll still have a level 2-3 backlight that allows me to see enough of the screen to adjust it further from there.

2) I mentioned I am using the iPhone OLED screens with black background, so there is no backlight bleeding through to bother my eyes at night.

3) The X and Xs Max in portrait mode still work great for me to read books at night, and I can still read fine print so I can set the font size small enough that I still feel like I'm reading a regular sized book. But my wife has to make the letters so big on her 7 that she can only see a couple of sentences on the screen at one time. At other times such as on an overcast or bright day, I prefer my Kindle - it's only at night that I prefer to use OLED iPhone screen with black background.

I'm going to give it a test, and read my iPad mini 5 with an e-book in bed tonight. I'm getting ready to sleep now, and I always like to read for 15 or 20 minutes first.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Have just set up my new mini 5 ... cellular, 256, space grey. Really having fun with it, and I actually like the old fat bezels, they are great handles for holding it.

While I wouldn’t want it to be my only iPad, it is great in its limited range. Fast, bright vivid screen, super light and easy to use, it is so fast I’m not really missing the promotion of my 10.5.

It’s cute.

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
This is why an iPad Mini with OLED display is still my dream device.

As OLED is understandably so important to you perhaps you should think about casting your net a little wider. Samsung is meant to be launching a new flagship tablet, the S5, in the next few months. The current model, the S4, has Super AMOLED and HDR so one can expect pretty much the same from the S5. Chances are Samsung will go with their now standard 16:10 aspect ratio, which unlike the iPads' 4:3 isn't absolutely ideal for reading. The screen is also likely to be at least 10.5". However, as regards that last, I don't think it inconceivable that a smaller version will also be introduced at the same time. The last time Samsung did this with a flagship model was with the S2 tablet when alongside the 9.7 inch version they also had a device with an 8 inch screen. My suspicion is that they may revive the smaller tablet in order to compete with the new mini.

Reactions: Oohara

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
As OLED is understandably so important to you perhaps you should think about casting your net a little wider. Samsung is meant to be launching a new flagship tablet, the S5, in the next few months. The current model, the S4, has Super AMOLED and HDR so one can expect pretty much the same from the S5. Chances are Samsung will go with their now standard 16:10 aspect ratio, which unlike the iPads' 4:3 isn't absolutely ideal for reading. The screen is also likely to be at least 10.5". However, as regards that last, I don't think it inconceivable that a smaller version will also be introduced at the same time. The last time Samsung did this with a flagship model was with the S2 tablet when alongside the 9.7 inch version they also had a device with an 8 inch screen. My suspicion is that they may revive the smaller tablet in order to compete with the new mini.

I had the Samsung S2 8 at the same time as the iPad mini 4, both bought within a few months. Why I thought I needed it god alone knows but it was a waste of money. I hardly ever picked it up, much preferring the iPad Mini. I also found the OS confusing and the security updates abysmal. Needless to say I wouldn’t touch a Samsung, or any Android tablet, again. The screen was beautiful but that’s no use if the act of using it is subpar.

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
I had the Samsung S2 8 at the same time as the iPad mini 4, both bought within a few months. Why I thought I needed it god alone knows but it was a waste of money. I hardly ever picked it up, much preferring the iPad Mini. I also found the OS confusing and the security updates abysmal. Needless to say I wouldn’t touch a Samsung, or any Android tablet, again. The screen was beautiful but that’s no use if the act of using it is subpar.

I still own one (I bought it at a knock-down price a year or so ago), and, apart from a far from ideal battery life, I really quite like it. I certainly don't find Android confusing. If anything I think it is easier to understand than iOS. And that is one of the many reasons I love my Samsung phones. My only loyalty is to what I like and what works.

But there are plenty of reviews from purchasers and others online. Far better to rely on the totality of them than what one or two posters say on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhinosrcool

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I still own one (I bought it at a knock-down price a year or so ago), and, apart from a far from ideal battery life, I really quite like it. I certainly don't find Android confusing. If anything I think it easier to understand than iOS. And that is one of the many reasons I love my Samsung phones. My only loyalty is to what I like and what works.

But there are plenty of reviews from purchasers and others online. Far better to rely on the totality of them than what one or two posters say on this forum.

Note 10...coming soon :) The only series that I seriously consider leaving Apple for.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
Do you guys have any trouble downloading ar apps? Most apps i tried give me a “this device is not compatible with this app”.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just got mine and I love it so far. I wish it had tap to wake though, if the XR can get it the LCD screens on the iPads can too.
This. I just tapped on the screen and nothing happened and realised I was an idiot.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
No, not me. Everything downloads as normal. Maybe try restarting your device?
I did and i also tried logging out and and in to the appstore. Could you please try the “leo augmented reality” app (it’s free), to make sure we are trying the same one?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I did and i also tried logging out and and in to the appstore. Could you please try the “leo augmented reality” app (it’s free), to make sure we are trying the same one?

I’ve just tried it and it says not compatible. Which is odd, as if you look at the requirements on the App Store, it initially says ‘Works on this iPad’ then when you tap the drop down for compatible models, I can’t see any reference to any iPad mini.

Very odd as the iPhone SE is on the list, with its slower processor and smaller screen.

I’d be tempted to contact the developer and ask them if the new Mini has been omitted accidentally (since the Mini 4 is behind the SE in processor it’s possible that that has been dropped by now) or what the reason is for it not being compatible.

