Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
the screen is fine... get over it

Nope, it's a pixelated mess with the contrast and color gamut of a cheap Chinese craplet. :)

Well, maybe not that bad but certainly below the Apple standard of previous displays.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Just bought a black 64gb mini!!!:D
Going from a iPad 2 to a mini shouldn't be too hard. My only problem is going to be keeping my wife away from it.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
My wife has decided to swap her 3 for a mini. I spent about an hour last night with it, babysitting it while it restored from her old iPad's backup and so on. We anticipate being able to eBay her old iPad to recoup the cost of the mini, making it, more or less, a wash.

Having spent some quality time with it, I can see the difference in the screen resolution. It doesn't bother me too terribly much, but I do believe that at the end of the day, I'd rather stick with my "big" iPad. I don't use it much, but when I do use it, the bigger screen - which makes for a bigger on-screen keyboard - and the retina display are appreciated, and I don't mind the extra weight, being the manly man I am. :)

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I believe Apple has discovered something with the iPad mini. There's more to products than their specs.

Today I visited my local Apple Store and saw the iPad mini in person for the first time. Totally convinced me that I want one. Size is perfect. Screen looks great. Camera looks great. I forgot to try to keyboard, but with voice to text and Siri it might not matter.

Before I was relying solely on the "disappointing specs."

It was impressive. Apple will sell millions, no doubt.

Go see one yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Yes I saw it yesterday for the first time and it looks great.Sticking with my gen3 though.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
the screen is fine... get over it

I did get over it – right over to the iPad 4, which I bought, because the Retina screen was more important to ME than the Mini's smaller size and lighter weight, and the device met MY needs better.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I've come to two possible conclusions:

A) people must be trying to use it while its still in that clear plastic thing.

or

B) a different manufacture supplied their panel.

I going with A. Definitely A.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
While the analogy is a tad harsh, it's very, VERY difficult to go from a retina display to the mini - for SOME people. I happen to be one of those people. The mini's display is very, very dated, which is a shame.

Apple is clearly using the mini as a test for what's to come. A retina-display mini will be an insta-buy for me, at any "reasonable" price.

Honestly, I switch between my iPhone 5 and mini all the time and have no issues. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the iPhone 5 is more Retina than your iPad 4.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'm typing this from my mini, love th e size, that's about it though. Too spoiled by retina to wanna keep it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The sad part is that many people don't seem to care about screen quality. We saw that with android phones with the bigger lesser quality screens (though they're improving and should surpass the iphone in volume and quality next year). We see it now with the Mini.

The refrain seems to be "I don't care if the screen is crap, i can bring it everywhere and love the size of the Mini." Then there are the unwashed who think the screen is great and don't know any better. Ignorance is bliss? Even worse are the ones who know better but still can't seem to see the difference in quality. These are the ones who can't claim ignorance.

There's those who love the Surface RT (for whatever reason) seem oblivious to its crap screen.

I've seen a lot of people over the years with HDTVs but too cheap to pay for HD content or don't know any better. People with "retina" ipads but running low res content.

It's a stupid world in some ways.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
2 years ago there was no such thing as Retina screens, and now nobody can live with it! Funny!

I have an iPad 3, love it, gave it to wife because I ordered an iPad mini and a 4 for me.....kept the 4 new in the box so far, the Mini is awesome...yea the screen isn't retina, but there is a lot of exaggerating on this forum....its certainly not that bad....and much much more portable.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah I agree one needs to really see it to like it.

I've seen it in the store, but I've had this attitude this thing is too small and whatnot.

My dad wanted one, so I ordered on for him. Shipped to us yesterday and played with it for an hour or so. I liked it enough I'm selling my iPad 3 and replacing it with an iPad mini.

PureComplexity

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
The sad part is that many people don't seem to care about screen quality. We saw that with android phones with the bigger lesser quality screens (though they're improving and should surpass the iphone in volume and quality next year). We see it now with the Mini.

Android devices have made incredible strides in the quality of their displays, and have surpassed the iPhone for some time after the release of the 4S. One easy example is the One X, which did, and does, reign supreme as the best smartphone display to many [The Verge][Gizmodo][Anandtech]. In terms of color reproduction and contrast, Android devices with IPS displays, 300+ ppi, higher contrast and better color reproduction have been superior to the iPhone for quite a while.

However, the introduction of the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 has once again brought Apple closer to the throne of mobile displays.

rprr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012

The refrain seems to be "I don't care if the screen is crap, i can bring it everywhere and love the size of the Mini." Then there are the unwashed who think the screen is great and don't know any better. Ignorance is bliss? Even worse are the ones who know better but still can't seem to see the difference in quality. These are the ones who can't claim ignorance.

There's those who love the Surface RT (for whatever reason) seem oblivious to its crap screen.

I've seen a lot of people over the years with HDTVs but too cheap to pay for HD content or don't know any better. People with "retina" ipads but running low res content.

I would love an iPad mini with A8 processor, retina display with 326 ppi and a 20 hour battery life but sadly ...

33us50n.jpg

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
It's not a pixelated mess. It's just not full Retina resolution. But it's better than your laptop. It's better than 'just fine'. It's awesome, if you aren't an overly picky, OCD freak. My very balanced wife loves hers.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

Then there are posts that are nothing more than insults.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not use to Apple Retina displays but I have andriod devices that have a better one than the Mini.

Bottom line is those andriods aren't able to access the Apple ecosystem and I didn't want to pay more for the iPad3 or Ipad4 AND have the extra weight and size. So bang for buck, the Mini be it!!!!

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Saw it in person last week. Size and weight are fantastic.

But that screen. I can say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, reading on that screen is like trying to read through a 2-inch layer of Vaseline mixed with several pounds of builder's sand.

Sorry, spoiled by my iPad 3.

Will wait for retina model next year.

I think you need to look up the definition of hyperbole. The screen is not retina, but its perfectly usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.