Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lopes16

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012

Attachments

• spk-a1867_candyshellgrip-for-ipadmini-whiteblack_straightfront3qback_1.jpg
    spk-a1867_candyshellgrip-for-ipadmini-whiteblack_straightfront3qback_1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 142

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Speck just released a new ipad mini case:

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-mini/candyshell-grip-for-ipad-mini.html

Very nice, but will it be better than a folio case?

There's 2 things I don't like about that case. One, it's hideous and two, they want $45 for it. If it were solid black and you couldn't see those lines and priced around $30, I would possibly consider it. Another issue is that it appears to not support the Smart Cover, which many people use.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I am looking for a good TPU case or any case that is soft, offers a good grip, is light and thin. I don't want to use a smart cover with it.

Which one would you guys recommend? Would be the Incipio NGP the best one or are there any better alternatives?

I would like some high quality material that isn't cheap to touch like the soft material that is used on the Nexus 7.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Agreed. I ordered the matte version of the CoverBuddy in hopes that it's not near as slick as the clear one. The clear and the black I tried were too slick.

I almost ordered Belkin's Shield but there's a huge cutout for the speakers and I couldn't find any pictures of it other than Belkin's stock photos.

geez.. you sound like me! I hate the cases with the huge cutout on the top/bottom (or sides). I want nice clean cuts that go right around the openings.. the Switcheasy does it best; I just want something a little thinner (not that its thick) and w/ a little more grip to it.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
There's 2 things I don't like about that case. One, it's hideous and two, they want $45 for it. If it were solid black and you couldn't see those lines and priced around $30, I would possibly consider it. Another issue is that it appears to not support the Smart Cover, which many people use.

Well, it's iPad mini version of their iPhone case that has done pretty well. If it is similar to the iPhone version than the "lines" will be rubber and will help with grip. It looks ok to me... not great, but not bad enough where I would not consider it. My biggest concern with a case like this, would be the added weight.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
geez.. you sound like me! I hate the cases with the huge cutout on the top/bottom (or sides). I want nice clean cuts that go right around the openings.. the Switcheasy does it best; I just want something a little thinner (not that its thick) and w/ a little more grip to it.

I think the matte version will have a little more grip.

Well, it's iPad mini version of their iPhone case that has done pretty well. If it is similar to the iPhone version than the "lines" will be rubber and will help with grip. It looks ok to me... not great, but not bad enough where I would not consider it. My biggest concern with a case like this, would be the added weight.

Yes, the thickness looks to be a little much for me. I don't need much grip as I'm usually not doing anything strenuous when using my iPad. :) I also got insurance in the event I do drop it. I'm more of light case with insurance than thick case for protection. These cases tend to be what I can pay for 1 year of insurance.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
I am looking for a good TPU case or any case that is soft, offers a good grip, is light and thin. I don't want to use a smart cover with it.

Which one would you guys recommend? Would be the Incipio NGP the best one or are there any better alternatives?

I would like some high quality material that isn't cheap to touch like the soft material that is used on the Nexus 7.

I just received the NGP and will be returning it. It causes my screen protector to bubble up on the edges. I called incipio about it and they said to try it with the provided screen protector....it did the same thing. I'm going to order the new speck candyshell

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I just received the NGP and will be returning it. It causes my screen protector to bubble up on the edges. I called incipio about it and they said to try it with the provided screen protector....it did the same thing. I'm going to order the new speck candyshell

The key is to make sure the protector is perfectly (=evenly) aligned on all sides so that there is a tiny gap between the edge of the film and the edge of the iPad. THat way the NGP case shouldn't push on the film...but it took me quite a bit of manoeuvring to get it that way.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Forest Green folio case Forest Green Folio case brown. Purchased it in brown for my friend in Aussie. There are 2 more colours(navy, pink)

So I picked this up:

Good:

Its super thin (the thinest case I have seen)
Super light
Nice Leather

Bad:

The edge that fits into the grooves was already separating from use. Seems you have to push it into the groove and that is causing the issue.

No corner protection for iPad

Priced too high

lbhskier37

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Agreed. I'd buy a Smart Case in a second if Apple would release one.

I just ordered a red Smart Cover and red Switcheasy Coverbuddy. Closest combination to the smart case I think. I wanted to go Smart Cover only, but the wife insisted on some padding for the 4 year old.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a iPad Mini, and I need a case from day one otherwise it's not gonna be pretty :D

What I'm looking for:

- Folio (I mean, the ones that look like a Moleskine for example)
- Wake/Sleep Function
- Holds it self when closed
- Something not that thin, since it's going to be on my backpack and I really want it to be protected from other stuff
- 3 degrees stands
- Doesn't cost a fortune (40$ máx.)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I just ordered a red Smart Cover and red Switcheasy Coverbuddy. Closest combination to the smart case I think. I wanted to go Smart Cover only, but the wife insisted on some padding for the 4 year old.

You may check in the CoverBuddy thread as I remember some color combination didn't match well. I think it was pink though, but I don't remember exactly.

FWIW, I have the dark gray with dark gray Smart Cover and it matches perfectly.

Not me, there are plenty of better cases for way less.

Since the Smart Cover is $39, I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for perfect cutouts, an Apple logo, and great coverage all around.

I've been trying all types of cases since the iPad mini launched and I have yet to find a perfect case that I'm almost positive the Smart Case would be, for me at least.

What are these better cases for less? I'd love to check them out.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
DODOCase....

True - like this one

Ahhh. NO.

----------

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a iPad Mini, and I need a case from day one otherwise it's not gonna be pretty :D

What I'm looking for:

- Folio (I mean, the ones that look like a Moleskine for example)
- Wake/Sleep Function
- Holds it self when closed
- Something not that thin, since it's going to be on my backpack and I really want it to be protected from other stuff
- 3 degrees stands
- Doesn't cost a fortune (40$ máx.)

Ill sell you my new marware axis for 40. Too padded for me.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Dodo case is basically an ipad case designed as a moleskine book. If you can't see that then you're blind.

I personally don't like them either I tried it and the quality was horrible.

cmirza

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Will Incase be doing a Magazine Case or MagSnap Case for the iPad mini like they did for the full sized iPad?

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Dodo case is basically an ipad case designed as a moleskine book. If you can't see that then you're blind.

I personally don't like them either I tried it and the quality was horrible.

There's always Portenzo - have heard their QC is much better than Dodo's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.