iPad mini a bust?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thundermustard, Oct 27, 2012.

1. thundermustard macrumors regular

Anyone else remember a new Apple product not selling out the first day?
    Yes I know the white one is sold out (that could be due to production issues) but you couldn't buy any color iPad 3 the day after preorders were taken.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

The ipad 3 was not sold out even scalpers had to return them after realising that Apple had plenty in stock for everyone. On the other hand yes the ipad 2 was sold out for awhile!

If the ipad mini is a bust I guess the ipad 4 as well since it is still in stock for preorder!

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I am betting the Apple will keep it's inventory we'll stocked with Christmas season approaching. I think they are close to saturating the market as the 3 sales slowed and the 4 is still available for order with the original delivery date. The holiday season will soak up a lot of inventory!

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Things have changed. They make more of them now.

It's just supply and demand. A company tries to anticipate demand and will try to have the items on hand.

Makes sense right? :D

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Like video game consoles. There is a magically price point manufacturers have to hit to get consumers to buy in masses.

Very few will buy full price iPhone at $650/750 USD prices. But once the subsidized price hits $199/299 people buy.

Same with iPad $499 pricing.

I think psychologically if apple had hit the $299 price point people will perceive it a better price point than $329. I know its $30. But it's sounds better pricing a mini tablet in the "2" price range.

It's like luxury cars. People perception of a lower end luxury small sedan is in the "30s" price range. But most won't buy a souped up toyota Camry if its over $29999.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

It's way too early to make declarative statements about the success of the Mini.

A lot of target sales will mostly be second/third devices for households, gifts, replacements for people who wanted a more portable device.

I don't think any of those audiences are a 'preorder the first day' type crowd. I think Apple is hoping for a strong steady growth through the holiday seasons as people see/use it rather than the avalanche of day 1 sales you see with other Apple products.

The iPhone is heavily subsidized and since users are tied to the contract release date, it builds up pent demand over an extended period. The iPad had a big rush because it was something new and different.

This is going to be different. Plus i think there is a wait and see attitude do the price. At $329 and up, it's not an impulse item for a lot of people.

7. Bokes macrumors 6502

here's a few- just hunches:

1 They make more.

2 There are a whole bunch of super cheap ipads on CL and Ebay.

3 Most people already have a tablet these days (iPad, Fire, Nexus, etc.)

4 Folks realize the mini too little for too less...and they see what happened with version 4 upgrade- perhaps many are waiting for a real mini with better specs.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

One difference with the Mini vs iPad 2/3 launch is that people knew exactly what the iPad 2/3 were. The mini is a new form factor with reduced specs so people may want to try it first.

For me, I got two on order.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The scalpels made most of their money buying here and selling in counties that Apple wasn't in.

Apple for the past year has opened stores in these countries and offered product virtually the same day as roll outs in the US.

The iPad 3 was just about everywhere the earlier release of the iPad 2 was not.

No reason for anyone to buy something with an artificial scalper markup when it is available locally.

Absolutely not an indicator that something is a "bust"

10. monaarts macrumors 65816

I think a lot of the more casual users haven't bought it yet because of Christmas, and trying to save their money. As soon as Black Friday comes around, you won't be able to buy one anywhere buy eBay or Craigslist. ;-)

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

As mentioned at the event, Apple has sold over 100 million iPads since it was first introduced. Not as many customers to sell to. That probably is playing the largest part to the lack of a sell out. Also, take into consideration that a lot of people probably just bought an iPad within the last 7 months when the iPad 3 was released. This weird release schedule coupled with a second option (iPad 4), is also contributing to the lack of a sell out. Of course, price probably has a little bit to do with it, but I bet it's not as much of a factor as the other points I have mentioned.

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad mini will be a product that will sell better inside the stores. Most people will need to pick it up and experience it, first. That said, it's exactly what I wanted and realistically expected. Looking forward to getting mine on the 2nd.

