All iPads iPad mini or iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Olivia23, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I cannot decide but I want to buy either an ipad mini or the ipad 4 tonight or tomorrow. Trying to decide which one I would like better.

The mini is more portable but does not have a retina display. I know that much but how about the people who own a mini. Are you happy or should I just go for the 4?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have a retina iPad or iPhone now? If not, get the mini. It's more portable. It comes down to what you want and where you'll use it.

3. Olivia23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I have the first gen iPad. It is so slow and stutters a lot. I cannot download a lot of apps because of no front facing camera. I like the size of the iPad, I just know that the mini is a little bit cheaper. Not the biggest deal I guess, but who knows, I may like it.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh, if it's about price then the mini wins. If you like the size of the iPad you have, then I'd say save a bit more and buy the 4.

5. TofSanity macrumors 6502

TofSanity

I've sold my iPad 4 to get a mini just so I could try it out until the iPad 5 comes out. Setting the non-retina screen aside I much prefer the iPad 4. Yes the mini can be put into a coat/jacket pocket and even in jean pockets if you have the right size pockets. But when looking at spreadsheets the size, to me, is too small. so, I will be handing my mini down when the iPad 5 comes out.

Not sure that helps you in your decision, just my experience from a mini user/owner and former iPad 4 user/owner

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Buy one, try it, return it and try the other. Only you know which is better for you.

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I feel like you should go with the 4. If you like the size of the iPad, then the iPad 4 size should be really nice for you. The retina screen and front facing camera will be brilliant as well!

Best of luck with your decision.

8. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

Ironic I read this today. Freshly delivered from apple, I had an iPad 4 retina and an iPad mini. Wondering which one to choose.

I manage a team of developers and had the first pick at the mobile testing devices. I hvae a macbook pro retina and yes, the retina screen is awesome. That was what I thought I wanted, but I tried both devices...

The iPad 4 was a lot like my old iPad 1, just fast and crystal clear.

The iPad mini was shocking ly lightweight (full pount lighter) and even though not a retina screen, the WEIGHT alone made the desicion easy for me... I gave the iPad 4 to my coworker.

9. tazz3 macrumors regular

The mini is to small for me.
    I got a refurbed iPad 4 32 gig from apple for 499 .
    This thing is awesome its brand new ,new battery and outer shell

10. m1key macrumors member

First off, do not buy either right now because they will come up with newer versions within the next couple months. If you are buying them because you don't care about having the newest and greatest models, and you're getting a good deal on them by all means go for it.

In regards to your original question, I like my retina iPad (3rd gen). This preference totally depends on what you will be using it for. I'm a medical student and I bought it to annotate my coursepacks and put all of my medical school books on it. However, when I get to 3rd year and i'm in the hospital on rotations, I'll prolly pick up an iPad mini because it'll fit in my pocket and I'll be using it to reference stuff. So even with me my needs will be changing and I will probably get a mini in a year. What will you be using it for?

11. Szarky macrumors 6502a

I agree. If you can get a deal or can't wait, get one now. But if you can wait a few months definitely wait to make your decision on Mini 2 vs iPad 5. We all have general ideas what the updates will bring but no one knows 100% all the details so hard to compare unknown future models.

----------

Posted this in another thread, seems somewhat relevant in favor of the Mini:

I can't stand looking at my iPad 2(3+4 are so similiar, heavier but better screens) anymore after having used my girlfriends Mini for a few months now. When I look at my iPad I think to myself "who the hell ripped off that laptop screen, rotated it and started using it as a tablet." I understand the benefits of the bigger screen but I just can't get that thought of my head now when I look and use the 2.

The weight of the Mini is really pleasant as well. People defend the 2-4 that it's not that heavy and it isn't but the word "light" definitely doesn't come to mind when thinking about it. The Mini is just a joy to hold, it just feels good.

I really hope they put in Retina in the next one this Fall, if they do I'll be pre-ordering.

12. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I said this in another thread about this same subject and I'll say it again, while I love the form factor of my Mini I miss the retina display when I am doing a lot of web browsing and reading. That said, I've read some pretty lame comments about the poor screen quality on the Mini such as it was burning a users eyes and such, however, that is false. While I do think it would be a much better experience for reading if it had a retina display, it is still ok to read on and I've gotten by with it thus far.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

14. esskay macrumors 6502

Ideally, it's best to spend some time with a Mini to see how you like it and how it fits into your work flow... You already have a sense of how the larger one does. For me, the form factor of the Mini is fantastic but the tiny print is tiring for my crappy vision (it's not a retina issue though crispness is always nice especially for reviewing PDFs).

