iPad mini iPad mini or Kindle Paperwhite?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobbydaz, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bobbydaz macrumors regular

Okay I was about to pre-order a kindle but the iPad mini has got me thinking.

Basically I already own an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 but wanted a better device for reading books on my daily commute. I don't take my iPad with me as I find it too heavy and bulky on crowed trains.

My dilemma is do I go for an iPad mini and use that as my main reading device with the added bonus of using it for movies, games etc or do I go with a Kindle and continue to use my iPhone for games & movies. I know the Kindle has a better screen for reading but can't justify travelling with iPad Mini, Kindle and iPhone.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Only you can make this decision.
    But I will say that I have an iPhone 4S, iPad [3] and the Kindle Paperwhite. I totally love my Paperwhite and for me, I need a dedicated eReader because I am always too tempted to tap away from reading and do something else on the iPad.
    The Paperwhite is amazing and I've already read a book and half on it and can easily sit and read it for many hours without fatigue of the eyes or from holding it.

3. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

If you want it mostly for reading books, then there's no contest: get a paperwhite

4. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

If you want the device for reading eBooks (not PDFs), I'm going to go with what the others have already said, and suggest you go with the Paperwhite. I've got a basic Kindle and it is a fantastic device, so I can imagine how much better the Paperwhite would be. It's small, lightweight, a joy to hold while reading, and I use it nearly every single day, and love it.

For me I read a lot of PDFs, which I have to print out to read, and I'm looking for a device that is like my Kindle in size, but displays and views PDFs well. The Kindle doesn't do this, that's not really what it's for, so for me the mini is something I'm looking at, though if I get one it would still not replace my Kindle, no way. The battery life, the easy and joy of holding and reading books on my Kindle I doubt any iPad will be able to beat.

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

That is a tough decision. I had a kindle and sold it to grab an iPad 2. Big mistake. I have not read as many books, and when I finally make the determination to crack one open in iBooks or the kindle app, I get sidetracked at some point.

If you are serious about reading, get the paper white. You have an iPad 3 anyway.

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Both. The Paperwhite absolutely eclipses any tablet for linear ebook reading. Got mine this morning (UK), it is sweeeet!

7. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm probably the closest to your position... I had a Kindle (3rd Gen), and picked up a Kindle Paperwhite at Best Buy the other night. It was $120. I got it home, turned it on, and absolutely LOVE it...

I went with the paperwhite, because my next option was $499-699 for a comparable iPad, and I have a 11" macbook air. I didn't want an iPad because I couldn't justify two almost identical screens in my travel bag.

Then the wammy... the iPad Mini. For just more than twice the price of the Kindle Paperwhite, I get so much more, and the Kindle App for iPad is fantastic. So yeah, for me it's a no-brainer, the Kindle is going back in favor of an iPad Mini.

But, for those who say "for not much more" ... still have to remember you can buy almost 3 kindle paperwhites for the same price as you can buy the entry iPad mini for, so it's a huge cost upgrade, but still comes in $200 less than the previous iPad...

I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree with the others... if you want a pure reading device, the kindle is a way to go. The kindle paperwhite is the best kindle and best reading-only device ever made. For me, I like being able to get distracted and play a movie, etc. I find that on airplanes I often get bored reading and pull out my iPhone 5 to watch a movie, and that drains the battery and screen size isn't ideal. I think for ME the iPad mini will solve all of life's problems.... hehe ok maybe that was a bit dramatic, ;-)

Hope my 2 cents helped.

8. castatop macrumors newbie

I'm an iPad 3 owner and I wish to buy a Paperwhite (in Italy we have to wait until december).

Now I'm considering to sell the 3 and preorder the Mini, for on occasional readings, giving up the Kindle.

What do you think?

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I don't have the Kindle Paperwhite, I do have a Kindle Keyboard. I love reading on it. I would not give up my Kindle if I got an iPad.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't understand this discussion... They are very different products. It's like saying "Should I get a car or a bike?" Sure they both have overlapping functionality regarding being able to get you from point A to point B, but I think there are very few situations where people would not be able to figure out which one was right for them.

The paperwhite is an e-reader and nothing more. Sure it's possibly the BEST e-reader on the market, but that is what it's for. If you want to read books, then the paperwhite is definitely the better option. Plus it's $200 cheaper.

The iPad mini can do ebooks, sure. But it's a computer.

"Should I buy an iMac or the DaVinci Code... " :p

The kindle fire is a much better comparison to the iPad mini

11. Daws001, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

I actually just sold my Paperwhite to help fund the iPad mini (thanks, Mum!). My reasoning:

For just reading books, the Paperwhite is the best e-reader I've ever used. The built in light is fabulous, the device is noticeably quicker and more responsive than the previous Kindle Touch (also owned), and it's light, feels comfortable in your hand for long reading sessions, and the battery life is...well, it's so good you don't have to think about it.

With all that said, I read a lot of comic books and magazines and I'm trying to go paperless and get more of my textbooks in digital format. Currently I'm reading comics on my iPhone 5 and it's no fun (/squint). I had an iPad 3, upgraded from a 2, and it was just too heavy to be comfortable as an e-reader. I ended up selling and got a MBA instead.

