Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of CNET, but I think they're fairly unbiased when it comes to reviews. They just did a comparison of the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 won in almost every category and completely destroyed the iPad Mini. It is also $100 less. IMO, Apple needs to wake up and start making better decisions or they will go the way of the BlackBerry. For example, forcing everybody to use Apple Maps? Now, Google Maps is a huge selling point for their primary competitor, the Nexus 7. What a dumb business decision! Anyway, here is the review if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWql_q04f0&list=TLSprATgPO8ug

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of CNET, but I think they're fairly unbiased when it comes to reviews. They just did a comparison of the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 won in almost every category and completely destroyed the iPad Mini. It is also $100 less. IMO, Apple needs to wake up and start making better decisions or they will go the way of the BlackBerry. For example, forcing everybody to use Apple Maps? Now, Google Maps is a huge selling point for their primary competitor, the Nexus 7. What a dumb business decision! Anyway, here is the review if anyone is interested:

But will the nexus 7 sell? How many are willing to give up the apple ecosystem? Will this device be supported when google drops android? I have google maps on my iPhone. There not that dumb they make the most profits in the industry. They have the most web useage in the industry. Where exactly is apple failing?specks and gimmicks, but who wants or needs them.

Aug 26, 2008
I have the iPad 4 and the new Nexus 7 and...

My iPad 4 sits in it's bag. And I have iOS 7 on it. iOS 7 just brings nothing at all. It's a new splash of ugly paint. Apple is simply getting smeared by Google these days, and the gap seems to STILL be widening, which is scary for Apple.

The new Nexus 7 is so good. Makes me actually look forward to the new Nexus 10. The iPad just feels so ancient these days.

----------

But will the nexus 7 sell? How many are willing to give up the apple ecosystem? Will this device be supported when google drops android? I have google maps on my iPhone. There not that dumb they make the most profits in the industry. They have the most web useage in the industry. Where exactly is apple failing?specks and gimmicks, but who wants or needs them.

Hardware, software and value.

----------

Yes, and this should be posted in the Alternatives Forum. Oh and by the way, way to go on posting a comparison between a 3 year old hardware vs new hardware.

The iPad mini came out nine months ago.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
That's cool. Still love my iPad mini and wouldn't even think about doing the Nexus. The overall experience of the iPad is still unparalleled IMO...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have the original Nexus 7 and a Mini. I prefer my Mini even though the N7 has a better display, it doesn't matter when the app quality is so much better on iOS.

I'm talking about running many of the same apps on the Nexus 7 and the Mini. The iOS version is a tablet version where as the Android version is simply a phone version scaled up.

I don't care about speed or anything else. It's all about the apps and what I can do with my mini. Not to mention that I also prefer iTunes Match over Google Music and I have over 5,000 TV shows and over 200 movies purchased in iTunes that I can sync.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I watched the YouTube video today, and Brian said the Nexus' do NOT make it faster than the Mini. After watching the video, I began to wonder if my car's windshield would be better if its size was reduced 33%. That's what you're getting with these 7" Android tabs, but if that's your thing, enjoy. Cnet also added a 6th round for "value" in that prizefight, and of course the sold at cost Nexus won. Cnet has all sort of funny ideas about products, and proclaimed the first Nexus 7 a brilliant bit of engineering as well.....

P.S. I came to Apple products recently, and had lots of Android tablets. I don't miss that hodgepodge system one bit, and can afford an extra $100 for the Mini. If you can't, that's certainly understandable, but buying a new tablet every year cab cost more.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Google trumped Apple when they released the ever so excellent Nexus 7.2.

Being the quick thinkers & master manipulators of the press & their public image, Apple whispered to Uncle Walt at the Wall St Journal. The next thing you know they printed a "rumor" that Apple did a 180 and was planning on releasing a Retina iPad mini after all.

Well you can guess what happened next. Most of the believers that had read about Apple holding the retina mini back until after iPad 5, and were about to try a Nexus, now have a reason to wait.