15. astoxos macrumors regular

Get the mini.

Sent from my Retina iPad using Tapatalk 2 :D

16. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I did the same as you, but with an iPad 3. And when the iPad 5 comes out, I'll also be selling my mini for it. The rumored decrease in size and weight of the new iPad is what I've been waiting for for so long. I have an iPhone 5 already and the mini is only 3.9 inches larger so I don't feel much of a difference in size. I used to be a supporter of the iPad mini's display when it first came out, but now I realize that I'm sorely missing the retina display. Fall couldn't come sooner!

17. TofSanity macrumors 6502

TofSanity

exactly! i just got it to see if i'd like it. size wise it has pluses & minuses. for my use i need the bigger screen. when the retina comes out it will be that much better for users that read books, game & surf the web and just want the small size

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I definitely look forward to reading my books and newstand magazines on the larger size as well. :D

Another thing I forgot to mention was storage capacity. I WANT that 128GB iPad! For me that's a huge advantage over the mini as I've maxed out the 64GB a long time ago already.

19. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

iPad 4. Because it has retina display. If the iPad Mini had retina then I would recommend the iPad Mini. But thats my opinion

20. TofSanity macrumors 6502

TofSanity

Other than spreadsheets for work I read a lot of comics so going back to the larger iPad will be very welcomed!

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the mini due to its size, imo the 7" formfactor is the perfect size for a tablet. The screen and performance of the iPad 4 is nothing to sneeze at but my larger iPad is left at home unused where as my mini comes with me quite often. What good is a larger tablet if you won't use it as much as the smaller one - just my $.02

22. m1key macrumors member

One of the few gripes I have with the iPad is its weight. It gets especially heavy if you put on a case. That's one thing I tend to appreciate about the mini. According to the leaks regarding the new future iPad, weight will decrease pretty dramatically because the device will be smaller even though it keeps the same size screen, the bezel around the screen will be decreased. This is in itself something you should wait for if you want to get an iPad.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

In my opinion, the iPad 4 is head-n-shoulders above any other competing tablet in the 10" range. Retina display, battery life, price.

The iPad mini doesn't seem like a bargain. There are quite a few quality 7"-8" Android tablets that sell for $100-200 LESS than the mini and offer comparable (and in some cases, better) features.

I have a 64GB iPad 4 (love it), a 16GB 7" Kindle Fire HD (rooted, very nice), Samsung GTab 2 7.0 (decent). I'm having a tough time resisting the 8.9" Nook HD+ for $149 (quality hardware, SD card slot, Retina-class display).

A 16GB iPad mini for $329 or 16GB Nook HD+ for $149?

But I know that I'm virtually alone in that thinking so take it for what it's worth.

24. ayres macrumors regular

If you want a mini, I suggest waiting for the update... The mini, like the first iPad, first retina mbp, and first mba, was introduced with better days in mind. I think the iPad 4 will hold up much better in the following years than the first gen mini.

I foresee the mini showing its age rather quickly. Mind you, I'm concerned not with sophisticated graphics, retina displays, and exotic apps. Rather I use my iPad 2 for casual Internet, news, YouTube, music, email, and word games. But even at that, the 2 is slowly beginning to show its age - namely with its limited ram. In fact, I think the mini's display is gorgeous. I'm disappointed with the full size iPad (3 & 4), which will only in this and the next iteration begin to overcome the bourdon that the retina display placed on the processing.

----------

Plus, if you can hold out, the next generation is sure to have better wifi connectivity.

If it were me, and I were forced to make a purchase tomorrow, I'd buy a used beater iPad 2 (or mini - something that you'll recoup you money when listing on cl), and wait for the upgrades later this year. Then, handle both sizes, and decide.

25. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I had both but I ended up keeping the 4 for the retina display. The form factor and weight of the mini is superior but that screen just pales in comparison. Colors, shading, text and gaming graphics were just better on the 4. The extra RAM and faster processor helps too. Since both of mine were 64GB LTE models, I had to decide which was truly the worth the money in the end so I sold the mini.

When you compare the two side by side you might be able to get a clearer picture :p

Attached Files: