iPad mini iPad mini experience

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tastycaramel, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tastycaramel macrumors member

Hi everyone. For those who just bought the iPad mini, can you share your experience and first impressions here?

2. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Mine arrived about 40 mins ago.
    Just downloading 6.01 now to install onto it but early impressions are as follows:

The device looks absolutely gorgeous. Seriously. It is the perfect perfect size.
    I have the black model and I love how the thing looks with the smaller bezel and the andonized (however it's spelt) metal.

The weight of the device is absolutely spot on.

I booted it up and whacked the screen up to full brightness. The display is lovely. Bright, crisp and clear. This was the biggest thing for me as I am a sucker for a retina display. However, seen as I wont be reading books on it, or doing any hardcore 'work' on it I don't see the non retina thing being an issue at all.

What I love the most is the keypad. Turn it on its side or keep it upright and it's easier to thumb type both ways with both hands on the device! That makes for some very easy typing on this thing! The full size iPad's could never allow you to do that - and that's one of the biggest wins for me.

I loaded up a **** tonne of apps at once (kept them open) and did some web page browsing to test for any slow downs - no slow at all. All moved very quickly and just as I would expect it to.

So far, no bad points. People might not believe this or would think even if there was I wouldn't admit it, but believe me, if there's a negative that puts me off, i'm not one to gloss over it.

So anyone on the fence - just buy it. My biggest worry was the display. There was no need. It is lovely, just like the device itself. :cool:

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

It's beautiful. Just as quick as my iPad 3rd gen as well.

4. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

Basically what turns me on to the iPad mini is the price and size. I can easily ''smuggle'' this to school without the discipline master catching me

----------

Of course. Even though its only 7.9 inches, it rocks better than iPad 3

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

What the heck is a discipline master? Sounds scary!

-- I'm so excited to hopefully get my iPad mini today, I honestly think I'll use it more than my bigger iPad. :D

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That advice doesn't apply to everyone. You said you're not going to use it for reading much. Many other people are interested in the mini specifically for reading (like yours truly). I saw it in an Apple store today and wouldn't be able to live with the non-retina display.

7. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

It is the head of discipline and always catch people skipping classes, without school badge and school socks. Yes, he is indeed scary. If you do not follow the rules, it may result in detention and cleaning.

----------

For me, it's music, YouTube and games that an iPad or any Tab should have.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

9. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

It should work/

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

OTOH, a discipline mistress sounds kind of exciting!

11. miltonbull macrumors member

miltonbull

So far I love it, got the black 16gb(dont need any more very light user). Weight is great and the size just feels right. Easier for me to type on than my 3rd gen iPad wich I will be selling. It feels just as fast as it. The screen is okey, nothing fantastic.

12. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

LOL! But in my school there's no discipline mistress

13. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Ah wow, that is scary! Is this in the USA?
    Sounds like schools here in the UK could do with something similar!

Haha! Right!

14. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

So far, any flaws?

----------

I'm in Singapore!

15. leonw macrumors member

leonw

What about the 512mb RAM? Any checkerboarding? Rebuilding tabs in Safari all the time, like my ipad1? That would be a dealbreaker for me. I will use it for ebooks as well but because I'm not 'spoiled' by the retina, the screen won't be a big issue for me. I think...

16. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

Screen size is quite an issue for me sometimes

17. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Does the display have the same contrast and colour gamut as the iPad 3rd and 4th gen? That would make up in some part for the loss of Retina, to me.

18. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

How are magazines and comics on it? Is it too small?
    If anybody could load up Empire Magazine and some comics in a video I would be much obliged. :D

19. leonw macrumors member

leonw

As long as I can read ebooks and websites with my +1 glasses and without zooming inn all the time, I think I can cope with the nonRetina...

20. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Reading all these good comments makes me wanna buy one!

21. miltonbull macrumors member

miltonbull

Well the only flaw so far would be the screen. It's good but nothing like the retina. My iPad is in perfect condition, no scratches or such.

22. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I think I saw dat film. :D

23. tastycaramel thread starter macrumors member

For me, screen must be clear and big. Personally I feel 7.9 inches is too small for a tab but I have not seen the actual product so I cannot judge.

24. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I bought it not sure if I would like it. I have a disability and so I truly appreciate the weight of the mini and that was the deciding factor in buying it. But was worried that it would be difficult to type on, in much the same way that I find the iPhone difficult to type on. However in landscape I find it as easy to type on as the regular iPad.
    The screen is gorgeous, I have no complaints about that.
    Websites seem a little small, but I can live with that.
    I was a skeptic about the smaller iPad, but so far I feel that the compromises feel worth it for the decresed weight.
    I'll have to see if I feel the same way after using it in a meeting.
    By the way now that I have it in my hand, the price seems completely justified.

25. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

That's kinda the point of the iPad MINI... Smaller screen. If you want a bigger screen, they can take your money for that, too. But it's a different product.

Clint