Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnigmaticZee

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2022
Lalaland
Any predictions on when we will get iPad Mini 7 and if it will have M1. I am new to iPads and the first one I got was iPad mini 6 earlier this year. So, I am not aware of Apple's upgrade pattern with iPads.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
iPad mini has been on a very slow update schedule since the mini 4, with about 2.5 years between releases.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Any predictions on when we will get iPad Mini 7 and if it will have M1. I am new to iPads and the first one I got was iPad mini 6 earlier this year. So, I am not aware of Apple's upgrade pattern with iPads.

The updates on the Mini aren't as frequent as other models which I think is good. Since it was just released in 2021, we probably won't see a 7 until 2023/24. You can always check the MacRumors Buyers Guide.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Before Monday I would have guessed 2+ years until another update. However now that there are some killer features on iPadOS available with an M1 I think we may see something sooner. I would no longer be shocked to see something this year or early next.

Reactions: EnigmaticZee

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Even if iPad mini 7 gets M1, stage manager will probably not there. iPad mini 7 experience wouldn’t be much different from iPad mini 6.
The M1 chip comes with standard 8 GB RAM, so if the Mini got a M chip then there is no reason why it would not support Stage Manager. I suspect the iPad Minis from this point onwards will get all the latest A chips though, which in my opinion is better than slightly older M chips (M1 is based on the 1.5 year old A14).

Reactions: EnigmaticZee

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The M1 chip comes with standard 8 GB RAM, so if the Mini got a M chip then there is no reason why it would not support Stage Manager. I suspect the iPad Minis from this point onwards will get all the latest A chips though, which in my opinion is better than slightly older M chips (M1 is based on the 1.5 year old A14).
iPad mini screen is so small I don’t see any real benefit of stage manager. Latest A chip makes more sense.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I think we could see an update sooner than usual.

My reasoning is that the 6th generation was a complete redesign and I think Apple will want to capitalise on that investment. A spec bump would increase sales.

Additionally, they increased RAM in the Air to offer new features and I can see them wanting to do the same for the Mini. An A16 with either 6 or 8GB of RAM would be my guess.

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Funny, I literally just googled “will iPad mini 7th gen have M1” right before I opened up macrumors 😂

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They seem to be alternating years between updating the Air and mini (Air 2020, mini 2021, Air 2022) so possibly an update next year if that patten holds. M2 or A16 are both possibilities, I'd maybe lean towards A16 because of the reduced thermal dissipation potential of the smaller mini?

Reactions: VaruLV and snipr125

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The benefit would be for using an external display. Because the iPad mini is so small, using an external display for serious work would make even more sense than for the larger iPads.
so they limit stage manager behind external display I guess. Fair, but I still scratch my head trying to figure out why a device with small screen wants to be hooked to bigger screen most of the time, especially when the big screen usually doesn’t have touch control support. Then one would needs a mouse and maybe keyboard. But why….

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
so they limit stage manager behind external display I guess. Fair, but I still scratch my head trying to figure out why a device with small screen wants to be hooked to bigger screen most of the time, especially when the big screen usually doesn’t have touch control support. Then one would needs a mouse and maybe keyboard. But why….

Device you can bring anywhere with you that can double as a “desktop lite” when you get home. Would be interesting to see this feature on iPhones, too.

Mind, I think Samsung already does this?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Imagine you have two modes of usage: stationary with keyboard and mouse, and on-the-go hand-held with touch. For those favoring that dichotomy, it would make sense to go with the smallest device supporting the two modes. In principle even an iPhone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Imagine you have two modes of usage: stationary with keyboard and mouse, and on-the-go hand-held with touch. For those favoring that dichotomy, it would make sense to go with the smallest device supporting the two modes. In principle even an iPhone.
I am using my iPad Pro 11“ to support both modes. It’s big enough so anything displayed on it is big enough to be seen, while small enough to carry around. iPad mini “smallness” is closer to an iPhone than an iPad, which I don’t like.

With The support of magic keyboard case, I can even use mouse and keyboard on the go without much worry. I dunno how iPad mini size can support that Without a super miniature keyboard.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Device you can bring anywhere with you that can double as a “desktop lite” when you get home. Would be interesting to see this feature on iPhones, too.

You mean Samsung DeX equivalent? That would be a valid proposition, instead of cramming whatever multitasking feature to tiny phone screen.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Samsung has been doing it for 5 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.