iPad Mini doesn't have 'legs'

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MNealBarrett, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MNealBarrett macrumors member

With every Apple product that I can think of, the product has had 'legs'. Meaning that Apple put enough innovation into the hardware that the product would be ahead of the competition for many months, even years. The iPad 3, for example, is still ahead, more than nine months after it was introduced.

This can't be said of the iPad Mini, though. The Mini is out-of-date, TODAY. Already it is bested by the Kindle Fire HD for display resolution, for $130 less. And in about 2 weeks, B&N will be releasing their Nook HD, which will totally blow it out of the water. So if that is the situation today, what will the situation be like in six months, a year, or by the time Apple gets around to releasing a new Mini? Not pretty at all.

Apple is clearly resting on their laurels. This will be their undoing. I can't imagine Steve Jobs ever doing this.

2. tann macrumors 68000

The mini was never going to have the same internals as the big iPad no matter how much you wanted them, not in it's current form at this point in time anyway. It's just too small to fit in the battery for all of what you want! It's not like the iPhone and iPod touch, the batteries on those were a lot more similar in size compared to the iPad vs mini!

Maybe in a year... or two.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Well the iPad 3 is NO longer ahead as it's been replaced by the 4th gen iPad. ;)

I do agree with you on the points of the Mini. I would love to see Apple drop a fresh new product no one hasn't thought of. Right now it's all refinements of current products.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's not behind, really. It's not their flagship device, so it isn't cutting edge, tech wise, but this segment of the market isn't chasing the people who want the best specs. Anyhow, the only thing the competition has on the Mini is a few hundred pixels in screen resolution (that actually shows less content in many situations) and lower prices. Nobody is offering retina screens for $250.

Apple has been the most successful tech company in the world by not competing on price for a race to the bottom. They have no reason to change now.

5. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

New iPad (aka iPad 3 or 3rd gen) launch day was March 16th ... Um my math says that's 7 months and 11 days NOT more than 9 months!

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Wow
    How many versions of this thread do we need already!!

7. MNealBarrett thread starter macrumors member

Actually, that is not correct. The PPI of the Nook HD+ is 243, for $250. That is better than the new MacBook Pro, which is 227. So if the Nook HD is not "retina", then neither are most of Apple's new "retina" Macs.

Oh, and my cheap-ass Virgin Mobile Evo phone has a PPI of 256, which makes it "retina".

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Who the F cares!

9. MacDadd3 macrumors newbie

You are dumb for even making another thread on this.

On another note, I understand that screen are awesome etc etc but I have owned a nexus 7, a iPad 3, a galaxy nexus and just about every other competing phone and tablet and you know what I could give a rats ass about PPI because at the end of the day I think every other OS is ****. So why the hell would I buy a kindle fire or a nook hd for their PPI when I hate their OS which will be what brings me use?

So I will rock an ipad mini like there is no tomorrow with my sweet ass iphone 5 because that is what I like and makes me happy.

It's a matter of opinion and choice which we are lucky to have.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If this was about screen rez, the iPad 2 would have flopped.

It didn't.

So it isn't.

Try again.

11. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

Thing is people like you seem to think Apple just decided to crap out a product in hopes of turning a profit, as a multi billion dollar business, you should surely understand the kind of funding that goes into their marketing strategy department, and that it has been WELL thought out. They released it that way for a reason, be it to have more features in a future version, or to hurt the competitor's markets. I believe they have it all figured out, and although Steve was a huge engine of the whole thing, they have definitely not gone to the dumps since he died

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Forgot about the not-yet-released Nook.

Comparisons to phones or laptops are not really correct though; it all depends on how close you use the device. That puts your phone in the not-really-retina class, and the Nook in a kind of in-between area at 7" and 243ppi.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. It's a great product and its going to sell like hotcakes. People don't care about specs. And for the love of all that's holy, PLEASE PEOPLE, stop with the "Steve would never let this happen" comments!

14. Baggio macrumors 6502

I am finally upgrading from iPad 1. It has legs for me as my iPad 1 is still very usable for me. I just want something smaller and more lightweight for the reading I do on my iPad. I also wanted a camera for Skype/Facetime capabilities. So going from an iPad 1 wifi+3G to iPad Mini wifi+LTE is an upgrade IMO.