Reactions: says_stuff

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I still own one (I bought it at a knock-down price a year or so ago), and, apart from a far from ideal battery life, I really quite like it. I certainly don't find Android confusing. If anything I think it is easier to understand than iOS. And that is one of the many reasons I love my Samsung phones. My only loyalty is to what I like and what works.

I agree, everyone should always always make up their own mind, it’s just my experience with Android. It was a beautiful device, I just couldn’t get on with Android. I found the file system very confusing. I’m just an apple girl it seems.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
I’ve just tried it and it says not compatible. Which is odd, as if you look at the requirements on the App Store, it initially says ‘Works on this iPad’ then when you tap the drop down for compatible models, I can’t see any reference to any iPad mini.

Very odd as the iPhone SE is on the list, with its slower processor and smaller screen.

I’d be tempted to contact the developer and ask them if the new Mini has been omitted accidentally (since the Mini 4 is behind the SE in processor it’s possible that that has been dropped by now) or what the reason is for it not being compatible.
Thank you for the validation! Maybe it’s because the mini is new, or something.. I’ll try apple support and post back when they answer :)

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
My Mini 4 case arrived today. From the pictures it looked as if it was in fact a Mini 5 case, but it is Mini 4. The microphones are covered but the camera isn’t interfered with for photos (the part blocked is the black ring around the lens, rather than the lens itself.) It will do until a design I like comes around for the Mini 5.

Still, it should be easier to get the charger in at least. I ended up with a hairline scratch at the bottom (presumably from where it was so awkward to get the charger in with the universal case I was using.)

Federer2017

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Germany
My Mini 4 case arrived today. From the pictures it looked as if it was in fact a Mini 5 case, but it is Mini 4. The microphones are covered but the camera isn’t interfered with for photos (the part blocked is the black ring around the lens, rather than the lens itself.) It will do until a design I like comes around for the Mini 5.

Still, it should be easier to get the charger in at least. I ended up with a hairline scratch at the bottom (presumably from where it was so awkward to get the charger in with the universal case I was using.)

Hi,

At First: I am sorry this question has already been answered on previous pages, but I am wondering if the original Apple Silicon Case (and Smart Cover) for the iPad mini 4 also fits the iPad mini 5? The fact that the microphone is covered is Not important for me, but I read that the volume buttons also slightly changed?

Sorry for my english Skills, I hope you understand what I‘m asking for.

Thanks!

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Hi,

At First: I am sorry this question has already been answered on previous pages, but I am wondering if the original Apple Silicon Case (and Smart Cover) for the iPad mini 4 also fits the iPad mini 5? The fact that the microphone is covered is Not important for me, but I read that the volume buttons also slightly changed?

Sorry for my english Skills, I hope you understand what I‘m asking for.

Thanks!

Volume bottoms are the same but the microphone is different. I have one of each iPad here.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I don’t have an Apple Mini 4 case (it’s a generic one from eBay) but I am able to control the volume through the case.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Coming from an iPad mini 4, after trying out the 10.5 Pro recently, I decided the iPad mini 5 was the way to go. Simply put, I missed the portability of the 4 and when I used the 10.5, the device itself was awesome but the form factor was just huge, simply too much for me. Holding it in bed just seemed a monstrosity lol. While I loved the screen real estate to use, the size simply wasn't something I was willing to sacrifice for it so I returned the 10.5 and went with a mini 5 and so far I have been ridiculously impressed with it.

I don't mind not having Pro-Motion on this, you simply don't notice it given the 7.9 display. Everyone is different on this, but for me personally the lack of Pro-Motion here is not a deal breaker. The lack of four speakers is not a deal breaker either, and in terms of the design yes it is a 7 year old design, but for me it doesn't bother me simply because I love the larger bezels which makes it easier to hold when using it. I don't know if Apple will ever update the design of this any time soon ( I thought the mini was dead personally), but for now, I don't see the fuss of having larger bezels and people thinking it's an eyesore. I simply choose not to let it bother me.

Not having a better camera is fine ( I take pics with my iPhone X anyway) BUT I do like having the improved 7 MP camera on the front for my FaceTime calls so I will take that. The look of the new Space Grey on here is truly slick too, it matches the Smart Cover I had for the mini 4 perfectly so I'm glad Apple went with the darker shade here. My gosh, that lightweight feel in my hands, it's glorious. I didn't care for the 10.5 size at all despite having all that power, the portability was just too much to overcome. With the mini, it goes anywhere I need it without any issue. What's really awesome is the display's P3 and True Tone additions which are most welcome, its a joy to look at. And that A12 isn't kidding around, I've done everything so far and it just flies, not a hint of lag. Multitasking, videos, browsing, you name it and it doesn't miss a beat. It really does show itself off next to a mini 4 which was no slouch to begin with!

In short, I'm in love with the mini 5 and would highly recommend it.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Can someone confirm whether the Kindle app on the mini shows two columns of text when reading in landscape?
Assuming the font size is a bit smaller than standard that is.
Thanks

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Can someone confirm whether the Kindle app on the mini shows two columns of text when reading in landscape?
Assuming the font size is a bit smaller than standard that is.
Thanks

Yes, the Kindle app shows two columns. My font size is larger than normal and I still get two columns. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.