So, in the end I'm giving up better battery life and a more comfortable book reading experience for an all-in-one uber e-reader. It feels more than worth it. Another thing to keep in mind is that you have more ebook options such as Nook and iBooks. I've had several occassions where Amazon didn't have the Kindle book I wanted (only physical copies) but I didn't really have the option to see if B&N or whoever else did because it's limited. I guess there's like ePub or whatever, but I'm fairly ignorant on those options.

And yes, like you, I can't see myself carrying a Kindle, iPad mini, MBA, and iPhone with me. I have the bag space but maybe it's an OCD thing or something (SIMPLIFY!). The Kindle had to go.

Anywho, /end rant. Excited about the iPad mini!

12. bcoffeecat macrumors newbie

I'm going to echo what a few other people said here - my Kindle Paperwhite is absolutely the best e-reader I've ever used. I'd say it's the first mature E-ink device out there.

I'd never replace my Kindle with an iPad - it's too large and bulky. But the iPad mini is exactly the right size for me, as an e-reader and a general media consumption device.

That's why I'm strongly considering retuning my Kindle and getting an iPad mini, mainly because it can do so much more. I'm planning on reading a lot on my iPad mini, but not just books - newspapers, PDFs, websites - and to me it makes sense to get the device with more features, even if it is more expensive.

The only thing that gives me pause is the iPad mini's (relatively) low ppi - even the Kindle Paperwhite has a higher ppi, though the Verge in its hands-on of the iPad mini said the display was sharp. I'm going to preorder the iPad mini and try it out before my Kindle's return period ends.

13. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

The Paperwhite is truly awesome, but I've thought about replacing it with the iPad mini. You're right on the money, though. I'll have to see the screen for myself before I make a decision. I'm not sure I'd like to buy another LED display that's non-retina. But maybe it isn't an issue with the iPad mini.

And I agree with others that having a single-purpose devices makes doing that single purpose so much easier. I think we're all little too ADD these days and multi-purpose devices do not help.

14. pruhawk macrumors member

Kindle - $119 and awesome reader

Mini - $329 with bigger screen

If all you need is a great reader - get the Kindle and iPad Mini 2 next year

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Get the standard kindle if you can't afford the paper white. It's less than 80 bucks and I can't imagine wanting to read in the dark. It also has the page forward and back buttons which is awesome. Dont buy an iPad expecting to read books, it will hurt your eyes and you'll hardly ever pick up a book on it.

16. token787 macrumors regular

token787

Paperwhite is awesome for reading. I like the Ipad but the light sometimes hurt my eyes when reading.

17. bcoffeecat macrumors newbie

Yeah, I used to subscribe to the notion that E-ink is "better" for your eyes - but when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense. Frontlight or backlight, all you're doing is sending photons into your eyes - your eyes don't know the difference between "reflected" light and "backlight", as long as the backlight is set to a low level - photons are photons.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Dude, you need to LOOK at both screens before making a statement like this...

19. Preds macrumors member

I had a Kindle Touch from June-Oct until I sold it on Amazon for $90 to go towards an iPad Mini. I found it to be too slow and limiting. It worked great in natural light, but when I looked at eBooks on my iPhone in color and with special features and what not the blah eInk of the Kindle just really stood out. The only advantage I found with the eInk was the more natural light you had the better it looked, and the anti-glare nature of the eInk in direct sunlight was fantastic.

I also tried a Paperwhite, but returned it after 2 days since I found the light to create a blotchy screen with uneven light patterns which was distracting while reading. Also, the blue reflective light (trust me it's blue in a dark room) was no easier on my eyes than my iPhone 5.

I would love to see and LCD/eInk hybrid, which is rumored to be in development.

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Wow... a new product comes out and all kinds of people need help deciding: Color, size, which device, should I get this or that....

Do you typically come onto public forums to ask people how you should spend your money? Car forum for car, maybe a house forum to by your flat? Sad.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Why is it sad to solicit other people's ideas and input? :confused:

22. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

For long periods of reading nothing beats kindle. Don't forget the much better battery life on kindle.

23. jojoba macrumors 68000

This.

Kindle readers are great, I have a Kindle Touch and a Sony T1 and love them both.

If you already have an iPad3, I think reading on the mini would feel like a compromise due to the lesser screen resolution (it would for me, at least, there is no way I'd be downgrading from retina now for reading). I would expect that the next gen mini comes with retina, so get a paperwhite now and then consider the mini next time it upgrades.

----------

Yep, sounds like a pretty smart thing to do, IMO, including in cases where you are spending a bunch of money on a car or a flat.

24. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because it's HIS/HER money, not ours. Only HE/SHE knows his wants, desires, financial situation, ect ect. Of course he/she comes here most will say get the iPM. Goes to a kndle site they will say get the Kindle most likely. PLUS an adult should be able to make several hundred dollar decisions on their own. What weight does my imput cary with OP? What weight does any of our opinions help. OP can find out any and all info any one gives him related to the two products by simply doing a search on google or going to the specific product pages.

PLUS he/she requested responses to his/her thread by the simple fact of posting it in a public forum. I gave my input even if it wasn't what he/she wished to read.

Get the iPM, wanted to stay on topic.