iPad Mini Display vs Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I know everyone is saying why doesn't the Mini have Retina...but I don't think it's a problem.

I think people feel as if they're going from an iPad 3 to and iPad2. When in all reality the iPad Mini has a better PPI. 163 in the Mini vs 132 in the iPad 2.

And for people complaining about the A5 Chip...The A5 Chip was in the 4S which had Retina Display. And the 4S ran very quickly. I think the A5 chip inside of something without a Retina Display will run it just as good (if not better) than the 4S.

Yes, I know in a year all these features will be included. But for now I think it's a solid device. Better than the 4th Generation iPad because for some reason they kept the form factor old...so the next update will be the Mini/iPhone 5 form factor...lighter, thinner, and sleeker.

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

Well, I think whether it's a problem depends on subjective opinion and use patterns. I spend hours reading on my iPad 3 gen every day and there's no way I would consider down grading the screen resolution. However, if your main criteria is portability and you're mainly using it to do some web browsing, emailing and looking up information on the go, then the mini is probably just fine.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I remember comparing my iPad 2 and 3 side by side, and although I could tell the difference, it was very subtle, not like OMG. The iPad 2 screen is no slouch. The mini looks awesome.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I "downgraded" (sold my 32GB iPad 3) for a 32GB Mini.

I would surf the web, play games, or type assignments on my iPad 3...and sure, I loved the resolution...but a lot of Apps weren't Retina.

I hope going to this resolution doesn't bother me. Looking at an iPad 2 I can definitely tell the difference and I don't like it...but answer me this...is the iPad Mini's resolution/screen better than the iPad 2/iPhone 3GS?

I keep seeing people say it's screen is like a 3GS and I don't/can't really believe it.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No you didn't "downgrade". Geeez...

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Someone is repeating some crap that John Gruber said that basically the text is rendered exactly like the 3GS. However, many others that I've seen blog and or interview on shows on TWIT have said it looks better than the iPad 2.

Like you I am concerned about it. I actually thought about ordering and iPad Mini and iPad 4 just in case I had issues with the lower res not retina mini. Then I could just send one or the other back for a refund. Nonetheless I didn't and I am thinking is going to be okay. I really wanted the smaller size mainly.

7. seajewel macrumors 6502

No it's cuz the 3GS has 163 ppi and a lot of people are insisting that since iPad 2 had like 130 ppi this thing is "slightly retina-ish".. Only if you think the 3GS was too. And I did not like that screen in comparison to retina. At all.

8. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Well thinking back I remember how much of a difference there was going from the 3GS to the 4S. So, I guess we'll have to wait till we get it in our hands. I would be something if Apple ended up with tons of returns on these things due to the poor screen resolution. Though the iPad 2 has been a big seller, so maybe it's only us retina geeks that will take issue with it. LOL

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I recently got an iPhone 1 as a spare phone on an extra line I have.

It looks pretty good.

10. seajewel macrumors 6502

Yeah screen quality is the one thing I would return this for. But it is an amazingly light and thin device for its screen size/estate. Great battery life too. But I despise pixelly font so there's a good chance it won't work for me. We'll see.

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

Well, I don't think it's a general downgrade - it just comes down to your preferences and use patterns. I hope you'll enjoy it!

12. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

The Verge said the screen is fine, and it overall blows away the Fire and Nexus 7. I've owned four iPads, a Kindle Fire, two Nexus 7's, and, get ready for it, a Blackberry Playbook. I am confident the iPad mini will be the answer to my tablet problems. Can't wait for next Friday!!!

13. seajewel macrumors 6502

Really? I cringed even at the iPod nano I looked at in store and wiki says it's 220 ppi. I actually thought it was much lower based on how bad the font looked.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I'm not saying it looks as good as the 4S or 5. Obviously not. But still looks good after all this time.

15. seajewel macrumors 6502

Yeah it depends. I fear i'm pretty sensitive to non-sharp font and I'm getting this device primarily to read and browse on, so I'm a little worried. But I needed to see it in person and the nearest store is not reachable for me within a few weeks of launch.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am too, which is why I got a Kindle Paperwhite. The difference for long reading is night and day. I can't read a book on my iPad. My eyes get tired after a short while. Not to mention I jump onto macrumors or launch a game after a while. The PW lets me focus on reading for longer periods of time. But that's me. :D

17. seajewel, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

seajewel macrumors 6502

Oh I was an early adopted of e-ink and still happily use my beautiful Sony PRS-950 (7 in screen and aluminum body.. Not my first e reader) and I agree that e-ink is superior in most cases (for me) for long sessions of reading. But some books would do better on an ipad. (pictures, color, PDF). I actually quite enjoyed reading on my ipad3 while I had it in landscape dual column mode. I just didn't like holding it for hours at a time in bed:(.

18. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

For this reason I may get a Paperwhite too. Its just too tempting and easy to switch to an app when a book gets a little slow.

19. seajewel macrumors 6502

Or if you ever read outside in the sunlight.. LCD can't compete there.

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Fixed that for you :)

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I hate to admit how crappy my self-control is, but I must confess that this is precisely the reason I've fallen in love with my Paperwhite.

Now if only they'd just eliminate the experimental browser and direct access to the Kindle store, then I could REALLY focus. :D

22. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I think that the screen will be ok due to smaller points. Anyway, the big point for sure will be its thinness. I can't believe that it is same exactly thin than my ipod touch.

23. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

come on fellas, it will look EXACTLY like an ipod 2nd gen/iphone 3GS/3G/2G. Just take one out and compare. Not saying the pixels will be enlarged to 7.9" scale, but just see those pixels and they will be the same but at a 7.9" perspective. Make sense?

24. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I think it will make a difference.

Having a screen that is both small and lower resolution would leave me cold after using the iPad 3:rolleyes:

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, no.