All iPads iPad Mini is what the iPad should've been. What do you use it for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DyslexicKobe, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DyslexicKobe macrumors newbie

Regardless to what your presence is, realistically the iPad mini is that perfect in between point for those who are mobile. Personally, I have a 15" retina MacBook and an iPhone 5. I've had each generation iPad --excluding the iPad 4. When I purchased the MacBook, I realized that my iPad 3 started gaining dust. I realized that when it came to portability I used my iPhone for work and when it came to heavy use I used my MacBook. So I decided to sell my iPad 3. After a few months I realized I felt like there was a 'void' between the usage between my two products. Sometimes when I was just trying to be a 'bum' the iPhone screen wasn't big enough to browse the web, and the MacBook just was two cumbersome to have by me all the time. I've realized that the iPad mini fit perfectly in the middle. What's your opinion and if you have an iPad what's the biggest impact it has on your life and what it adds to your productivity ?

For those who will respond with negative comments, save those for other questions... My question is for those who use multiple products and to see how they effectively use there products in their everyday lives.

2. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Thats your opinion alone and it doesn't justify that Ipad mini is what Ipad should have been.

3. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

I used the iPad 2 more often than my Mac Air, but not really long sessions and not even with gaming. Then the mini came into my life and now there is no evening without it for several hours. Thats the device I now bring to friends, log on their WIFI and browse or show photos. I am also playing games much more now, 2D shooters like "iFighter 2" are great on the screen and Real Racing 2 now got me. My 4S is used as a phone now, getting dust on web-traffic and I am for that reason also not interest in the iPhone 5 (or 5S if screen is like 5) The mini is so wonderful to hold and look at, very happy with it.

4. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Not everyone will agree with the OP, but I do. The full sized iPad is just a little too big to be truly mobile. The mini I can take anywhere. Mix that with LTE speeds and you have a pretty awesome mobile device capable of anything.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

May I ask how you transport it to make it more mobile? In a bag or in the hand I can't say neither would be less mobile for me, and neither will fit in any pocket I have.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For me, the mini screen is a tad too small to use comfortably, both in terms of text being a bit too small to see comfortably, and the tap targets being a bit smaller so I keep missing them. Yes, the mini is lighter and more portable, so I've been using it as my "going out" device. But at home, I mostly use my iPad 3. I'll definitely be getting the iPad 5 when it comes out, but I'm not sure about the mini2. If the iPad 5 is light enough, I might very well just stick to the full size line in the future.

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have the iPad 4 and the Mini. The iPad mini sits on the coffee table for everyone else to use, I don't like it at all.

For my needs the mini screen is too small to do anything productive on. If one can carry the mini then they can certainly carry the full-size iPad unless maybe women who carry small purses.

Different needs warrant different products .... To say the mini is what the iPad should've been is true maybe for your needs, but don't forget about the rest of the world.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. OP don't make the mistake of thinking that your wants and needs match everybody else's wants and needs.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I often carry my iPad mini in my inside coat pocket. At least until it gets warmer. :)

I'd imagine the iPad mini size is especially convenient for doctors. It would fit conveniently into their white coat pockets.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

If the iPad Mini came first then people would say the same thing about the big iPad. A lot of people simply get excited about change of any sort.

11. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I use my ipad mini as little as possible, and probably will sell it. There's something about it that turns me off. I use my ipad 3 more along with my iPod touch 5 and even more my nexus 7. I'll probably sell my ipad 3 for a nexus 10 and keep the iPod touch 5 -- really love for carrying around, with the nexus 7 for commutes etc. I can see the mini being really popular for anyone who never owned a tablet. I probably would have fallen into that category. But experiencing other tablets. I don't feel it rates high. My wife has an ipad 3 and a mini and likes the mini for watching TV, movies anc listening to music while she works.

12. darngooddesign, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's purely subjective.

I picked one up to try and while I like it, I in no way feel that it's what the iPad should have been. I feel that its more convenient size comes with the negative of a more cramped screen; however, that will probably change a little as i get used to it.