Well played Apple. One more example of the power they wield.

----------

I don't miss that hodgepodge system one bit, and can afford an extra $100 for the Mini. If you can't, that's certainly understandable, but buying a new tablet every year cab cost more.
Instead of making the effort to spread FUD... Why not simply be honest and admit Apple is the best for you. You'd have more credibility that way. Those of us who use both, and appreciate each for their strengths can spot FUD, from miles away.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
As good as nexus 7 fhd is, when ipad mini retina releases, it will be the best tablet on earth . There is nothing like ios on tablets. I dont find android very appealing on tabs .

Thought of going for new nexus 7 , but now will wait for retina mini.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I wouldn't want Ipad mini retina if it make the device 50% heavier. I much prefer lookable screen but 1 GB ram please. Those screen refeshing all the time like Ipad 2 is not nice.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
That's cool. Still love my iPad mini and wouldn't even think about doing the Nexus. The overall experience of the iPad is still unparalleled IMO...

+1

I love my Mini and don't notice a huge difference in screens. In fact I went from an iPad 3 to a Mini. Didn't notice any difference. I love my Mini. Not an Android fan.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have about $200 invested in iPad apps (not games, actual apps, and not social networking, eBay, Netflix, etc), and I use them everyday. The Nexus 7 might have better specs, but the ecosystem still rules on iOS. And my iPad Mini will last me probably about 5 years before I decide to upgrade. Just like my iPhone 2G lasted me until iPhone 4.

Don't tell me that a Nexus 7 preforms better when it doesn't have 99% of the apps the iPad has to even compare it to.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Yes, and this should be posted in the Alternatives Forum. Oh and by the way, way to go on posting a comparison between a 3 year old hardware vs new hardware.

+1. totally agree.

----------

I have about $200 invested in iPad apps (not games, actual apps, and not social networking, eBay, Netflix, etc), and I use them everyday. The Nexus 7 might have better specs, but the ecosystem still rules on iOS. And my iPad Mini will last me probably about 5 years before I decide to upgrade. Just like my iPhone 2G lasted me until iPhone 4.

Don't tell me that a Nexus 7 preforms better when it doesn't have 99% of the apps the iPad has to even compare it to.

+1. used a Google Nexus 7 for a week and dumped it for an Ipad Mini. couldn't be happier. i have an Iphone, a MacBook Pro, Ipad Mini and my daughter has Iphone 5, Macbook Pro and a Retina Ipad 3. my wife has an Iphone 4S. hmmm i am not an apple fan boy. i just loved Apple products for it's excellent UI, ecosystem, it's OS and built quality.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
way to go on posting a comparison between a 3 year old hardware vs new hardware.

And whose fault is that? ;)

----------

Interesting thread.

Try to imagine if the roles were reversed. Imagine if Apple was putting out a retina iPad Mini with a modern processor (even kept the same price) and Google/ASUS was putting out years-old processors and didn't have a higher resolution display...

Can you imagine how different some of these posts would be? I wonder. :D

But kudos to those sticking with the Mini (I mean it). Even I am not convinced the Android-tablet experience is quite there yet. Android on the tablet just doesn't feel as buttoned up as Android on a smartphone.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I think these guys spent more time in the app switcher in just the video than I think I've spend in the a few months of use.

The the review seemed to target video media consumption as the primary use target. With that use profile then Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini was pretty close match to start with.

They don't really look at apps or the eco system. Which would pull the mini ahead.

They really don't look at the devices as paper or lite laptop replacement tools. I mean fair enough how do you make a good video out of that. Oh and would make it no contest in favor of the mini, well to me at least.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
It's incredible how some people like to drink Apple branded Kool-Aide. Check what CPU/chipset the iPad mini runs and then come back and check your statement.

A5 32nm in the mini is about 9months old.
A5 45nm is just short of two years.

Not sure how you get 3 years?