Now, when it comes to iPhones, I always get the latest and greatest. I am perfectly fine with my 4S, but I am waiting for my 5 to arrive from backorder. :mad:

15. Powrie macrumors 6502

The mini is only for kids and the Xmas rush has not hit yet.

If they would have released a Retina Screen all the Enthusiasts would be buying it.

Alot of people are holding out for the 2nd gen for that very reason.

The iPad update was only a small speedbump update to fix problems with the retina screen bogging down the ipad under heavy usage like a game.

Also windows 8 and all their tablets were just released.

So apple pushed out the 4th gen ipad to try and compete with them.

16. firewood macrumors 604

Enthusiasts were important when Apple's market share was down around 4%. But with their current tablet market share, tech enthusiasts are now barely more than a rounding error in importance to Apple. Currently, the people who think that an iPad Mini might be a better looking accessory for their (faux?)Versace handbag or CK jeans are likely to be a larger segment of potential iPad Mini customers.

That's why a thin non-plastic look with a big display will beat a whole bunch of spec numbers (like DPI or memory bandwidth, which nobody except that tiny insignificant percentage of enthusiasts reads about anyway).

17. sectime macrumors 6502a

Argue specs when your user experience is inferior. Microsoft never learned that either.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I say we wait to see benchmarks. Spec-wise maybe not, but it also is powering a much smaller device.

19. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

Sweet mother of god, could people please stop the over-analysing bullcrap already?

"This thing will never be a hit", "Apple are going to loose it all because of the Mini", "THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANTED!!!!!!1!!!!!11one".

Fair enough that YOU are disappointed, its totally cool that YOU don't get the idea behind the Mini.

Yes, the specs are not on par with other devices, no it's not the most innovative thing since the wheel.

But... It WILL sell like hotcakes. People WILL love this thing. Apple WILL make a killing by selling this.

Why? Because people have different demands in regards to products. Even the tech-savvy.

Me personally?

You bet I'll buy it.

Why?

Well, I had the original iPad, and never took it with me. It was simply just a bit too large.

The Mini on the other hand does what I need the device to do, in a package of an appropriate size that I can easily take with me.

Specs not up to date... Sheesh... I don't care. The thing does what it says on the tin. It does what I need. Everything else is unimportant.

And would people please, pretty please with sugar on top stop with these threads... It gets a tad tiring after the first 75 of them.

Kthxbai

20. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

It's interesting to see the fanboys now claim that resolution doesn't matter. Why must my fellow Apple fans embarrass me so often? Quality used to matter. Now it's just sales sales sales. So many people sounding as pathetic as Windows fans.

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Then don't buy one. Why complain about it. Don't buy it if you don't want it. How hard of a concept is that to understand?

Apparently very hard. Don't like the mini, don't buy it.

22. sneaky butcher, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

apple is following the other 7inch tablets lead and i think they made some big mistakes.

the ipad-mini will just cannibalise ipad sales and wont touch the nexus 7 / kindle hd because of its price. They also made it too wide to fit in a pocket. Their mini tablet isnt really mini at all.

its basically a disaster but die hard apple fans will buy it because they're tired carrying around the heavy ipad 3

I think they missed the point of a 7inch tablet. They painted themselves into a corner with all the sales guff they talked about 7inch being DOA. They might have wanted to keep the same ratio for apps and to make it look like the ipad but they changed the iphone screen ratio with a different screen size so i don't see why they couldn't change it for ipad mini. I think their ego got in the way of sensible device decisions and they pooped out a fail.

Better luck next time :)

23. Powrie macrumors 6502

Its because those people who are interested in sales have Apple stock.

They are invested in your Consumerism.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

with all of that said, it will still out sell the other competitors.

25. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Just to clarify your point, it might not fit into a jeans pocket or a shirt chest pocket, but neither would a Nexus 7.

I actually checked the measurements before ordering as it was quite important to me, and it fits in all my jacket and suit pockets I would use to carry it in.

Try it yourself, it measures 5.3" x 7.9" (rounded up).