But to answer your question, I use it for everything I use my laptop for minus programming, design work, and managing my photos and music.

13. bigboar macrumors 6502

how about the mini could have been what the ipad is? I returned mine and got the 4..wow what a difference! I just find it such a shame that I can read text better on my little iphone 5 than I could on the mini...when the mini gets released with retina I could easily change my mind but the way it is currently there is no way....just my opinion, I am not bashing mini owners as I can understand how for some the form factor out weighs everything else...

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Yes, you can read 6 pt type on an iPhone 5 better. However, on an iPad mini, you don't need to read 6 pt type! :)

Obviously, retina will be great for the iPad mini. But legibility issues are overblown.

15. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I can end this iPad v iPad Mini debate in one phrase: "Different strokes for different folks"

/sunglasses

Deal with it!

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

So you just want to hear from folks that agree with your OPINION.

Too bad.

I don't agree that it is perfect and now the iPad always should have been done. Even with a laptop, which is too clumsy for some of my needs, the Mini is too small. So the full sized iPad is perfect. I'm sure there are others in similar situations.

Yeah that the Mini is just what you need but it doesn't give you the right to denigration those that don't agree with you or tell us to shut up.

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

You must have bigger coat pockets than I do because it would not fit in mine good at all :p. Once it get's warmer it def won't fit in my jacket as you said. That's what made me get the iPad 4, in my hand or my bag I won't notice too much of a difference between the 4 and the mini.

18. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

I think the mini will become the default pad size, but that the larger ipad will continue to have a large following. Personally I have both and use them for different things. I think that consumersand manufacturers are not yet comfortable with a "many device" paradigm--so there is still interest in hybridization. But idevices are cheap and there is not much penalty to having one for the sofa, one for work, etc.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Try to use iPad mini to read PDF / magazines made for letter size paper.

Also racing games are more immersive on a regular iPad.

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I do that regularly. What's your point?

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There's no need to constantly scroll on the regular iPad to read PDF books.

22. bigboar macrumors 6502

how so?

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I rarely need to zoom in on a 8.5"x11" PDF in protrait mode if that is what you are implying.

But again, what point are you trying to make? (I'm asking out of curiosity, not being flippant. :)) Yes, the iPad mini is smaller than the iPad. And any fixed layout document will have proportionally small text. You will need to zoom in more often.

----------

Sorry, I meant that practically, not literally. If you take the same view that you are referencing on the iPhone 5 and blow it up to the iPad mini, the font size will obviously be bigger. Hope that makes sense!

24. kelub macrumors regular

I have a work-issued iPad 2, but they're letting me test an iPad Mini (at my request). I've had it for about 2 weeks now.

I honestly can't decide. I love the weight of the mini. I've been using it for my Kindle reading (much much easier to hold, great size for ereader) and for general purpose use. Haven't tested it much for work stuff (ha!) but would imagine that the larger screen of the iPad would always win out when it comes to remote desktop work. I need to test it though to see if it's really that much of a hindrance. As far as note taking etc goes, I don't know it really matters. I've used the iPad 2 for note taking because I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard case for it, but I'd like to connect a bluetooth keyboard to the mini and try note taking on it too. I can't imagine it'd really be a problem - typing text onto a screen is typing text onto a screen.

As far as just the aesthetics are concerned... I have to agree that the mini is just easier to handle. I do like the size. I'm not a retina display snob (since I'm still using an iPad 2 anyway) so to me the mini is more crisp than the larger version. It seems to be a more natural "evolution" from the iPhone 5, and is less gangly for casual use. I've played games on it, watched movies on it, and as mentioned, read books on it, and I can't say I've once said "man I wish I was doing this on a slightly bigger screen." the weight and ease of holding the device far outweighed the size difference.

Naturally, YMMV.

25. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Being a Mini owner, I totally agree. The size of my mini is very nice, but since I carry it around campus in my backpack, a full size iPad would have no problem fitting.