Then again the Snapdragon in the Nexus 7 was released 2012 not really a spring chicken either.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
IMO, Apple needs to wake up and start making better decisions or they will go the way of the BlackBerry. For example, forcing everybody to use Apple Maps? Now, Google Maps is a huge selling point for their primary competitor, the Nexus 7.

Its almost as if Google Maps and Google Now are unavailable on iOS.. Oh wait - they are on iOS !!!

But its not as if Chrome on iOS is more often superior to Chrome on an Android device.. oh wait it is !!!

But Gmail, Hangouts, Google +, I can't get them on iOS can I ? Oh wait....

And on the other side...

Well at least on Android I can mirror my content to my Apple TV, access my music iTunes Match, utilise iMessaging, use Safari if I prefer it over Chrome, etc... .. Oh wait; I can not ...

The Nexus 7 is the best bang for buck Android tablet undoubtably, but its also quite telling that it has taken massive CPU and Ram differences to get Android to the point where it appears as generally responsive and snappy as iOS on undoubtably far weaker hardware (benchmark wise).

With iOS you still get a better app selection especially tablet orientated wise, and with iOS you can actually get the best of both worlds when it comes to accessing Google Applications / Services and iOS....

Now yes Apple's apps and services not being available on Android is not Google fault, but Apple's choice - but the point I am making is that with iOS tablet you do have access to nearly all Androids main applications / services - but not the other way round.

Now I've ordered a Nexus 7 16gb to mess around with, and undoubtably its going to be a great success - it still remains that on tablets at least iOS is still generally a better experience third party app wise... And with access to most of Googles prine services (except marketplace content) it offers arguably more versatility content wise, than the other way round.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Oh. One of these. Better go make some popcorn.

The only edge my iPads have over my Android tablets is the apps. And Android is quickly catching up faster than I think most people realize. They're not there yet but they're a lot further than they were just a year ago when the first nexus 7 came out. It will still be a while before Android reaches the iPad level of apps. Especially the more niche ones. But they're getting there. The 4:3 aspect ratio is also better for everything except watching movies. Aside from the shrinking differences in app selection the ecosystems are roughly equal. They both trade blows.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Lets face it, most tablets are used for surfing the internet, checking Facebook, Twitter, news apps and a bit of email. Most tablets out there do all that, but its down to have well they do it and how pleasant the experience is. Sure the iPad is more money, but its still a lot nicer to use than the Nexus 7 in my opinion, and millions of other people who have bought them. Those who prefer the Nexus have the choice to buy whatever they like. That's the good thing about freedom.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Oh. One of these. Better go make some popcorn.

The only edge my iPads have over my Android tablets is the apps. And Android is quickly catching up faster than I think most people realize. They're not there yet but they're a lot further than they were just a year ago when the first nexus 7 came out. It will still be a while before Android reaches the iPad level of apps. Especially the more niche ones. But they're getting there. The 4:3 aspect ratio is also better for everything except watching movies. Aside from the shrinking differences in app selection the ecosystems are roughly equal. They both trade blows.

I have not seen that in the six months that I have owned a Nexus 7.

One of the first things I did upon setting up my Nexus 7 was to download the apps that I had seen over the last year that had apps designed for use on an iPad on the iOS side. How disappointing it was to download those apps on my Nexus 7 to realize that they weren't designed for the tablet on the Android side.

None of those apps to this day have tablet versions and many of them have had app updates on the Android side during those six months yet none of those updates include a tablet version.

I've been taking both my Nexus 7 and my iPad Mini to work with me but the one that I have been using is the Mini. Thinking of just leaving the N7 at home from now on because there isn't anything that I can do on the N7 that I can't do on my Mini and I have better versions of the apps on the Mini.

I hear people saying that we should look for alternatives to those apps then if there are no tablet versions of our current apps. Some of my apps are local such as the 9News app. There is no alternative to that app. The difference in that app is night and day just as the difference in the AP news app on the iPad is night and day compared to the Android version. Go look at it for those who have both tablets. Oh wait, it's not a tablet version on the Android but a scaled up phone version, boring and in the typical list style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.