iPad mini Ipad Mini for 11 year old

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alm99, Dec 4, 2014.

1. alm99, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

alm99 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    Need some suggestions.

I am looking at getting an iPad mini for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas. Originally I was looking at getting an iPod Touch, but with the cost of the original iPad Mini being about the same I thought why not get the bigger screen.

I picked up the iPad mini Retina when it was $225 over the Thanksgiving weekend for her, but with the original Mini routinely being $199 and I that I now have a $100 GC for BB from an iPhone trade in, I thought I might use towards the purchase of the original Mini saving me $125.

Thoughts? For an 11 year old, would you keep the Mini w/Retina or go for the original Mini? It will only be used for music, movies, and games.

EDIT: Keeping the retina

2. Closingracer macrumors 68030

For movies and games I would keep the retina . Plus the retina will last longer spec wise because it's the same as last years top specs the A7 while the mini OG has e specs of the iPad 2 which is the A5 I think ?

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I would keep the Retina. She's going to spend a lot of time on it so it'll be better on her eyes.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Retina.

As even the Apple Store employees have said in my hearing more than once this year, the original Mini is equivalent to an iPad 2 in terms of specs. The rMini is equivalent to an 5th generation iPad (iPad Air). Saving an extra $100 or so would be foolish--the rMini will be good for a number of years yet, most likely, while the original was already bogged down noticeably by iOS 7 and even worse by iOS 8.

Having used both on a daily basis, there's a BIG performance difference in even casual gaming. Skip the original, keep the retina.

5. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

6. iF34R macrumors 65816

iF34R

Mini 2. I wouldn't go back to legacy devices.

7. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

If you love her, you'll keep the retina. LOL, just kidding.

We have one a mini retina and the original mini.
    The retina is definitely the way to go, especially with IOS8.

I would suggest using the gift card to get a nice bulletproof case for her.

8. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Retina. Also iPad mini 2 has a processor two generations younger than mini 1 (a7 vs a5). In the mini line, the 2 is definitely best value as it offers same internals of mini 3 but lower price tag, and you already hot a great $75 off on it

Wrap it up and put it under the tree, you're a great parent!

9. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Most everyone on this forum is biased towards the latest tech, and it is true that the retina iPad mini is technically "better value" for the hardware. But the term "better value" is relative, and different for everyone. It depends on the customer's needs and their budget.

The retina screen on the iPad mini makes barely any difference in movies, music, and games. Where it makes a difference is in reading small text. The performance difference doesn't matter for movies and music one bit. And for gaming: the original mini runs 99% of apps and games.

Every iPad that Apple sells can complete every task you expect. For most consumers, iPads are 'toys' - unnecessary 'wants.' For computing tasks: a laptop does better, with a bigger screen and keyboard. For tasks on the go: a smartphone does better, you can easily put it in a pocket or carry it anywhere. Since it is an unneeded item, and every iPad being sold can carry out the same functions, you should get the least expensive one.

You should save money and buy the original iPad mini: It will perfectly perform your needed tasks, and it is less expensive.

10. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I got the 6 plus so I could skip getting an iPad mini retina, but it is still possible next year. If I upgrade, the retina is the way to go. I wouldn't put out another 100 on touch ID though. I personally think thats a waste.
    With that saying, I did get the original iPad mini for my fiancee's boy and he is stuck on it like glue. He is 7 now.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68030

While that is true I would still get the mini 3 for Touch ID lol. I am so used to it with my air 2 that I would just be holding my finger there expecting it to work lol

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes but how much longer will it be supported by iOS? I see all A5 devices being dropped from sale as soon as March of 2015, at the latest by Oct of 2015 and no longer supported after iOS 8. The reason I say that it because the A5 chip in the iPad mini 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 4s and iPod touch 5th Gen is already struggling. While the iPad mini only came out 2 years ago, the tech inside launched with the iPad 2 in early 2011.

To most, it would be worth it to get the mini 2. At retail, it costs an extra $50 and is an amazing upgrade from the mini 1. The tech inside is only 1 year old, and is ARM64. The other thing to keep in mind besides the 64-bit architecture is the 400MHz speed increase and double the RAM.

13. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

To most, the small performance reduction caused by software updates is not noticeable.

