ipad mini advantage - what are they

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tape302, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tape302 macrumors newbie

Waiting for Apple's announcements coming soon. iPad mini to be one? I don't understand what the advantage would be to grab a mini over the regular iPad? Is it cost alone?

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

For me it is the size. Holding an iPad in one hand gets quite tiring after a while and if I want to read for 10 hours I have to keep moving to stay comfortable. When I had my Nook Tablet, the size and weight were perfect but the screen was sorely lacking and the touch input wasn't accurate enough for me.

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Cost and size. Some people (mainly kids and women) prefer the smaller form factor.

4. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

I have to read a lot of pdf documents and I think the actual size of the iPad is perfect .
    A smaller size would not be a good idea for what I need.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me the advantage of the mini would be size and cost. I carry my Kindle Keyboard with me a lot of places because it is very portable. The mini would be similar in that I would carry more because of its smaller size compared to the regular iPad.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've been thinking about a reason to go from the iPad 3 to the Mini but I can't come up with a good reason yet.

I do a lot of different stuff on my iPad.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I agree with this. The smaller form factor would be a plus for me.

8. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Like some said I also think it's mostly about size and weight.

There are situations where an iPhone is too small and there are situations where an iPad is too big and heavy. There's definitely room for something in between, especially if it's not too expensive.

9. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

For me, it's the size. I have a Nexus 7 and I prefer that a lot over the 9.7" iPad. So if the Mini is right around that size/weight, i'll be a happy camper.

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Size/weight (i.e. increased portability)
    Cost (i.e. easier for customers to justify the "extra" purchase)

It's the same story as with iPod Mini. Even though that offered a fraction of storage space for only $50 less than the iPod classic, people ate it up due to increased portability.

11. tiiim macrumors regular

Having tried a Nexus 7 the other day the form factor is spot on. Great for reading, quick surfing, videos and games. The 7" form factor might be more ideal for consuming content rather than creating.

Reading especially is the killer-feature on the 7" form factor, using one hand and is so much more comfortable than the bigger iPad.

I see the iPad more a general 'laptop-killer' (more most people - I use that phrase loosely) while the smaller one is aimed more at the content consumer (kindle people etc). But like all iOS devices there will be overlap.

12. HERO XXL macrumors regular

None whatsoever. Just a new toy to play with!
    (Hey--At least I'm honest!)

13. Izzybeff macrumors member

Definitely size & weight. I want something I can carry in my purse that isn't going to feel like my whole laptop is in there. If they actually come out with the mini i'll be going back to a regular phone as opposed to the iphone and just getting a mini to throw in my purse. Internet would be cheaper on it than the plan I have on my iphone so it's kind of a no brainer for me.

14. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Size and price are the expected advantages, obviously. We won't know if there is more to it (or even if the size/price expectations are correct) until the announcement has been made.

I doubt a smaller iPad would have identical use cases to the one we have now, and there probably will not be an 1:1 mapping of the users either.

15. tape302 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lots of good ideas and comments. Thanks people. Now I have the really difficult decision--it WAS iPad, now I am not sure

16. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Form factor and price. That's pretty much it.

17. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

there are no advantages at all. none.

18. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Considering that the alternative device has not been released, that is presently a very correct answer.
    If just the darn question hadn't involved "would", that answer would have my full support... :p

19. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

1. Weight
    2. Size

easy & comfortable to hold for long....better to carry around.

20. nelly29 macrumors member

Can't fit an ipad in my inside jacket pocket....but a nexus 7 does fit....I don't want to carry a backpack or carry the ipad in my hand everywhere I go....the 7 inch size is WAY more portable then the 10 inch....So Im goona wait to see if a mini is on the way...if not I will buy an N7 again...and not return in before the 2 weeks is up this time :D

21. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You seem to hate consumer choice. Not everyone has the same requirements and preferences as you do.

22. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

yes they do.

23. polotska macrumors 6502

24. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Size and one-hand usage with a sufficient big screen size; useful while commuting to read MacRumors and other content. Looking forward to get one