Apple products are for consumers looking for value and function, but also design and a high level of quality that isn't found in other products. For that reason, $329 is a reasonable base price. For consumers who are just looking to spend less, there are several clumsy, plastic products out there offering experiences that match the lower price point.

13. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Also remember that Apple makes money every time you sell your current device as you will wipe it and the new user will likely buy apps. Apple has got it "licked" either way. :apple:

14. fishbow macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I bought a white one and wanted to change to a black one. So I can still get it by next Friday.

15. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are remembering wrong, I was in an Apple store many weeks after the iPad 3 came out and they did not have any in stock. And the iPhone 5 is still shipping in 3-4 weeks. That is Apple's biggest profit maker, they would much rather have those shipping immediately than the iPad mini. So I don't think it is increased capacity to blame for the lack of a sell out.

Let me declare I love Apple, I have tons of their products and am even a stock holder (I bought at $95 right before the iPhone was announced).

I want it to be a best seller, but I think that Apple screwed up by making this the first iOS device not competitively priced.

Sure you can't compare the 8GB Nexus 7 at $199 vs the iPad mini with 16GB. The screen is larger, albeit at a lower res and the Apple ecosystem is far superior. But to get GPS on a mini you have to spend $130 more for cellular data. The Nexus 7 at $199 has built in GPS. So we can call those off setting. A some clueless mom buying a tab for a kid sees $199 vs $329. That is end of story.

Even if Apple had squeezed just $30 off the price at $299 I think the black one would be sold out already.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The demand for an ipad is way different than a phone....new mac's never sell out (aside from the retina)

17. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

No, he's correct. I remember how people were able to walk in with no lines. Scalpers were disappointed because the improved supply cut their profits and they were retuning them unsold, sometimes by the dozen. Perhaps that particular store was sold out on the particular day you showed up.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

even the original ipad was easily available. The ipad 2 was the only one that sold out.

19. bigboar macrumors 6502

hmm,,, Maybe I am in the minority but the mini coming out is what just got me to take my fist step into the ipad market. I liked my wifes ipad 3 but didnt really care for the size and when I saw the mini it just seemed right for me... I dont think it will be a bust as you are saying as I am sure there are going to be many millions more who will love the smaller size!

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't know what store you were at but my local stores were out of iPad 3 for a while after the initial launch. Never base anything on scalpers.

I'm not a fan of things selling out the first day. I think that's more of a negative statement about production that it is an affirmative statement on demand.

With the mini i'm not surprised the white sold out first. I think the all black is going to be more popular and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 60/40 black to white production split.

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I was talking about chinese scalpers where china always get apple products months later after everyone else! This is why you always see iphones, and ipads sold out in hong kong!

iPad 3!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343528
    With pix
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1348299
    http://www.ecns.cn/business/2012/03-23/11030.shtml

22. fsumom macrumors regular

Does it really matter if it sells out? I don't consider it a bust at all for what I wanted it for. Buy the item if it works for your needs. I bought it because I preferred the size of it for my 6 year old. I don't care for the price of it, but I knew that it wasn't going to come close to being the price of a Kindle or Google Nexus.

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I was at the apple store in houston texas! Walked in got out after 5 min! 16GB white ipad 3 launch day.

24. fsumom macrumors regular

And you are very correct here. However, I am one mom that chose the iPad mini over the Google Nexus 7 mostly because of the OS, build quality, and apps available. I also like the screen size of the iPad mini better too. Sure, the iPad mini and cover brought my cost to $395 which is hard to fathom spending on a 6 year old. My parents went in with my husband and I for the LeapPad for her last year that DD hasn't played with that much. It takes batteries and drains them. It's awful! Most apps are pricey not to mention the games. We only had 3 games and maybe $60 worth of apps. All in all, I bet the system has over $200 invested in it so I'm willing to spend more on the iPad mini to get more! I plan on listing her LeapPad closer to Christmas to recoup some of the cost of the mini :).

25. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

If you own stock in Apple then yes, it does matter.