To most, adding a retina display to an iPad that you hold aways from your face does not make a difference in gaming, movies, and music.

To most, the speed of A5 powered devices are perfectly ok.

For the retina iPad mini, the 64bit architecture and 4x pixels take up most of that additional 500 MB of RAM.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Trust me, it is. When I had my original mini going from iOS 6 to 7 slowed it down. I have also seen iOS 8 on the 4s and compared to how it used to run, it's pretty damn slow.

Never once did I mention the Retina display in my post did I? For this very reason: it's nice but it doesn't matter.

For some yes, maybe. However when it starts struggling to email like the original iPad on iOS 5 and is no longer receiving updates, don't come crying here on MR how Apple is "so unfair".

That's funny since my Retina mini actually breathed a lot better on 1GB of RAM then my mini 1 on 512MB of RAM.

15. mangomind, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

You, like me, notice these differences. Most people don't, and these differences don't matter for them.

Edit: FYI the A5 chip won't ever struggle with email, it'll always be powerful enough.

16. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I generally agree with statements like that, but in this particular case (two generations younger) and an OS that had a major redesign, an end use will notice, not just apps pages loading faster but less hangs.

17. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

You've got to look at the big picture.
    So what if it takes a quarter second faster to open the videos app and start a 2hr movie.
    And if it takes a tenth second faster to open the music app to play music.
    And if it takes a couple seconds faster to open a game to play for 15 min.

18. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

The retina Will last her for years to come. The first generation iPad mini will struggle. I think youve seen this recommendation enough to possibly listen. hopefully you do! she's 11 she's not a young child.

19. alm99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all, keeping the retina. I had the same concerns with internals. Now to take the $100 BB card and get an otterbox or life proof case for it.

20. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

They both will last for many years to come. The design quality of Apple products did not change from 2012 to 2013.

The original mini will never struggle with playing music, videos, or games. You are pulling that out of thin air. The only possible issue about the original mini is that it won't play 1% of intensive games.

More important than recommendations, I have tested firsthand the original mini vs the mini 2. And I have surveyed firsthand people's experiences with these devices. Both devices do 99% of what most people want iPads to do. The issue that matters is price.

How does one's age have anything to do with any of this? I have gotten feedback from people anywhere from 10 years old to 80 years old that own and have used both an A5 device and an A7 device, and the response has always been this: The speed difference so small that it doesn't matter. Can't tell a noticeable and worthwhile difference in speed. I have the money to get either device, but since the less expensive iPad performs just as well as the more expensive one, the less expensive one is better value.

21. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Yours personal tests are simply your personal tests. I've used both devices. This forum is a wonderful compilation of personal opinions. I've stated mine, you are allowed to state yours. There is no need to attack anyone elses opinion because they are not the same as yours.
    I stand by my original recommendation. The Mini Retina out preforms the original Mini in my real life use. And if the 11 year old uses some of the more intense programs in her school work or her ambitions, the retina version will be a better choice for her. IMO

22. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Thats what they said when the original iPad launched with the A4 and iOS 3.1. Now look where it is. It struggles to do anything.

It may not struggle with Music and Videos, but considering that apps are always being updated and changes are being made to the code, its way more then likely that not just games, but lots of apps will not run or if they do they will be as slow as molasses. Its the natural progression of software and hardware.

If you want to sit here and argue that "This would never happen, Apple would never do that" I would like to point your attention to the iPhone 3G and iPad 1st Gen.

The A5 devices already got a major slow down with iOS 8. How much worse does it need to get?

23. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

The iPhone 3G and iPad 1st gen with the A4 processor are in a different league than the A5+ chips. The processor has just one core, and it contains slow DDR RAM. 1 core has to run one app and the springboard and other tasks like iCloud syncing.
    The dual core A5 chip, and the chips after that, are solid CPUs. They have 2 cores, and at least DDR2 RAM. This matches PC specs. A5 devices will last a very long time, similar to how Windows XP PCs will always be powerful enough.

24. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Lol that's funny ..didn't the iPhone 4S outright struggle with iOS 8 ?

25. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Do,yourself a favor and go with the mini 2. The CPU is two generations older and will last much longer than the original. The original is already out of date and should avoid being upgraded to the latest iOS. If you want the biggest bang for the buck, the mini 2 has to be the answer.