iPad mini in September/October.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NbinHD, Jun 29, 2012.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Does anyone think we will see the release of a iPad mini in September/October along with the iPhone 5? Apples competitor of the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab 7. If you do think we will possibly see it, what would you like to see and/or think we will see?

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I was thinking that perhaps Apple would come out with an iPad mini but after the Google Nexus 7 release I don't think they will. There is no way they can beat the $199 price of the Nexus 7 and at that price point people are buying based solely on price and not for the other reasons people might buy an iPad. I just don't think Apple wants to get in a low price war with anyone. That is just not their history. Apple is more into building quality products and the infrastructure around them. I just don't think we'll see an iPad mini.

Having said that, I will probably buy a Nexus 7 to supplement my iPad for reading eBooks. At $200, it is in the price area that I don't feel like I have spend a lot of time justifying the purchase and I've been wanting a smaller device than my iPad for reading. I'll still use my iPad for browsing the web, email, working on documents and watching videos.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

I can't see Apple getting into this market. There's little to no profit margins in the Tablet sector. The Google Nexus 7 at $249 for a $16GB storage with a $25 credit towards purchases is tough to beat.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is indeed a key point.
    At this price level there WILL be a percentage of iPad users who will buy one of these devices from Google to given them a small form factor option.

Plus, lest we, on techy forums forgets, the vast and I mean VAST majority of people don't have tablets, and also for a lot of people the iPad's price, especially for kids or multiple units in the household is just a non starter.

There is a massive market for a more big name affordable tablet, far larger than current iPad numbers of users.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

This sums it up best regarding the 7" Tablet space: ;)

"The fact is, the 7-inch sector of the tablet space is being hit hard by devices that are both smaller and larger. The smaller devices are popular smartphones like Apple’s iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S III. On the higher-end side, products like Apple’s iPad and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 are attracting plenty of buyers. Simply put, 7-inch slates are in no man’s land and the Nexus 7 will suffer from that."

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and...s-In-Danger-of-Failure-10-Reasons-Why-573051/

6. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

that article is largely a joke, only a small part of it is actually valid and factual.

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I found this on apple news and yes i know it's a rumor.

Accord*ing to a Chi*nese news*pa*per that goes by the name ‘Apple Daily’,*a new iPad will be launched by the end of the sum*mer. And while this prob*a*bly isn’t the 7 inch iPad we’ve all been wait*ing for, if released, it could stir up the tablet mar*ket. This new iPad is sup*posed to fea*ture a thin*ner design, bet*ter bat*tery and a even bet*ter screen. The new screen is also sup*posed to fea*ture*indi*um gal*li*um zinc oxide (IGZO) panel tech*nol*o*gy which would allow for these changes. Apple Daily has also report*ed that Apple will switch dis*play man*u*fac*tur*ers from Sam*sung to Sharp.

I’m not total*ly sure if I believe this rumor, as the cur*rent iPad was only intro*duced a few months back. If this iPad was indeed intro*duced, we def*i*nite*ly see it being intro*duced along*side the new iPhone and pos*si*bly small*er iPad in the August to Octo*ber time*frame. Remem*ber, these are only rumors until we hear it from Cuper*ti*no, so don’t sell your cur*rent iPad just yet!

Before we sign off for this arti*cle, what do you think about a new iPad being*intro*duced*before the end of the year? Would you buy it, or would you stick with your cur*rent iPad? Let us know in the com*ments.

8. poloponies, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

poloponies macrumors 68030

They're only competitors if the purchasers of those devices were otherwise prepared to purchase iPads. Just because someone buys a $200 tablet doesn't mean they were potential iPad buyers. It's a new and growing market, there's room for all players at all price points.

It's like saying Steak & Shake is stealing customers from [insert name of your local high-end steakhouse here].

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

apple would kill their ipod touch sales if they did.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The only way Apple would release an iPad that soon is if it were an iPad mini. That article is a joke, like most Apple rumors tend to be.

11. chdwil macrumors regular

iPod touch sales have been killed by the iPhone.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Life without an iPad? Those poor people.

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

the ipod touch was released after the iphone :rolleyes:

14. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Irrelevant. iPod touch sales are dwindling more each year, as the functionality is replaced by that of the iPhone, especially considering the low price point of an iPhone.

If Apple can use their supply chain to beat the cost of the Nexus 7 - and from what I've read, Google is selling it at cost - I don't think they'd think twice about releasing an iPad Mini, regardless of the effect on their other lines. If you're buying a iPad Mini, you aren't buying a Fire or a Nexus 7, and that's all that matters to Apple....

15. BFizzzle, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i just dont see apple selling a tablet priced in the $199-299 range as people on here are speculating. Apple has an entire product line, not just ios devices, that have high profit margins for the hardware, which is one of the main factors as to why they are the wealthiest company on earth.

im not saying i wouldnt enjoy a 7" ipad. Id much rather have spent $299 than $599 on my ipad.. im just saying i doubt apple will release one. They are confident that iOS is much better than any other os, despite the hardware cost

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well. If we thing about this logically and rationally for a moment.

Apple has Laptops with different screen sizes, specs at different price points.

Apple has desktops with different screen sizes, specs at different price points.

Apple even has music players with different specs at different price points.

I don't see why some here think it would be beyond belief that they should in time do the same with tablets.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

You already know the answer. Apple has never tried to compete at the bargain-price level. When every computer manufacturer came out with $399 & $499 systems, Apple stood their pricing ground.

Same was true when every PC company released $388 & $499 netbooks.

Nobody at the $199-$299 level is making money, they're just trying to get market attention.

That;s not really a long-term business plan.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Note: I did not say they have to be cheap, just that, like their laptops and desktop's Apple could offer alternatives.

Myself, and I've been saying this since day 1 of the iPad1 launch, would like a larger tablet for Entertainment and Media use.

Other may wish a small one hand device.

I'm willing to accept that not everyone wants the same thing.

19. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

If apple did come out with an iPad mini it wouldn't be retina display, can you now revert back to the pixelated screen just for a smaller device?

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

Keep in mind you can get away with lower res with a smaller screen. The Kindle Fire at 1024x600 looks pretty good and jaggies aren't that noticeable because of the smaller screen.

IF Apple decided to do an iPad Mini it would probably be 1280x800 and that's pretty tight for such a small screen.

21. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Why wouldn't it have a retina screen?

22. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Due to the fact of the pricing war in 7 inch tablets with costs.

23. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I think if Apple wanted to, they could. People seem to be forgetting that Apple are masters when it comes to negotiating the best possible deals with their suppliers, which is why their margins are what they are. Would Apple have to match Google on price, though?

24. Carouser, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

Carouser macrumors 65816

they already do have tablets with different specs at different price points, you've been told this several times

and they already have multiple screen sizes for their touchscreen devices

and nobody has said "it is beyond belief that some time in Piggie's hypothetical and endlessly vague future Apple might offer another size of touchscreen device"

you are the absolute worst

me too, which is why instead of crying over Apple not pandering to my every whim as though they are obliged to do so, I recognize that there are many companies out there making various products, which is a good thing, and I recommend that people simply buy what they get the most value out of

you're right, if we only think rationally and logically for a moment, the merit of your arguments becomes evident

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Low price point? Only under contract, which is not something they do in every country, and only when you disregard how much you're going to end up paying for that contract. Even the minimum mandatory data plans they put on smartphones in the US alone will at least double your long term investment.